Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi!

I want to help my buddy Marco (Zambot over at EAB) out with a kick ass Workbench for his A500+ we're going to get online and I'll be talking him through the install but I need some info before we start as I've not used one of these before, this is the drive:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/rochard

Marco has this hooked up to his A500 so he has 1mb Chip and 8 (or 9) mb Fast. We want to setup Classic Workbench 68k with the OCS games on a 4gb CF-IDE.

Firstly, does anyone know if this drive will support a CF-IDE adapter and if it will support a drive 4gb in size?

Marco has already ordered a 3.1 Rom and a kickstart switcher from Amigakit. So he will have 1.3rom and 3.1rom available.

The next thing is, would be dead easy for me just to make the CF for him in UAE but in the above link it mentions that only drives prepared by the RocHard can be read :(

If thats the case I guess Marco could just prepare the CF and send it to me to setup or I could talk him through setting it up through UAE once its partitioned, I assume UAE would be able to read a CF partitioned by the RocHard?

Thanks in advance all, with your help we'll have Marco up and running with a Kick Ass A500+ with rom swither and CWB68k & 4gb of WHDLoadness!!!

Cheers!

Steve.

Last edited:

dabone

AmiBayer
Country
United Stated
Region
Chattanooga, TN 37421
I've used a similar method for my dataflyer, because it doesn't use standard amiga partition data. (it can be seen, but only by the latest beta of winuae).
First I used winhex to write 00 to the entire compactflash card, then I prepped it using the 500, then I dumped the card to a hardfile. All it has in this config is the partition data and autoboot code.(At least for dataflyer).
Since I went ahead and wrote 00 to the entire drive, it's really really compressable. If he does this with a card he can email you that file for you to start the image.
On my 500 I've got ClassicWB GAAE. I got the hdf running under winuae, and then using the hdf I created I mounted it as DH3: and issued the following command

copy dh0: dh3: clone all

I then used winhex to dump the hdf back out to my cf.
(Yeah I could have written straight to the card in the last step, but I love having a backup)

That got a working setup onto my 500.

After that, to change files around, I have a file copy version of the workbench and boot winuae to that and mount my cfcard to write to.
(The dataflyer hard can be written to under winuae, but will not boot)

If you use a different card than he has, make sure your card is smaller or the exact same model, because you won't be able to change the drive geo after you do this without starting again.

Hope my early morning rambling helped.

Later,
dabone

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I'm not too sure about the Rochard but my Alfapower 500 IDE/RAM controller doesn't seem to like large CF cards (i'm using a 2gb Kingston CF card with a 500mb partition at the moment). The Alfapower also comes with it's own setup/prep disk but i decided to partition and format the CF card using WinUAE... It now boots fine on my A500+/Alfapower combo (at last :D).

I setup a basic A600 config in WinUAE with my blank (low level formatted) CF card as the HD (IDE0 and read/write enabled). I booted to WB 2.1 using ADF's and then ran an ADF floppy image with the latest HDToolBox and HDInstTool partition/formatting tools... These asked for the "fastfilesystem" (FFS) file so i copied it from the WB 2.1 install disk image. Both HDInstTools and HDToolBox work fine, but they detect different drive parameters for the same CF card, not sure why but both ways seems to work :)

After prepping the drive i then continued to install WB 2.1 and it works fine so far with my real A500+.... but i think i will try IDEFix97 and the Oktapussy updates and see if i can use the whole 2gb :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks for the reply's guys (y)

Its a shame Marco is in Italy or I'd get him to send the whole RocHard to me and borrow an A500 and do all the work.

Anyway, I have some info to work on now - cheers :cool:

Steve.

Top Bottom