Retro of a different kind...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I've been working on a project for the last year and it finally came to fruition earlier this month. Over the last year, I have been rebuilding a scooter that I bought for my son back in 2013 and it's looking a little different now. It was a 2007 Peugeot TKR 307 WRC 50cc, but it's not any more.

This is what it looked like originally when new.
scooter-peugeot-trekker-307-wrc.14608112-73307751.jpg$_14.jpg$_22.jpg$_23.jpg

Here's what it looks like now. I present 'Project Speedtrek'...

Tameside-20150508-00342_zpshtn74w4a.jpgTameside-20160608-0343.jpgManchester-20150418-00337_zpszdko9o20.jpgManchester-20150418-00338_zpstxwk3pqb.jpgTameside-20150508-00344_zps6thijptv.jpg

As you can see, the bike has been modified and given a retro twist. The handlebars, cowlings and clocks are from a Peugeot Speedfight and the clocks have been modified in that the right hand clock (originally a coolant temperature gauge, but my bike is air cooled) has been changed to a rev counter.

The seat and belly pan have been changed for toned-down versions that change the lines of the bike slightly. The exhaust is a Yasuni Z race pipe and the bike has been given a fast road tune after a full engine rebuild, it flies along now. On top of all that, the wheels were stripped and refinished in dark grey metallic instead of white, road tyres were fitted instead of off road 'knobblies' and aftermarket indicators were fitted to the front lower panels and were made to look like they were factory fitted.

The original dials were scanned into my computer, then edited to more retro black version, were printed onto tracing paper and laminated, so that the bulbs behind can still shine through. The awful original headlights were changed for the Trekker 100cc version and the bike was upgraded to three stage lighting (side, dip and main beam) as well as gaining a number plate light. It fully complies with the regulations for motorcycles instead of mopeds now.

Finally, I come from the era when bikes had proper chrome badges on the petrol tank, so I re-created the effect with genuine chrome boot badges from the Peugeot 305 along with some retro style decals, to give the bike a late '70s /early '80s twist. The red paint is Citroen Wicked Red and is reminiscent of the colour of paint used on '70s and early '80s Suzukis and Hondas.

It's certainly confused a few people, as they can clearly tell that it's a Peugeot, but they haven't a clue what model it is. I like it because it's unique and reflects my personality.

:)

Last edited:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I've even got an '80s white Rickman top box for it now, to add to the retro look.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Its a credit to you Merlin, I`d love to have a scoot round on it :)

TheRealTachyon

Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton
Nicely done!

The original was, to be honest, kinda lame. The styling was disjointed and the lines didn't look right.
Now however it looks great. The colours and the lines enhance the updated styling. It looks more classy and grown up.
Plus the one thing that makes a scooter decidedly not cool is trying to pretend it's not a scooter. The original was trying to pretend it was a sport-bike. The new look says, "Yeah, I'm a scooter, and a damn fine one!". It's much better.

Top Bottom