RIP Edgar Vigdal (Deluxe Galaga etc)

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
I just got some sad news from my Australian friend Kev (EAB Invent) that Edgar Vigdal the author of many Amiga classics (Deluxe Galaga / Pacman) has passed away :(

Last edited:

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
:( so sad, I played DG and then Warblade on the PC so much :( Rest In Peace dude

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
WHAT! ! ! That's terrible news! No wonder Warblade 2 was delayed! They said on the official forums that Ed had been ill but noothing life threatening. Man i love galaga deluxe it's my all time top Shmup game. RIP Ed. :(

vulture

AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Athens
oh man! R.I.P. Edgar, thank you for all those happy hours playing your fabulous games. A sad day....:(

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
It was confirmed on the warblade II Facebook page that he died a couple of days ago from suspected cancer. I loved deluxe Galaga and Warblade and was looking forward to Warblade II.

RIP Edgar

aZtOcKdOg

Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
RIP Edgar Vigdal (Deluxe Galaga etc)

Oh man! Rest in Peace that's shocking news may his legacy live on forever through his awesome work love deluxe galaga and warblade... Man what sad news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
That is sad news :(, Deluxe galaga is one of my all time favs, I will load it tonight and play some levels in his honour , RIP

" Per Ardua Ad Astra"

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
I tried my best to write a nice blog about Edgar and my experience with Deluxe Galaga, if anyone fancies some toilet reading this is a link to it. http://retrogamingroundup.com/blog/?p=1165 - Did anyone actually buy Deluxe Galaga from a shop on release? i realize now that i haven't ever seen a box for it? i wonder if there ever was one?

FastRobPlus

Country
USA
Region
Bellevue, WA
No box that I am aware of. It was shareware.
I did buy both DG and Warblade when they were current. I played both of them as much or more than any other games.

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
I knew it was shareware but apparenlt it was once a best seller in the UK? how did people buy the game? i wonder if it was part of a magazine or possibly pirated? someone must know. :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Shareware, means people could play a free version obtained from either PD libraries or magazine covers, then send the author money to unlock the full game if they wanted to. So he would have received the money directly for sales.

It is such a shame. The best versions of Pacman and Galaga were his IMO, and we will never see the updated versions he was planning.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
What a sad day, i'll forever think of him every time I load DG up in the future.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Deluxe Galaga was the game that sold the Amiga to me. I loved that game, it is sad to hear that it's creator has passed away. RIP Edgar, and thank you for hours of fun.

BrooksterMax

Need more time!
AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I knew it was shareware but apparenlt it was once a best seller in the UK? how did people buy the game? i wonder if it was part of a magazine or possibly pirated? someone must know. :)

I didn't buy the game but remember it from an Amiga Format subscribers disk (the extra disk you got when you had a subscription usually with PD stuff). I do remember that game really standing out.

Sad to hear this news.

Edit - found a link to the disk - I suspect this is what made him well known in the UK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Vipp

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
UK
I always wondered what the disk would have looked like, that's a humble beginning for such a great game with a lot of history. I have been told that EMV have been aprroached by a game dev/s to attempt to finish the new warbade mk 2 - all of his code could be used to finish his games IF EMV trust and have the rights to release it to a team that would hadle the code well and do the job right. I imagine his family will be concentrating on other things at this moment in time but in the future we may see these games?

I will keep everyone posted if i find anything out in the future. I'm sad to see this road of game development end, i have a planet rank in Warblade and really do love this game.

Top Bottom