rad

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Country
Bulgaria
Region
Sofia
Hello everyone,
As per title suggests, I'm looking for a reasonably priced Roland MPU-401AT ISA card.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rad

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Country
Bulgaria
Region
Sofia
Uh after not winning one auction for broken (missing component on the PCB) and untested MPU-401AT card for more than xxxx EUR things are not looking very promising.

In addition for looking for MPU-401AT I'm also looking for an external MPU-401 breakoutbox and MIF-IPC-A card or only the external box, since I can build or buy the self made ISA card.

Someone willing to sell his card or module?

Last edited by a moderator:

bjt

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
You may be aware already, but other options are a Roland SCC-1 (not likely to be any cheaper though), or Voyetra (uses Roland chipset).
Other clones are Midiman and Music Quest.

AWE64 with SoftMPU is a cheap alternative for 386+ machines.

PeterNC

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Country
USA
Region
FL
  • MPU-401N: an external interface, specifically designed for use with the NEC PC-98 series notebook computers. This breakout-box unit features a special COMPUTER IN port for direct connection to the computer's 110-pin expansion bus. METRONOME OUT connector was added. Released in Japan only.
  • MPU-IPC: for the IBM PC/IBM XT/IBM AT and compatibles (8 bit ISA). It had a 25-pin female connector for the breakout box, even though only nine pins were used, and only seven were functionally different: both 5V and ground use two pins each.
  • MPU-IPC-T: for the IBM PC/IBM XT/IBM AT and compatibles (8 bit ISA). The MIDI SYNC connector was removed from this Taiwanese-manufactured model, and the previously hardcoded I/O address and IRQ could be set to different values with jumpers.
  • MPU-IMC: for the IBM PS/2's Micro Channel Architecture bus. In earlier models both I/O address and IRQ were hardcoded to IRQ 2 (causing serious problems with the hard disk as it also uses that IRQ); in later models the IRQ could be set with a jumper. It had a 9-pin female connector for the breakout box.[3]

The IRQ selection on the MPU-IMC​

. Due to the incompatibility of IRQ 2/9 (and potentially I/O addresses) between the MPU-IMC and IBM PS/2 MCA models certain games will not work with MPU-401.[4]
  • S-MPU/AT (Super MPU): for the IBM AT and compatibles (16 bit ISA). It had a Mini-DIN female connector for the breakout box. The MIDI SYNC, TAPE IN, TAPE OUT, METRONOME OUT connectors was removed, but a second MIDI IN connector was added. A TSR has to be loaded for the MPU-401 to be intelligent in MS-DOS.
  • S-MPU-IIAT (Super MPU II): for the IBM or compatible Plug and Play PC's (16 bit ISA). It had a Mini-DIN female connector for the breakout box with two MIDI In connectors and two MIDI Out connectors. A TSR has to be loaded for the MPU-401 to be intelligent in MS-DOS.
  • LAPC-I: for the IBM PC and compatibles. Includes the Roland CM-32L sound source. A breakout box for this card, the MCB-1, was sold separately.
  • LAPC-N: for the NEC PC-98. Includes the Roland CM-32LN sound source. A breakout box for this card, the MCB-2, was sold separately.
  • RAP-10: for the IBM AT and compatibles (16 bit ISA). General midi sound source only. MPU-401 UART mode only. A breakout box for this card, the MCB-10, was sold separately.
  • SCP-55: for the IBM and compatible laptops (PCMCIA). Includes the Roland SC-55 sound source. A breakout box for this card, the MCB-3, was sold separately.

Clones[edit]

By the late 1980s other manufacturers of PCBs developed intelligent MPU-401 clones. Some of these, like Voyetra, were equipped with Roland chips whereas others had retro-engineered ROMs (Midiman / Music Quest).[6][7]
Examples:

• Midiman MM-401 (8BIT, non Roland chip set, also sold as part of the Midiman PC Desktop Music Kit)[8]
  • Music Quest PC MIDI Card / MQX-16s / MQX-32m (8 & 16BIT, non Roland chip set)
  • Voyetra V-400x / OP-400x (V-4000, V4001, 8BIT, Roland chip set)
  • MIDI LAND DX-401

Another cheap option is to find a MPU-401 BOB cheap and buy a MIF-IPC-A replica in NL.

Last edited:

rad

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Country
Bulgaria
Region
Sofia
Thanks Peter :)

Actually I was able to already find MPU 401 BOB and got a MIF-IPC-A ISA card replica.

keropi

VIP
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
so this thread can be archived? or you are still looking for an 401AT rad?

rad

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Country
Bulgaria
Region
Sofia
Yes it can be archived. But I don't know why it's impossible for me - to change either the thread state/subject or close/lock/archive the thread.

keropi

VIP
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
it's impossible for all users to alter/archive threads... so don't worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom