Refurbishing Commodore paddles

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I recently got a pair of Commodore paddles for my Vic. According to the test program found from Vic-20 Prgrammer's Refrence Guide, the paddles work but the variable resistors are probably in need of a change. When the knob is all the way right, it gives "0" in readout but when I turn the knob a tiny bit to the left, the value is instantly "255". If tap the knob, the readout will then be correct. Can the resistors be refurbished or should I just get replacements? Has anyone changed the resistors into their paddles? How can the paddle be opened? Do I need to pull the knob off?

steve19550

AmiBayer
Country
Goole, Humberside, UK
Region
Yorkshire UK
Hi Protek,
The best option would be to replace the pots, (variable resistors) It's been a long time but, I think the casing was fused (glued) together. A bit of careful prying with a sharp hobby knife blade (WATCH FINGERS!) should after a fight, open the casing, exposing the pot. Don't panic, it can be glued back together afterwards. - not until youv'e tested the new pot fitted!!)
It will either be fixed in with a nut, (remove knob first! it should pull off - after a fight!) The wires will be solderded on so You'll need a soldering iron....
Look at the exposed pot, there should be somthing like "100K lin " printed on the pot. This is the value of the resistance - replacement pots are available from all electronics mail order outlets. If it's not marked, beg steal or borrow a multimeter and set to ohms and measure the resistance between the outer connectors. ( the middle on is the wiper that varies the resistance.) It will be linear - volume controls are logarmithnic and won't work as a control pot.
The new pot may have a long stalk for the control knob, just carefully cut to size with a hacksaw.
Hope this helps.
I think I have an old (working)- I think! ViC 20 breadbin somewhere. (Just the unit - nothing else surviving!) If you need it you can have it for postage. I'll check once my shed thaws out. PM me on this.
I can remember listening in awe to the strains of Gavotte on the introductory tape...
an amazing (then) demonstration of computer generated music. Sold me on Commodore from then on.
Cheers
Steve

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
If protek isn't interested in the VIC-20, I certainly am.

Thanks

Merlin

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Thanks for the instructions! That'll be a lot of help.

Well, since I got one Vic with the works, I'll pass this offer in favor for Merlin. :) Thanks anyway!

steve19550

AmiBayer
Country
Goole, Humberside, UK
Region
Yorkshire UK
Hi Merlin,
No problem, I have a broken wrist and a clipped vertibrae (ice!) and my shed is under 2 ft of snow.....
As soon as I can I'll dig it out I'll pm you.
Be paitent Please.
As I said it was working, but that was long ago, memory not what it used to be.
It possibly is one I fixed and the customer never came back for it.... I am sadened when I think of the stuff (!) thrown into the skip when I retired.... NEVER NEED THIS AGAIN....
As for me, I was lucky, job and hobby in one, really getting paid to play all day,
I, for 15 years ran a computer maintenance business here in Goole, If I had sixpence for every Spectrum, C64 and Amiga and anthing between I'd repaired well......

I might have a modulator unit, and you will, if I can find it, get it with the vic
I'll weigh it for postage, no frills, no profit. Won't be that much. You paypal me postage and I'll post next day.
As I said it's yours.
cheers

Steve
BTW
You wouldn't know of the whareabouts or have a cyclone device for the amiga possibly for sale?
I'm in the market for one.
Keep an eye out for me?
Cheers
Steve

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I used to make Cyclone dongles back in the Miggy days. If I can find the circuit diagram amongst my pile of discs I'll post it on here. There might be a diagram on Aminet, although I haven't looked.

I'm sorry about this :oops:, but I have to ask this question, as it's bothered me for years; what are people from the Goole area called? Are they Goolians, the more obvious name that most people quote, which I can't really quote on here :whistle:, or something else?

Thanks

steve19550

AmiBayer
Country
Goole, Humberside, UK
Region
Yorkshire UK
Hi Merlin
In reply to your off topic question...
Goole is also known as sleepy hollow. I'm not sure what people who come from goole are called. ( I've only been here 24 years...and some people are only speaking to me now!! I think I'm up for my honarary yorkshireman award next year!) We do have a motorcycle club called the wobbly goolies! question answered.
Whatever it's population wants to be or is called, Goole has given me and my family a good living , the people are in the main friendly and pleasant. I've for my pains, been a councillor, chaired the local YMCA and when in business, employed 7 local people.
Good workers too.
We all have this thing about being somewhere else but Neither, on balance, have Goole or I have done badly out of me coming here. I came originally because my future brother in law's penfriend lived here! - Strange but true. Funny how things turn out.
Cheers
Steve

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Took a quick look at the paddles. The case is on screws and the knob pulls off neatly. The varable resistor says "Toyo" and "500KB". Can the resistor be 500K?

steve19550

AmiBayer
Country
Goole, Humberside, UK
Region
Yorkshire UK
Hi Protek
Yes, it's a 500k pot. the "b" on the end might denote the grade of resistance coating on the actual track or denote (unlikely) the type of variable resistor.( linear are normally marked "lin" and log "log"!)
With a multimeter you can tell the difference between a linear and log pot by connecting the meter across either end and the middle connection(high ohms range it's a 500k pot.) a linear pot will give a steady increase end to end, a log pot will appear to go all the way (meter reading!) for a very small movement of the spindle.
I'm (99.9999%) certain it's a lin pot in your case.
You are lucky, undoing screws is far better than sliced fingers! (experience!)
Good luck
Steve

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Hi, me again, Been thinking, (rare event)
While it's apart, try cleaning the pot inside (YES INSIDE) with wd 40 or similar electrical cleaning spray. Dont soak it too much (it'll run out anyway) work the spindle a few times.
Test it on computer. if ok just replace casing and use. If the resistance reading was jumpy, or failed to get up to very near 500k you'll have to replace the pot.
I've looked here in the UK and they are freely available from almost all the mail order electronic component sellers, do a search on google.
It might also, if you go down that route to measure the physical size if the actual pot. They are usually 1.5 to 2.5 cm across. Check the one you get will fit in the housing.
Steve

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
PM replied to ;)

Top Bottom