cloverskull

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Silicon Valley
Declaring interest.
Declaring interest. Does this come with all cables to attach to clockport header?

Thanks!

(Interest withdrawn here)

Last edited:

rayan259

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary
I toke video test for Cloverskull and Rapid road usb working but I do not know what happened , after 3 min light turned off and does not work now!

I had contact with icomp and they told me:

dies because of bad grounding and bad power supplies.
I'll have pre-programmed Xilinx parts when the new shop system can go.

But I have another Rapid road and working many years and I tested new rapid road with same system!!! Anyway I do not know what happened.
new price is for defective rapid road usb 190 CAD

Last edited:

cloverskull

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Silicon Valley
Interest withdrawn. (was previously declared here)
Unfortunately will be withdrawing interest in this case, but I wish you good fortune in finding a new owner for the card. Cheers and thanks for your honesty.

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Does his response mean the xilinx is what is fried and eventually he will have replacements?
They are well known to fail. Jens always claims it’s the 5volt rail which will fry them if NOT using a really good PSU, especially on the A1200 Clockport units. Have had 3 go bang (not literally) because of this. The only way to prevent this is to use one already plugged into the Clockport and using a powered USB hub. They are more reliable with the. X-surf100 plugged into the powered Clockport. I’m guessing this is why Icomp no longer sell them due to the mount of returns…..

Telsar

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
usa
Region
Fort Wayne, IN
They are well known to fail. Jens always claims it’s the 5volt rail which will fry them if NOT using a really good PSU, especially on the A1200 Clockport units. Have had 3 go bang (not literally) because of this. The only way to prevent this is to use one already plugged into the Clockport and using a powered USB hub. They are more reliable with the. X-surf100 plugged into the powered Clockport. I’m guessing this is why Icomp no longer sell them due to the mount of returns…..
There is a long dissertation on his site about how using the clock port cable was terrible and he lost money on these. He also says the USB chip is no longer available. If they can be resurrected with a replacment Xilinx, then, that is good news...

dotBtty

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Norge
Region
Oslo
2/3 of these of mine has broken down. I have modern power supplies from A-Power, so its clearly not only power problems, but others as well like:

a) Design is intollerant in some way for a failure that it should really be able to deal with. For my two Rapidroads I suspect the Clockport ribbon was not properly inserted, but in the way that it had been partially been yanked out (not wrongly plugged in).
b) Clockport in itself is extremely easy to plug wrongly in direction or scewed. It does not help that different revisions has cable swapped around. The design should try to harden as much as possible in those events with resistors/capacitors/diodes to prevent harm on the electronics. Its just bond to happen with the way clockport is designed.

Its a shame because the Rapidroad is actually a good product and for long time the only available USB solution. I hope someone makes some alternative soon like through SPI or via A314 or EMU 68.

...but for the time beeing I guess I just will survie without USB on most of my Amigas and besides I get more budgets not having to purchase a replacement Rapidroad each year.....

Interest Queue

Interest Queue

Top Bottom