Retro computing goodies!

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi all

I just thought Id share with you my "haul" from a couple of car boot sales this weekend :)

I got:

*A BOXED (!) ZX Spectrum 48k - Excellent (working) condition with PSU/TV lead and manuals
*A case full of Speccy cassettes - ironically on a seperate stall directly opposite!
*An Apple PowerBook Duo 230 with PSU - Powers on but I think it needs a new HDD, where the heck can I get one?!
*A Cumana external Amiga floppy drive
*A Macintosh Classic II computer with keyboard, mouse and disks - Powers on but has vertical lines and makes a high pitched noise, I read that this means the capacitors are gone. I dunno how to replace them but Im sure Ill find out :)
*An Xbox 360 203w PSU - Not so retro but a MEGA bargain ;)
*Vegas 2, Gears of War 1 &2 (box is only for GOW2) - Again, not retro but an amazing deal ;)
*Super Mario Land for the Original Gameboy

Im sure the thought police wouldnt like me to say how much this lot cost (what a shame, I like to talk to like minded people about my great buys but hey ho :) ) but suffice to say it was barely over the sum of 3 tenners ;)

And for the pr0n lovers, I have attached some piccys (y)

Attachments

• SDC11549-A.jpg
    SDC11549-A.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC11550-A.jpg
    SDC11550-A.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC11551-A.jpg
    SDC11551-A.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC11552-A.jpg
    SDC11552-A.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC11554-A.jpg
    SDC11554-A.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC11555-A.jpg
    SDC11555-A.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC11558-A.jpg
    SDC11558-A.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Nice speccy, I just picked up 3 gameboy games.
They are good ones though. :D

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
What is a car boot sale I have a idea what it is but just like to know for sure..:Doh:

Chris :coffee:

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire

Yeah its awesome! I cant believe how gooda nick its in :wooha: There arent any scratches of anything and the box is great apart from very little wear and a crease. Can you believe it was just dumped on the floor! (after which I made a b line for it and didnt let go :D)

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

What is a car boot sale I have a idea what it is but just like to know for sure..:Doh:

I think the closest thing you guys have over the pond is a garage sale :)

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
3 tenners are`nt they some opra singers or sumat ??

nice pics though (y)

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
3 tenners are`nt they some opra singers or sumat ??

nice pics though (y)

Yeah they were, until big Pav croaked and now theyre known as 20 quid :rofl3

(Sorry big guy, I only meant it in jest! :bowdown:)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

You guys call these things garage sales. It's just that us Brits get maybe 100 or more carfuls of garage sale stuff together on a farmer's field and we make a day out of walking though 'fields of tat' laid out on wallpaper pasting tables....

/Starts humming Sting's 'Fields of Gold' with changed lyrics....:whistle:
"You'll remember me, and our retro gear, as we walked though fields of tat....." :mrgreen:

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
@ Tajmaster - If it`s 2.5" ide (which i think they were) i got a bundle of them here, let me know if you are interested :)

Cheers,

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
Unfortunately the Duo 230 had 2.5" SCSI, it wa the duo 2300 had scsi and ide and could use either or both if you were brave enough.

They can be got easily enough. :)

As for the Classic II, well as with the amigas, it too suffers from cap leakage. I have a classic II here that did the same thing and cap replacement solved the problem. You more than likely will have to clean the logic board too.

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
@ Tajmaster - If it`s 2.5" ide (which i think they were) i got a bundle of them here, let me know if you are interested :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the offer mate (y) But theyre SCSI 2.5" mechanisms :blink:

Anyone know where I can get one from? Im not a Mac o phile (FAR from it!) so I wouldnt even know how to install Mac OS on it!

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Unfortunately the Duo 230 had 2.5" SCSI, it wa the duo 2300 had scsi and ide and could use either or both if you were brave enough.

They can be got easily enough. :)

As for the Classic II, well as with the amigas, it too suffers from cap leakage. I have a classic II here that did the same thing and cap replacement solved the problem. You more than likely will have to clean the logic board too.

Ah :) great advice there TheoryBoy (y) Ill be taking the Classic apart as soon as I get home (down at the Mrs' in Hertfordshire ATM where I got all this from)

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ

Yeah its awesome! I cant believe how gooda nick its in :wooha: There arent any scratches of anything and the box is great apart from very little wear and a crease. Can you believe it was just dumped on the floor! (after which I made a b line for it and didnt let go :D)

So someone gets a boot for tickets on the car they have a garage sale
I thought thats what it was just wanted to be sure thanks..

danhans115

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Leeds

Nice haul!

Can I ask what bootsales you recommend in the area? Im from Pudsey and used to go to the one in Cross Green which has now closed, and never seem to see anything of interest at Otley, Leeds Bradford Airport on the one over at Rufforth near York?

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire

Nice haul!

Can I ask what bootsales you recommend in the area? Im from Pudsey and used to go to the one in Cross Green which has now closed, and never seem to see anything of interest at Otley, Leeds Bradford Airport on the one over at Rufforth near York?

I went to a couple in Hertfordshire not oop north :) TBH, I rarely go to the ones up there now, there never seems to be anything good or all the :censored:ing traders have been and taken the good stuff. As much as it pains me to say this, the southerners have better boot sales by a mile :wooha: All my best stuff has been found down here and Ive bought stuff in private sales via forums and ebay down here far more times than up north.

Yeah I know, it sucks to admit they do something better than us! lol! At least our water is better than theirs!

Have you tried the one in Halifax town centre? I went there a few times last year but never really go there that often, its on the car park opposite Halifax bus station if you want to try it :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Chris

A picture is worth a thousand words...

car-boot-sale.jpg

most of the time you have rows upon rows of cars/vans lined up and as a buyer you walk around and see if theres owt you like... its always good to haggle.

So as a seller, you pay for a parking / selling spot and setup all you want to get rid of.

now, if you are down my way... car boot sales (Car booty's) can take on a slighlty more.... security minded twist.

gazagunsBIG2802_468x322.jpg

but hey.... thats the Fairstead estate for you... i managed to score the AK47 in the middle - with full trigger housing and shoulder stock... twas' a bargin price too ;)

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
See I was way off thanks guys..
Car boot here is for parking in a spot to long and for tickets they boot the driverside tire have to go pay the fines to get it off..

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Ahh, the old Denver boot, I can see why you got confused.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
we have something similar, usually in a big warehouse. We call it a flea Market. Almost the same, but indoors.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
And upon seeing this someone decided to profit from digitizing it...
Enter Ebay...

The evil electronic, virtual car boot / flea market where the buyer pays higher prices to cover the sellers added, over-inflated selling costs :LOL:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ AmiNeo

Wash your mouth out!! :wooha: You don't know how close to some infraction points you came for using that four-letter language on here, matey.....:nod:

:LOL:

Luzur

Country
Sweden
Region
Enånger, Hälsingland
@Chris

A picture is worth a thousand words...

car-boot-sale.jpg

most of the time you have rows upon rows of cars/vans lined up and as a buyer you walk around and see if theres owt you like... its always good to haggle.

So as a seller, you pay for a parking / selling spot and setup all you want to get rid of.

now, if you are down my way... car boot sales (Car booty's) can take on a slighlty more.... security minded twist.

gazagunsBIG2802_468x322.jpg

but hey.... thats the Fairstead estate for you... i managed to score the AK47 in the middle - with full trigger housing and shoulder stock... twas' a bargin price too ;)

wait, what? has the Uk developed into a new Lebanon now, with AK's for sale in car boots?

Top Bottom