Reconditioning an Amiga 2000

mikem

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Diego, CA
I recently scored an Amiga 1000 and 2000 for my collection and would like some feedback on the best way to recondition the 2000.

The case is a little yellowed/discoloured, but it's a metal case so I don't think Retr0Bright is the answer (unless I'm mistaken?). What's the best way to get this baby looking new again? Wash/soak it with bleach with the front panel removed? There aren't really any scratches on it so I'd prefer not to repaint if at all possible.

Also, what is the "best" version of Kickstart & Workbench to use on an A2000? It currently has the 1.2 ROMs installed and I figure it should at least be at 1.3 to be useful, but maybe a higher version would be better?

Thanks in advance.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
For the case, I'd retr0bright the front panel and re-spray the metal. Merlin recommends "Austin Rover Old English White acrylic aerosol paint" for the classic beige look, if you can get it in your neck of the woods. Check out your local auto dealer and see if they stock it.

As for the Kickstart ROMs, it all depends what you want to do with the Miggy. If you're going to stick with the classic, get a 1.3 ROM in there so you can boot from a hard disk. Otherwise, you might as well go all the way and put Kick 3.1 in there. With an '020 or better CPU card, you can quite comfortably run Workbench 3.5 on there, or even 3.9. There is even a fair range of '040 and '060 cards if you're that-way inclined. For the full ECS experience, see if you can track down a Super Denise graphics chip and a Chip RAM expansion.

Top Bottom