Repair/Replace broken plastic on 1541 ?

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I'm asking this in the case of a 1541 which I am waiting to receive from a recent purchase on the other bay but I guess it can be in general for all old computers and accessories.

Some of you might be aware that some of the older model Commodore 1541 disk drives (The ones with the built-in power supply) crack around the top half of the case on the the edges between the two halves. The cracked parts usually break off. You can compare it in a way to the way older white and black Macbooks crack around the edges.

Is there any method of filling in or replacing somehow the missing plastic and restoring it ?

See the pic attached to see what i'm talking about. In the case of this 1541 it is the left front.

Attachments

• 1541.jpg
    1541.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 0

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
looking at the picture(it isnt all that great focus wise) a part of the top case isnt cracked but missing completely otherwise it could of been glued back on with two part epoxy resin.then flatted down to fit.

i dont know if you can see it,but if i look at the drive in the bottom right hand corner it seems to have cracked and broken,or someone has tried to glue it back together,you could if your brave enough break the shoddy job of glueing it and reset it.

filling the missing broken top case will be a pain as its a cavity behind it that requires a lip for it to overlap the bottom half.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hi Dougal,

There was a thread started the other day showing some mouldable plastic, Polymorph. https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?60718-C64-Case-Clip-repair

Lol, demolition beat me to it. :LOL:

Maybe make a screen or shuttering on the outside of the case using the existing case texture then use some Polymorph to rebuild the side wall, pushing it into the shuttering. It might need some kind of anchor inside the case if there's room. Restoring the colour would be a different problem.

Ed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom