Real game or fake?

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
Can I ask your opinion if this Amiga CD game (Phoenix Fighters) is a fake or not? I just got it from eBay after looking for it for ages and I honestly am fining it had to make up my mind if it's a fake. I know it's hard to tell from a photo but the inlay looks like a home printer job to me, there is no printing on the back and the paper is slightly bent from the heat on the page during printing. Also the text on the spline looks all wishy washy.

The Disk itself looks like it might have a printed label on the top, but if you look at the actual underside it does not look like a black CD disk that has been written to as there is no burn line if you know what I mean.

The reason I am undecided about if this is fake or not is that the game was released in 1999 well after Amiga was available for sale so I'm thinking that maybe CD released games were done on the cheap and maybe they did not receive a big budget for creating games for a system that was (at the time) considered to be dead.

Appreciate your thoughts guys...

2015-05-06 17.35.47.jpg2015-05-06 17.36.02.jpg2015-05-06 17.36.08.jpg2015-05-06 17.36.16.jpg2015-05-06 17.36.25.jpg

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I've seen several of these kinds of Amiga games and I don't think it's fake as such. They can probably be considered as the 'indie' games of their time, coming from small independent companies which sold too few numbers to manufacture a proper box. The absence of a line on the CD could just mean that it is full? There is usually some small circular printed text along the inside edge of the CD which could indicate if it is burned or pressed.

Obviously if you saw some major well-known title printed like this, it might well be fake. :)

Edit: Looking closer at the pic, it looks to me like a printable CD-R.

Last edited:

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
Thanks for your thoughts demolition, I know what you mean about games from small independent companies, maybe that's what this game is then.

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
I think demolition is right, and it also depends on the value of the game. Not to discuss the price you paid, but is it generally valuable and sort after enough to be worth faking? Your best bet to be sure, is to find other owners and compare :)

Last edited:

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
Yer You are probably right slk486 who would want to fake an unheard of game like this. I was just a bit disappointed at the quality of the box, as I have been looking for it for a while now. It is a great game by the way if you've never played it it is worth tracking down.

slk486

VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
Yes, I think I will. Will try to get the unofficial CD32 patched version, to actually play.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
If this is from a particular eBay seller he has a lot of fake games for sale, if you found it elsewhere perhaps it's real.

As others have said some of the games, even originals were pretty low quality in the packaging department.

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
If this is from a particular eBay seller he has a lot of fake games for sale, if you found it elsewhere perhaps it's real.

As others have said some of the games, even originals were pretty low quality in the packaging department.

Am I allowed to quote the seller I got it from?

Edit: Actually scrap that I'll PM you Steve...

Last edited:

sneeker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Manchester!
Can't remember his usrtname, but I guess you bought it off a guy who has quite a few Amiga CD titles listed, all of which are fake, think there's a thread on eab about it.

slk486

VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand

Wait, are you saying that The Giana Sisters CD32 Amiga CD isn't real? :roll:

They are all released by Alive Mediasoft, who are apparently renowned for selling fake Amiga CDs, however it appears Phoenix Fighter was actually published by them in '99.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72253

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I seem to remember there are apps that can identify the original 'unwriteable' area of a burned disc, contains information like the disc manufacture and stuff like that. Imgburn may even be able to do this, I can't remember.

As for the burn line, that could be easy to hide if it was filled to the max capacity with dummy padding data.

Regards

freehand

Banned
Country
england
Region
norfolk
Looks like a modern day fake I was making copies much better than that over 10 years back but the pictures you have posted was your average attempt by an idiot back then.

Even if it is a low budget company or even a very small team involved or a one man band there is no excuse for the quality of the print, they obviously used a cd printer and even the first cd printers was capable of much much higher quality than in your pictures.

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
I agree freehand, since posting this I have returned the game to the seller just waiting for a refund now.

mwillerton

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/rdyg2i
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Kent
Yes this is a fake. The phone number on the disk is the giveaway!

Retro-Protect

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
Printable discs used to have a purple/blue back and matt front for printing on. The serial in the middle would usually say CDR or R D before or in the serial from recollection. I used to collect rare music CD/Vinyl so you had to be able to spot fakes. Is the cover printed both sides? Is the inner gloss, because it looks like printable photo paper.

Top Bottom