recommend a decent Web browser for classic 030 machine?

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland
What's the best option for my A1200 030/128mb now she's online?

I'm not expecting to watch YouTube or netflix :)

What's the opinion of lynx the text based browser?

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
A long time ago now, but I remember using voyager with god results(good luck with acquiring a full version tho´).
I was happy with lynx on linux...not seen that for WorkBench
AWeb even seemed to work 100% with OWA for exchange server 2010.

...So it depends on what you need mate :)

With 030 I would not even expect to bother with enabling pictures in the browser.

I recommend starting out with AWeb. You can play around with setting and see how your favourite websites appear. I believe you can spoof as another browser to achieve different modes...like full desktop or mobile, and things might even move around.

Good luck ;)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Never heard of lynx but I use aweb and Ibrowse they're ok for basic Web pages like aminet but most modern sites don't display correctly.

Last edited:

rossi46

Country
Region
Scotland
I downloaded the Lynx.lha file from aminet last night but I can't make it execute.

I intend to check mail and post on forums only with my A1200.

And see if there are any decent .iff wallpaper backgrounds to download.

Last edited:

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
Well, email is a completely different beast....

Lets say you have a gmail account with about 3800 emails directly in the inbox...at least 1400 of them have attachments over 2MB.
What do you think is going to happen ? :)

My personal findings is: Don´t bother using an account you have used for years. Yor amiga is never going to be able to download al the emails before your HW is dead, that, and what about all the attachments?...it´s gonna keep crashing and chrashing.

I gave up...but if you use the rest of the day, you might be up and running :D

rossi46

Country
Region
Scotland
Lol I suppose, if I'm honest, there really isn't a practical modern day use for my machine. The challenge was to get online. Now that's done, I'm not sure what's next for it.

Are any browsers kept up to date these days? Which is the most recent one? I was using ibrowse last night but only the version on the cd as my hdd based one says something about inappropriate protocols or something.

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
Sure there are :)

MSN ( shut down or not? )
IRC
various other chat clients
read email in browser, like on gmail.com or webmail for exchange

Voyager vent vaporware years ago...when the x-files was coming out ?, but AWeb is not that old...not sure, but I managed with it in 2010 or so.

Sir_Lucas

Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@rossi46
I think only IBrowse 2.4 is the only option. After some tweaking it can be quite fast. You can visit Amiga friendly sites - Aminet, AmigaWorld.net etc.
Don't forget to install Mui 3.8 as well.

You can get it here:

http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/

Also:

Search Aminet:
FTP - ATC, AmFTP, AmiFTP, Simple FTP
IRC - Amirc, WookieChat, Black Irc

Last edited:

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
There is a lighter version of Ibrowse available.
That's Ibrowse 1.2 full version offered on an Aminet CD (can't remember which one).

Nobby_UK

Country
England
Region
Liverpool, Lancs
[h=1]IBrowse 1.2 on Aminet CD[/h] Aminet CD 24 features the latest version of IBrowse, a very powerful Web-Browser. The only significant restriction of this version is that you cannot open more than two browser windows at the same time.
For installation, you can simply drag the IBrowse drawer to your hard disk. In addition you'll need a TCP/IP stack; you may want to look into Miami (found on this CD) or AmiTCP-demo (found on Aminet).
You can of course use IBrowse to access Aminet.

rossi46

Country
Region
Scotland
I'm finding that ibrowse 2.4 works well for me. Aweb always comes up with a 'can't open gadgets' error, no matter the version I'm using.

The twitter client, I'm definitely going to check out.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I'm finding that ibrowse 2.4 works well for me. Aweb always comes up with a 'can't open gadgets' error, no matter the version I'm using.

The twitter client, I'm definitely going to check out.

You probably need some kind of 'gadget' in you Classes/Gadgets drawer, have a quick read of the documentation I'm sure it will tell you the requirements.

I agree IBrowse does a good job, just turn off Java otherwise you have to wait a long time for time-out's as many pages just don't work with it.

Otherwise it does a good job of basic sites.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
In UNIX we used to sometimes remote log into a server and use the export display commands to use the more powerful processing and memory of that system to display graphical applications on the local server/desktop computer. Was just wondering if the Amiga through networking could possibly do something similar e.g. run a remote browser on a PC or Linux box or even an Amiga forever session and have it display on the Amiga?

Ed.

CrazyC

Damn these amiga bills keep adding up
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Kent
I did at one point use TwinVnc to remote desktop to the PC next to my Amiga, and it did work kinda, but it was more to see if I could, and the display resolutions were so different it was not much fun. If I had changed the PC resolution it would have been better, but it was my daily desktop machine so I didn't want to mess with it.

Cheers
C.

NovaCoder

Nova
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
That NetSurf was slow --- not on your machine (Nova) surely ?

Nope that wasn't my machine, I think it was on a 50Mhz 060.

That's a very old build of NetSurf AGA though, it might be a bit quicker these days.

BTW, Chris (OS4 NetSurf developer) is currently working on a new (native) NetSurf build that might be faster still when they get it running properly.

Top Bottom