Replacing A1200 Caps with Solid State Caps

trip6

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Buffalo, New York
I am thinking about having my buddy (who owns an electronics repair shop) replace all the caps on my A1200 with Solid State Caps... Has anyone run into any problems with doing this? Does anybody know what spec caps I will need and how many of each? Your help is greatly appreciated. I heard that rubicon are a good brand.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Just use miniature (not SMD!) caps with the same specs as the SMD ones (or better - higher voltage).
I did this on my A1200 & A4000.

Tumo007

AmiBayer
Country
CANADA
Region
Québec
Higher voltage rating are'nt always better. Read about ESR. Usually higher voltage = higher ESR.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
In general, common (ordinary) actual through-hole capacitors are a better option than miniature ones because of the high ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) of those miniatures.

Rubicon is one of the top manufacturer of those babies. Common capacitors from today have the same size of the old SMD ones from when the Amiga was made.

Go for them without blinking!

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK
I would be interested in doing this on my 1200 as well, if anybody has a part list/BOM from somewhere like Farnell or Digikey (Yes I am lazy) I would be interested

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK
Yeah perfect, thanks foul. Told you I was lazy :)

Top Bottom