Retro bright help

dj.echo

Banned
Country
UK
Region
EASTSUSSEX
ELLO now i have purchase retro bright and had a go at brightening my a500 it didn`t seem to do any thing:Doh: i mixed the powder as it said but as i said the a500 is still the same now i have got my handz on some
60% 100 volume Peroxide (apparently you can make bombs with it) now i read that you can mix some thing like vanash or oxi powder is this true and can any one tell me how much to mix to use so i don`t blow my eyebrows off:Doh: so any info help me plz

Dj ECHO.(y)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Whoa!! :wooha::blink:

Slow down for a minute!! Let's take this step by step and then we won't have any smoking craters where your house used to be, eh?

1. The strength of peroxide solution you need is about 10% - that works just fine - forget about volumes, it's % that matters. Just water down the stuff you have to get 10% strength.

2. You only need to add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoonful absolute maximum of Oxy, per pint (1/2 litre in new money) of 10% peroxide solution.

Adding more just creates loads of foam and makes your house look like an episode of The Prisoner, with white balls of foam everywhere.

3. By "Oxy", I mean Vanish Oxy or any of the landry boosters like Oxiclean, Wizz Oxi, etc. Even the dirt cheap stuff from the £1 shop works, I know, I've used it on Jimbo's machine.

4. More important than any other advice given I have given above, please wear protective gloves (washing up gloves are OK) and safety glasses. Hydrogen peroxide can cause massive eye damage and/or blindness, so safety is paramount. I cannot stress this enough.

5. Finally, take your time and ask questions if you need to. Your machine took years to discolour, an hour or two more to wait for the results won't hurt.

There are experienced Retr0brighters on here, so don't feel stupid by asking questions, OK?

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
60% h2o2 is dangerous stuff. where on earth did you get that from? I personally wouldn't feel at all happy handling that stuff so I'd get rid of it and stick to the safer concentrations.

BE CAREFUL! Treat it with respect!

Mix, get a good source of UV light (a sunny day works better than UV lamps) and take care!

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

In fact, just get rid of that stuff before you do damage to yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Corrosive above 50% concentrations. Explosive above 68%.

This is what 30% H2O2 does to skin
220px-Hydrogen_peroxide_30_percent_on_skin.JPG

It is nasty stuff you've got there... Sorry to sound like an internet scaremonger, but really take care with it.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ dj echo

Sorry if we appear to be laying it on a bit thick here, but Chiark helped us develop the Retr0bright process over at EAB, with assistance from a lot of other people.

I am a former industrial chemist and I treat this stuff with a lot of respect; I urge you to do the same.

This process is perfectly safe if you follow the advice I have given and read through the Retr0bright Wiki several times. You don't just dive in with highly concentrated chemicals and hope to bish-bash-bosh your way through it, as you may end up with several body parts injured or you being blinded as a result.

OK, let's start at the beginning. Can you post a picture of your A500 as it is now and we will walk you through how to restore it?

Top Bottom