Re-capped and ready?

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Hi guys,

So I re-capped my A4000 motherboard and my 3640 and they should be ready to go (the motherboard also got a vinegar bath, a Distilled water rinse, and two days of drying before the re-capping. It also got a new battery holder, and some touch-up around the battery holder as well).

So is it ready? Other than putting it back into the case and firing her up, what should I do?

Included is a picture of the re-capped board (with two caps in the wrong place, which have been swapped :Doh: )

Thanks!

Attachments

• Recapped.jpg
    Recapped.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Great job, there is always an air of self satisfaction after recapping one our beloved Amiga`s, its life has been extended another couple of decades :)

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Great job, there is always an air of self satisfaction after recapping one our beloved Amiga`s, its life has been extended another couple of decades :)

Thanks! SMT is still a bit of a struggle for me (with hands the size of a gorilla's, it's a bit tough for me to get things placed correctly). But it came out okay. I used a hot air gun and copious amounts of Kapton tape to get the old caps off, so I'm pretty sure that I didn't do any additional harm to the board. The caps in the audio section had clearly been leaking, so they had to go. And since I was mucking about anyway, I did the entire board.

The good news is that the chips nearby didn't have any apparent damage other than a bit of greying of the solder joints (unlike my other A4000 board, which showed moderate to severe corrosion in this area). I can live with that.

The worst cap was the 22mfd by the stack of connectors in the upper left-hand corner of the board.

The freshly de-capped board (note the fingernail polish doubling as conformal coating near the battery :) ):

Attachments

• De-Capped.jpg
    De-Capped.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i suppose you could check the power supply?...wouldnt hurt to recap those.
i dont see many check this as well.:)

if you have large hands,you could tin one pad and place the part(i use tweezers) on one end with your soldering iron solder it down so its aligned then do the other end.
ive found a temp controlled iron with a fine tip,then again i dont use fix temp irons...even on ground plains

double backed sticky tape on the end of a pencil or screwdriver works as well,lol...if its in a hard to get to place

Last edited:

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Funny, my boss says the same thing... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Roy! Not a bad idea. And since I have two supplies, I can still use the Amiga while re-capping the other one.

I use a temperature controlled iron (a Xytronic lf-7000) with solder paste (one less thing to hold on to if I use paste). I tried wetting the tip of the iron with solder, and it worked okay, but not as easily as the paste. It's tip is a pretty fine chisel tip that with even the tiniest blob of solder on it you have a hard time telling its orientation (I'm going to put a witness mark on it higher up so I can tell the alignment at a glance).

As for the paste, it's from 2012, so it's past its expiration date, but a few drops of liquid flux brought it back to new.

So it looks like I should be good to go. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom