Retrogames stores prices - parting fools from their money?

Firthy2002

DF0:NDOS
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Leeds, West Yorkshire
So, retrogames stores. You know the ones. Telegames et al.

How can they justify those outrageous prices for 20+ year old hardware and software that ISN'T RARE?

I don't care that it is boxed (and a damaged box at that!), has everything it came with at launch and is supposedly "tested", I would not pay £200 for a Colecovision!

Do they charge those kinds of prices for the gullible, knowing the rest of us will look elsewhere and get the same hardware for a more sensible price?

Where do they get these prices from?!

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I have to admit there does seem this "cash-in" culture of retro computers / consoles and games.

Saying this there is always the appreciation of collectables, not sure a colecovision is a "considered" collectable just yet lol.

However I do belive this Boon of Retro/Rare/Vintage I think its born out of the eBay mentallity which is to disgusting and by far responsible for more harm than good!

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Ebay is probably the worst place for people selling junk and labelling it as either rare, vintage, retro or collectible! I've seen so many common games and consoles with a high price just because the seller added the word "rare" in the title or description... It makes me mad :pissed:

I've sold many consoles, computers, components and peripherals on ebay but i never use any those words! About 90% of my auctions have a nice 99p starting bid so it's entirely upto the buyer how much they want to spend :smile: I also cannot believe the condition of some things people try and sell!

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Firthy2002

Are you related to Arnljot?

:laugh:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Ebay is probably the worst place for people selling junk and labelling it as either rare, vintage, retro or collectible! I've seen so many common games and consoles with a high price just because the seller added the word "rare" in the title or description... It makes me mad :pissed:

I've sold many consoles, computers, components and peripherals on ebay but i never use any those words! About 90% of my auctions have a nice 99p starting bid so it's entirely upto the buyer how much they want to spend :smile: I also cannot believe the condition of some things people try and sell!

I sympathise entirely, some stuff on eBay has gone for obscene amounts (Search for the phrase 'amiga accelerator' or 'turbokarte' on ebay.de and look at completed listings) -- That said, however, there are still bargains to be had. I picked up a working A1200 for £33 on there, and the seller was only half-an-hour walk from my house! I also recently snagged a Chinon FB-357A for £15.50 delivered.

Some sellers seem to command higher premiums than others, I've never really understood why. I broke up my faulty A1200 to sell as parts, and made back more than the cost of the A1200 mentioned above. Weird!

Photon

Amiga is Yes. :)
AmiBayer
Country
Sweden
Region
Smaland
If it comes with some form of warranty, I can see stores charging more money than on auction sites.

It's sad times for us who were bitten by the retro bug years ago... the rest of the world is catching up, it seems... we've been kinda used to people selling this stuff for a few bob cos it's 'old and ugly and takes up space'. And even second hand stores selling them off super-cheap cos they just KNEW nobody would pay ANYTHING for that old junk.

Now, people do. So, both customers and sellers are at least interested in it now, it used to be different...

Now, for something off the shelf from a reputable store with warranty. I can see someone with money 'getting the urge' and take that over sitting and bidding for days on an auction site.

I did that once, kind of. In 1994 I re-bought my first computer, an Acorn Atom, for 70€. That's about twice in today's money, I guess...

Now, it was in VGC and came with the normal extras. That, and the fact that I still had a little Acorn Basic programming book made me buy it.

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
Its understandable that retro game shops have to charge a premium for their goods. Its not easy making money out of retro, not when the most abundant stuff around is old worthless Fifa games and PS1 consoles etc that nobody wants.

As for Telegames, their prices are a bit mad, but you can try asking for a discount off them - I previously have and got a really great deal on a bulk lot of games.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
it's not just e-bay, but sadly, e-bay is just about the only alternative to some people. I know here in Alberta, Canada for example, there is just no "Vintage fairs" or meets to trade or sell stuff at a fair price, so for a lot of the stuff I want, I have no choice but e-bay, and at that I have to deal mostly with overseas Sellers.

But E-bay is not just at fault here, look at 99% of all the hardware manufactures. They also want to recoup the cost of development ASAP and who cares how many they sell. Look at the SAM board for example. it's priced over 10 times what it should be, if they want it to be "The" platform for OS 4.1, But the creators don't care about volume, they just want their investment back ASAP. Look at the MiniMig: its also about 4x overpriced, because you can get a REAL A500 for a Quarter of the price-EVEN on Ebay! I hate to use the word "Crook" but it seems like that. I never understood why someone would pay $400 or more for a minimig that you had to get a case for and it's not even real hardware, when you can get a real C= A500 for under $50. Its like buying a cubic zarcona for your GF at twice the price of a Diamond.

Best advice, if you really want it now, use E-bay, but if you look and hunt, chances are you will find something for a reasonable price

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
Look at the MiniMig: its also about 4x overpriced, because you can get a REAL A500 for a Quarter of the price-EVEN on Ebay! I hate to use the word "Crook" but it seems like that. I never understood why someone would pay $400 or more for a minimig that you had to get a case for and it's not even real hardware, when you can get a real C= A500 for under $50. Its like buying a cubic zarcona for your GF at twice the price of a Diamond.

Not really a fair comparison, the real 500's were made 20 years ago, and had millions made, and demand for them is low. The Minimig is a modern unit, with a low production run, the less you make of something the more expensive it is to do. Plus a Minimig is more than a 500 anyway, flash drive, VGA output etc, so its not a like for like comparison.

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
... Its like buying a cubic zirconia for your GF at twice the price of a Diamond....

Hey!! That's a Diamelle! And fine quality!
It's the finest hand crafted stone of it's type!!
Any world can geologically create Diamonds with pressure and time.
Big deal! This is MAN MADE!!! :shock:

desiv
;)

p.s. From what I understand (which isn't much), can't the minimig be set to run faster (25Mhz 68000 or ??) and support 4M RAM? If it supports a HD, (does it?) that would be something. And since (I think) it can output to VGA standard... Of course, if it doesn't do those (or costs more to get it to do those), then... :|

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
I have to say this & it's not a dig:

@ playgeneration

You have absolutely no idea about comaprison in any instance.

Linky

Kin

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
<SNIP>
p.s. From what I understand (which isn't much), can't the minimig be set to run faster (25Mhz 68000 or ??)

Up to 28.36MHz.

and support 4M RAM?
Not exactly: it supports 1Mb chip RAM and up to 2.5Mb of combined slow-fast and FAST RAM, plus 512kb reserved for the kickstart.

If it supports a HD, (does it?) that would be something.
Then it is something! The newer version supports .hdf files inside the SD card (HD Partitions images), both boot able and storaging types. Both read and write-able!

And since (I think) it can output to VGA standard... Of course, if it doesn't do those (or costs more to get it to do those), then... :|
Even first Minimig version have built-in 31kHz VGA output or selectable 15kHz RGB modes.

Notice that all those features came at a cost: you need to replace the PIC controller on the Minimig with a 3rd part board with an ARM controller in it, plus piggy-back two more sets of RAM chips over the original ones, enabling the board to work with 4Mb of total RAM (chip + slow-fast + fast + ROM image).

Just the RAM piggy-back service costs a hundred Euros!

Here comes the listing prices the guy is asking: Linky link

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Here comes the listing prices the guy is asking: Linky link

OMFG:shock: You factor in the exchange rate (which is almost double) for the Canadian Dolloar and you are right in the SAM teritory!!!!!

All that, and it's not even real hardware but just an emulator of the original hardware. I really have to shake my head at the fools who buy that! Who cares if an A500 is 20 years old, I can buy 16 of them for the same price as the "super" package.

16 of them and still have enough for a case of beer. If one blows, I have 15 more. WOW!

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Retrogame pricing

Retrogame pricing

I used to live in Lawrence before moving to Olathe, and there was a nice store downtown called Game Guy that used to carry all sorts of retro games, from atari 2600 all the way through Contemporary PC games. I have a friend who used to work there and I asked him one time how they set the prices from some of the retro stuff and he said, 'I don't really know, we just look at the condition it's in, and go from there.' They couldn't even test the old computer software for the different types they had because they didn't have the machines to do so. I remember seeing an old Amiga game there and they wanted $250 for it. I thought, wow that must be a great game! I purchased that game about 3 months ago on E-bay for 12.50 with shipping. The game in question? The Clue! I know I just ran on with a story but the meaning behind it is that these people who are selling this old software for the most part appear to have no clue about what it is that they are selling or how much it is worth. Seeing The Clue! for $250 happened back in 2000 by the way.

Nathan

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
This all comes down to....

1. Do your homework; search around to find out market prices before you go shopping.
2. Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).
3. Is the item REALLY worth that much to you?

Now you see why price driving is stomped on at Amibay, we don't play the Traders games....

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Guesswork? Highest eBay price in last 6 months plus xy% ?

I always find it tricky to price something myself, generally I ask for what I paid for it with appropriate depreciation (guesswork again).

Generally, stuff priced too high will not sell, people tend to know the approximate value of their kit, but there are always those who cry too much! "I bought 8 of those 2 years ago for tuppence!" etc etc

Similarly we always get the chancers who wham a huge asking price on old tat, and hang on until it sells. But usually it doesn't.

I find most people on here ask, and get, a fair price. I certainly don't feel I have been ripped off, and I hope no one feels ripped off by me.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If you are trying to price an item, eBay's "Search completed listings" is your friend. You can see what items have sold in the last month, and how much for, as well as seeing which ones have not. Don't forget that Amibay items are likely to come out 10% less, since there's no fees here :)

You can also take some satisfaction in seeing how poorly the "Price it really high" sellers actually perform. There's a seller in Hungary who is asking obscene amounts for Amiga kit, he rarely sells anything.

The other thing you'll hit with retro computing is because some stuff is scarce, prices will vary wildly. It all depends on whether the collector with the bottomless pockets is checking this week. There are still bargains to be had on eBay, you just have to be patient. :)

Finally, there are always stupid people on eBay. I was watching a Cyberstorm PPC on there recently. It had a start price of X, and a BIN for X+Y. Of course, nobody hit BIN, so it went into a bidding frenzy at the end and actually sold for X+Y+Z! (No actual numbers, since I don't want to encourage price-driving, but you get the idea!)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ AndyLandy

Nice bit of Elementary algebra there m8y. :nod:

Kin

Top Bottom