Really basic stuff about running programs

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
Hi, I know this will sound laughable to the veterans here, but how do I run programs on a stock Amiga 600 (stock except for a Gotek)? I've already googled what I was looking for, but I'm afraid that all the discussions I found presuppose the use of a hard disk, which I don't have.

So, I need to run two programs I found online: one is an .lha file and the other is a .dms file. My guess is that I have to write them on an an .adf image that then it'll get read by the Gotek, but how do I do that? Probably I'll have to use WinUAE, but how? There does not seem to be a straightforward way to do that.

P.S. I know that the disks won't boot by themselves, in fact, I was thinking that I'll have to read the disks and then run the programs from inside the Workbench.

btp

Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
Lha is a file archiver, a program that can compress files (like WinZip or WinRAR on the PC). Many Amiga software are released in compressed form (.lha files) that you need to decompress before you can use them. However, most Amiga games and quite a few Amiga utilities come on bootable floppy disks. So you are simply using these disks to run the game or utility. Now, Amiga disks (when not in physical disk form) are distributed as disk image files. These are created with the help of special programs that capture the contents of the whole disk in one file. The most common format of Amiga image files are .adf but there are more such as .dms

These image files can be used directly within an Amiga emulator (e.g. WinUAE) or in your Gotek drive connected to your Amiga to boot a game or utility. If you want to run programs that are on non bootable disks you will first need to boot your Amiga in Workbench (using a Workbench disk or disk images), which is the Amiga's Operating System. Then you can insert the disk with your program and run it from Workbench.

Hope this info will help you getting started and enjoy your Amiga!

Last edited:

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
Lha is a file archiver, a program that can compress files (like WinZip or WinRAR on the PC). Many Amiga software are released in compressed form (.lha files) that you need to decompress before you can use them. However, most Amiga games and quite a few Amiga utilities come on bootable floppy disks. So you are simply using these disks to run the game or utility. Now, Amiga disks (when not in physical disk form) are distributed as disk image files. These are created with the help of special programs that capture the contents of the whole disk in one file. The most common format of Amiga image files are .adf but there are more such as .dms

These image files can be used directly within an Amiga emulator (e.g. WinUAE) or in your Gotek drive connected to your Amiga to boot a game or utility. If you want to run programs that are on non bootable disks you will first need to boot your Amiga in Workbench (using a Workbench disk or disk images), which is the Amiga's Operating System. Then you can insert the disk with your program and run it from Workbench.

Hope this info will help you getting started and enjoy your Amiga!

Yes it did, thank you.

OK, so the .dms files are just disk file images, and I know how to boot and mess around in Workbench, so that part is solved. EDIT: Or is it? Read below.

Since I need a program to test my A600 keyboard, I tried this one (AMIGA-TEST-E.dms) in WinUAE, it works, it autoboots and it's got what I need.

The problem is that my Gotek doesn't load .dms files. How do I solve this? I tried ADF Opus but it gives me an error: "Couldn't unpack DMS".

So I went with the WinUAE route but I encountered another roadblock: I cannot see the files of my PC from inside the Workbench (see screenshot).

The drive is mounted, as you can see from the Workbench screen, but if I open it, the window is empty, and in the CLI Shell I cannot see the HDD (nor the floppy, weirdly enough). What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot (67).png
Screenshot

Last edited:

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
Update: I got past that block (I was using the wrong CLI commands), I can list my PC files inside WinUAE, now the problem is what to do with the .dms file. Can the Workbench handle it or do I need an external program?
Screenshot (68).png

btp

Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
IMO the best utility to test your Amiga (including testing the keyboard) is the Amiga Test Kit by Keir Fraser.
You can download the latest version from his GitHub: https://github.com/keirf/Amiga-Stuff/releases
In the above zip you can find a bootable disk image in .adf format. Boot your Amiga with that .adf and you can test almost everything!

Concerning .dms image files your best bet is to convert them to .adf before use.
You can do that under Workbench using the GoADF! utility (https://bitplan.pl/goadf)

WinUAE (https://www.winuae.net) supports .dms image files without an issue. So you can also load your dms image in WinUAE and then in your emulated Amiga environment simply diskcopy it to a blank disk that in reality is an empty adf image (also created by WinUAE).

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
DMS files are written to disk with a utility, aptly named.... DMS
I know, my problem is: how do I run it inside the Workbench? I lack even the most basic knowledge about how to run amiga programs who are not just bootable floppies.

Unfortunately most of the tutorials I found do not work, CLI commands seem to be different most of the times.

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
IMO the best utility to test your Amiga (including testing the keyboard) is the Amiga Test Kit by Keir Fraser.
You can download the latest version from his GitHub: https://github.com/keirf/Amiga-Stuff/releases
In the above zip you can find a bootable disk image in .adf format. Boot your Amiga with that .adf and you can test almost everything!
Amiga Test Kit worked, thanks. However, I'd still like to learn more about the Workbench.
Concerning .dms image files your best bet is to convert them to .adf before use.
You can do that under Workbench using the GoADF! utility (https://bitplan.pl/goadf)
This goes way above my head, the first problem are the requirements:

App Requirements​

Any Amiga 68k with:
  • CPU 68000 (68020+ is needed to use virtual drives)
  • 1Mb RAM
  • Kickstart 2.0+
  • HDD
I can get all this with WinUAE
  • xvs.library
  • locale.library v37
But I'm stumped about this part.

Sorry if I've no idea of what I'm doing, if it's too bothersome we can just give it up here. At this point I'm going forward just out of curiosity.
simply diskcopy it to a blank disk that in reality is an empty adf image (also created by WinUAE).
Can you tell me more about this? Maybe you could post an example of the full command? I just need the Workbench commands, I know how to make blank adfs with WinUAE.

btp

Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
If the dms image is from an AmigaDOS disk you can use the diskcopy command.
Be aware that in Amiga 's terminology the internal disk drive is called df0: the second disk drive df1: and so on. Some instructions on how to use this command can be found here:

Alternatively you can use the most famous Amiga disk duplicator software: X-Copy
You can download a bootable adf of it from here:
It has a nice gui to guide you copying disks but if still looks complicated to you, just search on YT and you will find many videos about it

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
This seems to be a windows program for converting dms to adf etc..
I have not used it myself.

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
This seems to be a windows program for converting dms to adf etc..
I have not used it myself.
I just converted a floppy and tested it on the Amiga: it works, thank you.

Ninehalt_Sieger

Country
Italy
Region
Sardinia
If the dms image is from an AmigaDOS disk you can use the diskcopy command.
Be aware that in Amiga 's terminology the internal disk drive is called df0: the second disk drive df1: and so on. Some instructions on how to use this command can be found here:

Alternatively you can use the most famous Amiga disk duplicator software: X-Copy
You can download a bootable adf of it from here:
It has a nice gui to guide you copying disks but if still looks complicated to you, just search on YT and you will find many videos about it
OK, I'll check this stuff out.

Top Bottom