resurrecting a dying 486 66 PC

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Ive managed to get old of my 1994 era PC (well similar one to my second PC actually), in all its glory ...

486 66mhz
16mb 72pin ram
Opti chipset
TMC PAT48 Vesa local bus motherboard
Socket 3

2x IDE Hdd

conner 348mb
Seagate 3?? mb

creative blaster CD-rom
cirrius logic video cl-gd5426 vga / ide / serial card - vesa
ISA modem
Soundblaster 16 ISA

Dos & Windows95

Pre Windows95 keyboard.

However it was faulty - PC Keyboard locked.

after some time i eventually worked out that this was a motherboard fault and not the key lock or jumper error and yes - the barrel battery had eaten 4 traces on the mobo. I have cleaned and soldered these back up and bingo it works just fine now. After some considerable time on the net , i have found a jumper diagram....

However the Hdd is very loud and I'm half way through setting up a CF card so i can copy some DOS games over but the damn AT power pack has died...

however it will have an ATX in it tomorrow i expect and i'll try to remember how to set DOS up on a CF (nope fuse had gone , AT PSU back in service)

i can't wait to try and find the drivers for this thing....(found on vogan drivers)

mike...

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 21.14.26.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 21.14.26.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Excellent stuff mate.
I've been very tempted to do something similar for a while, my first PC was a LocalVesa 66DX2

:)

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
The battery almost killed it , just need an AT power pack now buddy.

actually my first PC was an Apricot XT & a Zenith 386 for £100 , hideous but i loved them. However the 486 played Doom and Dark forces :)

Danny.

Last edited:

samaron

Country
Norway
Region
Rogaland
The 486 is a nice computer. Did a project a couple of years ago where I pimped up a 486DX2-66 I have. A real pain to configure, as I went for a setup with two sound cards etc. I'd recommend setting up a startup menu with different settings for the DOS enviroment. Some games can be picky, especially demoscene stuff. Games also sound much nicer with Gravis Ultrasound, if they support it. Fun to see someone want to resurrect these computers, that trace corrosion looks nasty. If you're having trouble with the configuration, I'd recommend heading over to www.vogons.org. They also have a driver archive (www.vogonsdrivers.com), which is very helpful!

sneeker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Manchester!
Nice, my first PC was a 386/40 upgraded to a dx2/66 after a year, before that it gained some ram and a soundcard, then a full tower case just like the mikronik Amiga towers.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Thanks, all working now.

booting from cf , sb16 drives from vogons and dark forces & crazy cars 3 playing ...

im amazed how many hours vanish with computers....

needed a boot disk, couldn't find a floppy that worked - found one
my new pc doesn't have a floppy or floppy power... So I hot wired the floppy
then , the cf would not boot
changed that , the psu packed in...

all in all about 5 hours to play dark forces ...

excellent :)

samaron

Country
Norway
Region
Rogaland
The amount of time just to get it to work is kind of half the fun. ;) Getting a USB floppy drive is a must when dealing with old PCs. Also a zip drive is very handy, one with LPT for the old PC and one with USB for the new one. But since you use a CF card, I guess it isn't needed.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Changed the VGA lead too, it has a broken wire - everything has a green tint....but now its nice and crisp.

true , a USB floppy and a working floppy disk is handy. I had hoped to format a CF on a windows7 PC and set it all up and then just plug it in and away you go but that didn't happen.

all i got was Insert boot media error.

i spent about an hour trying to get DOS 6.22 on a 720k Amiga floppy , that didn't work either.

In the end i found a good 1.44mb floppy and ran a 6.22 boot disk program that formats and copies the contents over to it.

I have a USB floppy somewhere....an IDE zip drive too.....packed away somewhere , quicker to buy another.

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Good work mike... That LED 66 display on the tower brings back some memories :)

Ive been tinkering with the x86 cards in my Risk PC and went through the same trauma to get Dos 6.2 installed followed by two hours reminding myself of the config.sys torment, loading mouse drivers into himem to get the extra 4k needed lol, for some reason Tie Fighter runs better on the i486 cpu card than the i586 o_0

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i was going to comment on the green tint in one picture but im sure you must of seen it.

im sure i still have a couple of AT supply boards somewhere for projects if you want one and a floppy drive and a ide harddrive.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Hi Roy , thanks. the PSU seems fine at the mo. so i will see how it goes...

zinamo

Country
Italy
Region
Aosta Valley
Nice machine! Since I'm quite young, I started my collection with a 486 machine some years ago! I know making dos disks can be painful, just pick up an USB-floppy and Winimage and your life will be much easier :) For example, my system didn't had CD (it is hooked to the audio card) when I set it up, so installing Win 95 with more than 20 floppies required a lot of time! Anyway, once the setup is done you'll have hours of fun with it!! And for the PSU, if it's troublesome, replace it with an inexpensive and reliable ATX model using something like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzIyWDU4Mg==/z/EmEAAOSwYshUanp7/$_12.JPG

Last edited:

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I tried building a real 486 machine for DOS gaming.
Had a few setbacks so I gave up.

All the kit is still sat there though so I really should try again at some point in the near future.

I have a spare known-good AT PSU if you need one.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
thanks bud, it seems fine now - i don't suppose its been used for 20 years :)

todays fun...

downloaded snooper to tell me how the cpu is running...

some more games and over clocked to 80mhz (75 it says) , however as its a 66mhz heaksink it gets toasty and stops after ten minutes. it seems slow

i need a 486 heatsink and fan - i must of thrown dozens away over the years :)

Ive ordered a CF front panel for the CF and hopefully i can get the CD-rom working too - it have encarta95 in it :)

and then Windows 95 of course and a bit of web surfing.

Youtube vid of doom running at 66mhz (slow)
http://youtu.be/h6bURs1vC3k

Attachments

• 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 66mhz.jpg
    66mhz.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 75mhz.JPG
    75mhz.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
  • darkforces.JPG
    darkforces.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
heh! I just realized that I use the exact same baby-at mini tower case for my retroPC :LOL:
what are the odds :D

the "00" in the mhz display stands for 200mhz, hosted inside is a pentium 200mhz mmx build.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
nice case mister :)

, i don't have a blank but a CF to IDE adaptor is going in the 5.25inch bay..

I've now fitted a battery and tweaked the cache setting and it flies .... quicker than i remember the 66mhz being.

Dark forces flies now as does Doom , some classic DOS games to try tonight then.

even Quake plays - a little sluggish but not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
if anyone is interested, i have had good success getting IDE DVD drives running under DOS with one of these drivers...

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
thanks i'll keep that handy but my sb16 has a cd interface - not tried it yet

Top Bottom