raytracing on the Amiga

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
hello all...

as the old grey matter fades with age.....can anyone remember a Raytracing program that was on the amiga

my friend (computer geek first class) used to render a car in a matter of a few minutes (on his then new A1200 in 1993) and tho it was basic it looked good...

id love to do some raytracing with my A4000 ...

but what was it called?

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Lightwave!!

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Too many...

...Real 3D, Imagine 3D, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Sculpt.... :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Just check the CPU your Amiga is using: if the CPU accelerator have an EC or LC040 the Amiga don't have a FPU (floating point unit) enabled and then the render programs will crash.

Using the integer version of said programs will take ages to render a simple image.

Replacing the said FPU-less CPU with a complete, full-enabled one will cure the problem in a very cheap way.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Has anyone used an equivalent to Real 3D on a PC? Real 3D was my first taste of raytracing and 3D modelling and when I tried LightWave and Imagine, I thought they were rubbish. Not because they were poor programs, but because they used fiddly triangles and triangle meshes. What a horrible way to model objects, thought I!

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Google was my friend here and lightwave stood out a mile , so yes that was the program i saw all those years ago...i never used it , i dont recall if my A500 (1.3) could run it then.
my A4000 has fpu but an 030 at the min, soon to be 040 and a sneaky suspicion 060 later lol

ive found lightwave on an Amiga downloads website yay

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
Has anyone used an equivalent to Real 3D on a PC? Real 3D was my first taste of raytracing and 3D modelling and when I tried LightWave and Imagine, I thought they were rubbish. Not because they were poor programs, but because they used fiddly triangles and triangle meshes. What a horrible way to model objects, thought I!
I agree on the triangles. It was a pain to create organic objects, but at the time (until 1995 approx.) these prgrams (especialy Lightwave) were far the best. (That is ofcourse if you rule out Soft Image on SGI. :))

dibs

Danger!! Mines!!
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Guildford
hello all...

as the old grey matter fades with age.....can anyone remember a Raytracing program that was on the amiga

my friend (computer geek first class) used to render a car in a matter of a few minutes (on his then new A1200 in 1993) and tho it was basic it looked good...

id love to do some raytracing with my A4000 ...

but what was it called?

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Lightwave!!

Don't forget DKBTrace, which was also rendering glossy "futuristic" cars back in the 1990's... It was properly geeky too :), no fancy GUI front end, only text file input.

Follow this link for more: http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/<47ae6a7a@news.povray.org>/
I think v2.12 is on aminet if you fancy rendering it yourself.

dibs

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire

...Hilariously, triangles are actually what every other mesh is made of too. Modern lightwave/3d's max's fake meshes just make me laugh and go back to Zanosa Modeler.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Just check the CPU your Amiga is using: if the CPU accelerator have an EC or LC040 the Amiga don't have a FPU (floating point unit) enabled and then the render programs will crash.

Using the integer version of said programs will take ages to render a simple image.

Replacing the said FPU-less CPU with a complete, full-enabled one will cure the problem in a very cheap way.

Before towerising my Amiga 1200 I had a Microbotics MBX1200z which has an FPU and additional Fast RAM. This was ok for Ray tracing with Real 3D, granted nowhere near as fast as a 68030 or 40. Are there combined FPU and memory upgrades for the A4000?

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

@honestflames,

I have Real3D version 6, 64bit running on a PC. Although it's now called Realsoft 3D and the latest is version 7. The Realsoft 3D modeller takes a bit of getting used to if you've not used it since earlier versions.

http://www.realsoft.com/

Top Bottom