Removing GameBoy Internal Speaker Whine

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I'm hoping one of the many amazing electronics gurus here might have a quick answer for this.

I have an original Gameboy (DMG) that has terrible whining noise from the internal speaker but the sound is crystal clear with no whining when I use headphones. I have installed an El Wire backlight mod on this but it is not the cause of the whine because it still happens when I disconnect the inverter. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

Heather

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
It could be but it sounds like a whine like you would get from a ground loop issue.

Heather

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
yeah,but i dont think you would not hear it through earphones if that was the case.

have you gave it a good look over?
does it use those crappy nylon speakers?

then again,its not like we can see it infront of us so i could very well be wrong...but i have seen this happen in old audio equipment that turned out to be the speakers cone.or coil.
ive even seen it on valve sets...although that was for a very different reason due to the way they work.i wont bore you with the speaker setup on old valve radios,lol

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I'll check out the speaker to try to verify whether or not it's the culprit. I'll have to look up the information online for the specs. Thanks for the idea! I'll let you know what I find.

Heather

Top Bottom