Retro computing - a female hobby....??

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I was having one of my more reflective moments earlier this evening, and one of the things that crossed my mind is that the Administration and Moderator team that runs AmiBay is 100% male; this was not an intentional thing, it's just that at the time we were setting the site up, there wasn't a female Miggy / retro computing fan around who was available to join the team.

This has triggered a question in my head; how many females (apart from SdG :)) do you know, that are actively involved in the retro scene? I am aware, for example, that Techie_Alison is an administrator on Atari Forums, however, I must admit that she seems to be in the minority across the other forums that I hang out on, and I'm not sure if it's my perception or it's a reality.

Just suppose for a moment that we were were to try and redress the gender balance within the AmiBay team; I think we might struggle to find an Amiga female equivalent to Techie_Alison to join the AmiBay team, but I could be wrong......I think it's worth a straw poll amongst the membership on here anyway.

Leaving the obvious jokes to one side for this thread, I would welcome comments from AmiBay members about this subject.

/Discuss.................

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Re: Retro computing - a female hobby....??

To be honest, i don't know any females that are active in retro computing.
However, my wife knew nothing of modern computers never mind retro machines when i met her.
Now if i ask her what something is she can tell me and i often catch her looking for games around the other bay for my various machines.

Mike

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@Merlin

I think your perception is pretty much spot on. I know a few women who are Information Technology professionals, such as myself, but most of them got their start in the mid-90's when PCs became the dominant computer. I don't personally know any women who are into retro computers. :(

I think that the male to female ratio of advanced computer users is significantly skewed towards the males. Of the vast number of women that use computers today, most of them are not inclined learn more than the basics of a computer. With that in mind, I think it will be some time before we get anything close to an equal number of male and female mods.

I'd personally love to see more women here! It's lonely in my rowboat on this ocean of testosterone. :wink:

Heather

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Merlin

Very Brave I must say....

Admitting you are a member of AND visit an Atari Forum :LOL:

rkauer.......over to you my friend.

TC :mrgreen:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Whilst it would be nice to have more members, and perhaps a more varied outlook I'm not sure that gender should be made a particular issue.

I do remember reading somewhere that hobbies that involve maths, engineering or collecting 'tend' to be dominated by males due to a prediliction in the structure of male brains that leads to mild forms of autism.
This prediliction is not so frequent in females, and explains our obsession with our hobbies and our ability to compile and analyse statistics in relation to our hobbies (think Football).

Of course, I could be wrong and boys just like to play with their 'toys' more than girls do.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,

Even back in the 'eighty's, when all this was new, I could not recall one single female EVER even touching a computer, never mind learning to boot one up, it wasn't until the '90's that most women had to use them for work, that they started to use them. Even at school, there was never a girl in any of the computer classes, even in high school (i graduated in '88)- I wonder if BASIC just turned them off?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

A very close friend of mine was in her 50's when she started using computers around the late 80's. She was very big into the C64 and moved into the Amiga then eventually to a PC. As computers became more complex, she tended to just learn the software she was using and not delve much into the inner workings but she probably spent as much time on computers as I did! She loved the original Castle Woflenstein and Doom type games that came out in the 90's.

She became a sort of surrogate grandmother to me. She did not have grandchildren of her own and was not very close with her own children, whereas I was not close with my real grandparents. She passed away a few years ago. It still amazes me how much she loved her computers and I miss going over to spend the day playing games with her.

@r0jaws
I'm not sure that gender should be made a particular issue
I agree. So long as the mods act in the best interest of the site, gender does not really come into the equation. And don't worry, if us women on the site see something we don't like, you can count on us voicing our opinions! :wink: (You married men should know that by now!)

Faithful Female Amibayer,

Heather

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

awwww shame on you guys for not remembering MrsJuvUK :wink:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ r0jaws

I am not making a particular gender issue about it at all; it was just an observation that I felt warranted a comment, that's all.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

okay...

I know of 8 retr0-gaming women from the top of my head :)

lucky I am married to one of them.

as SdG states, the perspective focus should be on the site when building a team not gender balancing, although I am sure as the site grows and the team grows accordingly its likely that those whom are inteterested in helping the site evolve will be elisted to the staff roster male or female ;).

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Thanks all.

My thoughts were not intended to spark a debate; it was an observation that I felt was worth some discussion. The team that set up AmiBay originally was selected for particular skills and abilities and new members of the team are selected on exactly the same basis, regardless of gender. Those that know me well enough will realise that I sometimes have these reflective moments that end up in a thread on here.

I truly think the quality of a web site reflects the quality of the people involved in it; I am proud of what we have achieved purely by teleworking and this is clear proof that if you have the right people on board, teleworking can be a massive success.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

My throphy wife will be a retro gaming babe. :LOL: 8)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@Merlin

I don't think anyone is actually debating, just throwing out opinions. :D Your thoughts have definitely had a good response.

@arnljot

trophy_wife.jpg

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

TheCorfiot said:
@Merlin

Very Brave I must say....

Admitting you are a member of AND visit an Atari Forum :LOL:

rkauer.......over to you my friend.

TC :mrgreen:

I refuse to comment about Atari users.

Or you are asking being a female? I'm not! :shock:

I remember Cecilia on Amiga.org (only in the OT area) and Cammy on EAB only. Cammy knows Amiga pretty well.

Also my wife still loves her Atari2600 (only kind of Atari I permit around!) and my sister is fond of Master System gear.

And I have a personal friend who even had an Amiga back in the day. Today she is in the IT area.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ TC

To be a Mega AmiMod on here, brave doesn't even begin to describe it... ask Kinnie.... :shock: :eek: :mrgreen:

It takes a Street Judge and an Urban Plastercine Terrorist to police this site, ya know...... :wink:

@ Rkauer

The 5th Amendment was made just to cover situations like this... pity I didn't use it myself, LOL

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Couldn't the same be asked of Skydiving!?...... It's all choice & yet I fail to see why being Male or Female should really make any difference with anything you choose to do in life.

Urban Plasticine Terror indeed! :LOL:

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

r0jaws said:
Whilst it would be nice to have more members, and perhaps a more varied outlook I'm not sure that gender should be made a particular issue.

I do remember reading somewhere that hobbies that involve maths, engineering or collecting 'tend' to be dominated by males due to a prediliction in the structure of male brains that leads to mild forms of autism.
This prediliction is not so frequent in females, and explains our obsession with our hobbies and our ability to compile and analyse statistics in relation to our hobbies (think Football).

Of course, I could be wrong and boys just like to play with their 'toys' more than girls do.

dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exception fact has now turned to Ammunition for use against Wifie...

"... now hun, remember its not my fault .... its my male Autisim..... I am mental imparied you cannot exepct me to remember your birthday.... honestly I didn't know it was your sister.... you both look the same to me.... it must be my mental doisability!!!"

AWESOME!!!!!!

she wont know what hit her :D

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ r0jaws

Next time you go round to Z's for a curry evening, would you rather eat it or wear it?

I wouldn't go upsetting the most uberl33t Mrs. Z if I were you mate.....

:LOL:

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Oh sh1t, What have I done! :oops:

Top Bottom