Restoring my A3000D

RuneRider

A1000 Keeper of the Faith
Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Now that I've restored my A1000 I'm moving on to an A3000 project.

I've got the roms on the way, as well as a coin battery replacement. The battery was in perfect looking condition but I removed it anyway.

I found some interesting looking blue stuff on the motherboard and am interested in knowing if any of you have seen this before.
MB 1.jpg MB 2.jpg

I'm not experienced with old systems other than owning several and don't know what this is. The motherboard is very dirty as well and I'm not sure what is the best solution to cleaning it.

Thanks for any help.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
That would be your battery juice. Neutralize with lemon juice and and clean up with IPA pronto!

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
That would be your battery juice. Neutralize with lemon juice and and clean up with IPA pronto!

Interesting. The battery looks good. I'll make the motherboard lemon fresh and clean it up with alcohol though as you say. Thanks for the help.(y)

P1170356.JPGP1170357.JPG

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Judging from the pictures, the negative end looks smudgy. I'm not an expert on these but I'd say it has leaked. You may also want to check the capacitors by the area of that green residue and in general.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm with protek on this, that really does look like battery residue. +1 for lemon juice, followed by IPA.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i would be very tempted to remove the parts to clean the board and components if they still work,that is definitely battery leakage..i dont know what your capable of doing,i just know i would.

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Judging from the pictures, the negative end looks smudgy. I'm not an expert on these but I'd say it has leaked. You may also want to check the capacitors by the area of that green residue and in general.

I've only seen images with ugly marks under the battery and damage to the board. Maybe the the stuff spayed out. I'm planning to re-cap the board as part of the restoration so that will cover their issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with protek on this, that really does look like battery residue. +1 for lemon juice, followed by IPA.

Thanks for being another set of eyes for me.

- - - Updated - - -

i would be very tempted to remove the parts to clean the board and components if they still work,that is definitely battery leakage..i dont know what your capable of doing,i just know i would.

I don't think I have the skill to remove & replace all those components but when I find someone to re-cap maybe they'll be skilled enough and have equipment to test as well.

I really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
Nice system, I always wanted an A3000. Good luck with your restoration (y)

Last edited:

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Motherboard examined and cleaned

Motherboard examined and cleaned

I spent several hours cleaning the motherboard today. I removed most of the blue oxidization but nor quite all.

MB Cleaned.jpg

There are some things that are odd to me about the board such as the wire soldered on the back side, some traces and the condition of the FPU. If anything in these pictures stands out to you please let me know.

P1170359.JPGP1170368.JPGP1170369.JPGP1170371.JPGP1170372.JPG

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Seems like you have a cut trace in the last pic... acid is very sneaky , when dealing with significant damage like this I usually leave the pcb overnight in a tray with lemon juice (or vinegar - my favorite for this) with enough liquid to cover the pcb and brush it with a toothbrush to help with chunks of acid.
Then do the cleaning process with IPA in the morning.

Last edited:

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Seems like you have a cut trace in the last pic...

Thanks for looking at the pictures. I can't see the cut trace though. Could you be more specific?

I usually leave the pcb overnight in a tray with lemon juice (or vinegar - my favorite for this) with enough liquid to cover the pcb and brush it with a toothbrush to help with chunks of acid.
Then do the cleaning process with IPA in the morning.

I just can't bring myself to do this. I'm not saying it's wrong, I simple can't do it right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom