removing school name scratched into case.

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
Alright, so I've been given an a1200 that used to be a school's, up until about 2002.

After finding a screw for the floppy drive, banging it until the RF output works properly (I could only get a picture with the TV set to use compostite, and BOTH rf and composite plugged in), and giving it a bloody good scrub (nasty school keyboards), I've come to the final hurdle:

They scratched the name of the school into the case with what looks like a pin, right next to the amiga logo. What can I do to get it off? sand it?

I'll add a picture in the morning.

macwhoelse

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Exeter, Devon
It depends how deeply it has been scratched I suppose. Sanding may make it worse. You could cover it with an Amiga logo sticker perhaps. Failing that you could maybe just buy a new outer case. Here's a BIN auction at Flea Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMMODORE-AMI...pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item43a1938dbc

Good luck if you try the sanding route. I would like to see a before and after pic if it works.(y)

Mac:rainbow:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Another option is sanding the place to sack the elevating plastic, then filling the gap with plastic filling (the thing used to repair car's body), then spray paint the case with the same off-white of the Amiga.

Too much job for the restoration? Then buy a new outer case.

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
Sanding and bodyfiller. Sounds good.

On second thoughts, I'm going to leave it for a bit. Maybe when I get the funds I'll hack up a 1200 laptop.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
I would love to have an A1200 laptop, but how would it fit without chopping the board like the A1200 into an A600 case? ALl laptops I have seen are not wide enough.

I am thinking of an A600 laptop because of the small board size. but getting a 1200 board into a laptop I don't get hehe does it involve chopping the board?

Cheers

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Hell Labs

1. Car Body Filler or Cellulose Knifing Stopper will fill in the scratches successfully.
2. A quick coat of matt white primer.
3. A final coat of Austin Rover Old English White spray acrylic paint, applied from about 12" away, so that you get a 'textured' finish like the original case.

Job done.

(y)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Not cheaper to just buy a new shell? :LOL:

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
I would love to have an A1200 laptop, but how would it fit without chopping the board like the A1200 into an A600 case? ALl laptops I have seen are not wide enough.

I am thinking of an A600 laptop because of the small board size. but getting a 1200 board into a laptop I don't get hehe does it involve chopping the board?

Cheers

When laptopping a machine like this you never use a real laptop as a base, as the screen's control logic is always in the motherboard. You have to do everything from scratch. So I think if I build a wooden case and put a 14" LCD TV in the top half it's a job well done. I want to use the standard keyboard anyway.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A guy named Ben Heck on USA did an awesome job like this with a C64 laptop, and also on an Atari 2600!

Last edited:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Jimbo1979

Maybe you need to read up on Project Suzanne here

This was A600 based but the principles also apply to the A1200.

(y)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
There is also the option of finding an old dead PC laptop which has a case big enough to fit the Amiga motherboard in. Obviously with the A1200, the motherboard is too long, unlike the A600 which lends itself well, but you could perform the A1200 in an A600 trick to reduce its size and make it fit.

Also if you find one that fits, you might also be able to interface the laptop case's existing keyboard with the Amiga instead of trying to get the A1200 one to work. Would make it a proper laptop with closing lid.

I'm sure it is possible,but a lot of work and time needed, and some electronics experience to get the motherboard shortened and the keyboard interface working with a laptop one. Would be great though.

Regarding filling the scratches. Another option is a modelling compound called milliput. I used to use this all the time for model building and lead figures. It is used to fill and smooth out cracks in joints etc in models, sculpture, making models, restoring porcelain and clay pots, plugging holes in boats, plumbing... the list goes on. It is a 2 part epoxy type compound that comes in 2 putty like sticks which you combine together with your fingers and then work into the required shape. Once dried it is rock hard and can then be sanded.

And you can get a superfine white version which might match the Amiga case. Sanding with a very fine grade wet and dry sandpaper would also give a good finish.

Failing that, as others have said, I would just get a replacement case. It is what I did when I got hold of one of my A1200's and it had a broken case.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Hell Labs

He may just be using the screen and maybe the touchpad from the laptop, I've seen several A600s fitted out with PSOne screens and the like.

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
You can't use the screen either, each panel has the control logic built into the laptop motherboard to make them thinner. PSOne screens are different, as those are designed to take RGB anyway. That is why you can't use an existing laptop case, a compatable screen won't fit.

I can't imagine the touchpad being any different either. But I think you can get PS/2 ones.

Personally I'm going to get the biggest LCD TV I can afford, wire up the rgb out to the scart input, and shove it all in a big wooden case. The biggest problem is going to be dealing with the 1200s power requirements.

Where is that 600 laptop someone made not so long ago? Not suzanne, the other one.

Top Bottom