Status
Not open for further replies.

shem

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Machester
Hi all
Is there a general tutorial for the retrobrite process and a list of things required to achieve best results ?
I have a ton of yellowed cases that would like to restore but dont really know where to start

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: Retrobrite help

@Shem

you need.....

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

as co-ordinated by our dearest Merlicious :)

that was some days / weeks setting up.... and the grueling requests from Merly to add this and that and... look great and reads well... fantastic stuff :D

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

..... and then there were days we would discuss the inherent energy of the photon, to culminate ito the debromination of the polymer... oh how that was when that realisation hit home....

yeah.... geeky.... but utterly awesome...

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

.... oh and the chuckles to the subtle irony of using hydrogens and protons to reverese the damage....

..... the co-ordination of a huge effort online with the eab / vintage computers and atari forums... and prolly half a dozen more... merlicious is nothing if but tenacious!

then the legendary day of..... getting slash dotted.....

thats an experience to have I can tell you.... merly was so embarresd... i picked on him.... much fun was had :D

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Do you know, Z, if there is a way to make liquid retrobrite solution have more volume without:
1. Adding more peroxide or Oxi-clean.
2. Diluting the solution, decreasing effectiveness

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@Dreamy

yep... its all in the wiki,

the guys cooked up a couple of GEL version (with differing receipes) that maximizes the the use of retro-brite as its applied as needed (not bathed).... once made you just liberally apply the gel mixture to the item(s), dont panic... it will begin to foam place the item(s) under a good UV source..... Dark Light, SOL or the nearest Hemp Growing Plant ;)

With the GEL, its best to rinse and re-apply every 2 hours as you may run the risk of the Gel drying out, this will incease the chances to "over cook" the plastic and actually damge it...

(remember as the water/lquid evaportates from the mixure, it becomes condensed and will increase in strength*)

as Merly would say about here-

"... this is a process where a stronger solution does not mean better results, taking your time is the special ingredient in this mix" (okay.... i added the last bit... but he would say that if he were here..... and i was dangling a signed edition of Elite big box infront of him)

Now.... remember, before you start to CLEAN the plastics with warm soapy water (or dishwasher*), depending on the state of bromination (the ammount of yellowing) this method should be completed in 8 hours, WORSE CASE, well thats how long Merly's Super-Sun-Tanned (spent 20 years in Korfu) C64 bread bin needed :)

Please becarfull!! don't go splashing peroxide / gel in your eye, try and eat it or use it in some kinda kiny sex thing or somming.... 12% peroxide will Burn you! Take precautions :D that means gloves / and googles.... and for go sake DONT do this in the NUDE!!!

*there comes a point where presence of peroxide is so great that it will start attaking the polymer chain of the plastic... this will leave a light bloom, this is evidence of the plastic bonds being attacked... not good.

*When using the Dishwasher, please DONOT allow it to conclude in a drying cycle.... as you know Heat will warp plastic... the thinner / smaller the plastic the more suseptable to heat / warping damage... for delicate plastics... its best recomended with a warm hand wash with washing up liquid and a good cloth....

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

^^^ What he said

Damn you Zetr0, and your signed Elite box!!! :drool: :drool:

shem

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Machester

the c64 case looks really yellowed hope mine turns out as good as that
i i gotta do now is work out where to get the bits from i guess the uv lamp is tha hardes thing to get hold of?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

you can get the darklight from your local wilkinsons :D

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

£8 will get you a nice energy-saving one from Maplins.

shem

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Machester

i will take the maplins route i think
now i will have to read up on what solutions i need etc etc
thanks guys i have repaired many 8 bit commodore machines over the years but its time to give'em a retrobrite facelift :thanks:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Just remember, nice and slow gives the best results and will avoid the 'bloom' forming on the surface.

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

Got my UV bulb from Maplins... worked a treat.

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

hey, what if I boiled down the peroxide to, let's say 30%? Then added Oxi-clean and Xanthan Gum?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Better not use such strong mixture, mate.

As already said, use a lower concentration one for better results. The recommended one is the 9~12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom