Removing SIMMS fron GVP HD8+

nikos.rizos

Computer Warrior
AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
Silly question. I got a GVP HD8+ with 4MB memory (4 X 1 MB standard 30 pins simms) and I decided to upgrade to 8 MB. I got 2 X 4MB simms but there is a small issue. I don't know how to remove the old memory modules !! Usually 30 pins simms have on either side a small bracket securing the module You push those brackets and pull the module towards you to take it out. There is no such thing in the gvp though. I am afraid that if I use to much force I'll brake the module socket. Any help?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@nikos

my friend, unfortunately, using both thumbs place either side of the ram holder gently squeez you thumb against the plastic holders either side.

To equip the HD8+ for 8MB using 2x 4MB 30pin simms you need to populate the first two ports and change the chmpers to 8MB accordingly.

good luck, and remember to be gentle - but firm.

HyperD

Country
Germany
Region
Deutscheland
I think you got the great and beautiful item from me :cool:
Yes the simms are very tight in the socket.
The best way is stick something in one side of the little hole and push the little clip downwards and then push the side out the socket.
The other side is than no problem.

nikos.rizos

Computer Warrior
AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
Thank you both for your help! Yeap Almaniac it's yours. I decided to give it a slight boost in mem. I will try in a few hours like you said. Hope I don't brake anything. I guess I need to begin from the simm that is closer to the edge of the case and leave last the one that is closer to the configuration jumpers.

storhemulen

AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
BUMP!

The design of these sockets are the worst I have ever seen. The only way to remove the SIMMs is by a direct hit with some nuclear warhead.

If by chance i manage to remove them, do anyone know if it is possible to have 4MB by using a single SIMM? I have 2x4MB placed at CN16 and CN17, with J5 and J14 set. As I also have a GVP A3001 with 4MB RAM that is sadly placed in Zorro space I must remove 4MB from the HC+8.

I assume the 4MB placed on the A3001 is better to have than 4MB on the HC+8. If not I might as well disable the A3001 RAM.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm not familiar with the A3001, but in general, FastRAM on the accelerator card is always better than FastRAM anywhere else.

According to Amiga Resource (http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact500mk2) the HD8+ supports 4MB SIMMs, so you should be able to use one 4MB SIMM in it and use the other 4MB from your accelerator.

I'm quite surprised that the HD+8 uses 30pin SIMMs, I'd have expected those hateful 64pin GVP SIMMs!

Good luck!

(y)

storhemulen

AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
I was thinking of removing only the 4MB SIMM in the CN16 socket and keeping the jumper positions, but I also have some 1MB SIMMs lying around that I can use instead and that setup is more straight forward.

Since the SIMMs were so hard to remove I don't want to fiddle around more than necessary. I used a small screw driver for the small plastic retention springs and then pliers to pull the SIMM out! No human alive could have done it with hands only.

Quite annoying though I have to cripple the HC+8 by removing half of the RAM just because the A3001 accelerator puts the on-board memory into Zorro space...

Oops, I now realise the OP was referring to the A500 SCSI controller by GVP. Well, the problem with removing the SIMMs are the same for the HC+8 Zorrro-board.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Leave the SIMM units where they are and simply move the jumpers to add only 4Mb to the system.

That's what I did on my A2k with the exact same setup.

Top Bottom