Running specctrum emualtor through dos on a laptop

plaster

Country
UK
Region
Devon
Hi
I have an old IMB Thinkpad laptop, what i want to do is run a spectrum emulator through dos, now i have seen someone selling a laptop on ebay with the emulator already installed, I have emailed him but he is not giving too much info how to do this.

He is using the ZX Spectrum DOS emulator R80 with dos which i have downloaded both but i dont know how to ssetup.

I would like the laptop to turn on and start the emulator, can this be done.

Can anyone help
Bry

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
To start something at boot in dos you need to put it in autoexec.bat.

I do not know anything about the emulator, but keep in mind that the machine needs to be rather old to have the needed drivers in DOS.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
I'm not too experienced with DOS I'm afraid but as far as i know, if DOS is the OS on the laptop then say the emulator program was called emu.exe and was immediately on the C: drive you would just need to type 'C:\emu' and it should run the emulator.

If its in a folder on the C:\ drive then you would need to type the name of the folder too eg. C:\folder\emu.exe

Bare in mind however that non Windows DOS only recognises 8 character names (this is known as 8.3 file naming, or SFN - short filename). This means for any folders with names larger than 8 characters you'll want to be using, I would recomend renaming them or learn a little bit of DOS.

This article on Wiki explains it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename

Other than that I can't really be of much help without having the machine infront of me. It's been a long time since I've had to use raw DOS.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
World of Spectrum has all that you need; emulators and instructions as to how to set them up. A DOS boot CD isn't too hard to find via Google.

plaster

Country
UK
Region
Devon
Thank you all for your help i will take a look at this.

Cheers
Bry

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
you can try getting FreeDOS installed to your laptop and at the end of the autoexec.bat file just add a line with the full path and the .exe you want to run, for ex.

c:\emu-dir\emu.exe

and after DOS loads it's drivers it will automatically run your emu.exe ...
first you must investigate the availabillity of DOS sound drivers for your laptop though...

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
You may need to fiddle around with the config.sys file in DOS as well, particularly for sound card drivers and memory management.

Here's an example:-

@echo off
doskey
dos=high
dos=umb
devicehigh=emm.sys
set blaster=A220 I5 D1 P330 T6

Useful link here

Don't worry, the OldSkool DOS users on here like me can help you....(y)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
yes, install a DOS flavor , find sound drivers that work (that could be quite a task for notebooks mind you) and post your config/autoxec so we can have a look and optimize it :)
(that set_blaster variable depends from card to card, the T6 is for a true SB16 card for example...)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@merlin,

typo alert:

devicehigh=emm.sys ??

Only know these:

devicehigh=highmem.sys
and
devicehigh=emm386.sys

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
LOOOOOLLLLL
we will tinker his config when he posts it :) I am sure Merlin just posted a rough example :D

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Arnljot

It was just a rough example. The site link shows loads more about it, so no need to re-invent the wheel....;)

@ Keropi

T6 is for a PCI 128 Sound Blaster if I recall correctly, whereas T5 was for the AWE32 and 64. I know that if you get the Type number wrong it doesn't work correctly and it's not always immediately obvious which one applies.

It depends on the laptop as to the sound drivers. Yamaha, ESS Audiodrive and Sound Blaster chipsets are pretty much covered.

@ plaster

What is the exact model number of the Thinkpad?

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
@merl: you are correct but also I am correct too :)

here are the Types list for the blaster variable:

1 for an original (old) Sound Blaster.
2 for an original (old) Sound Blaster Pro.
3 for a newer Sound Blaster 2.0 (Sound Blaster deluxe edition).
4 for a newer Sound Blaster Pro (SB Pro 2.0)
5 for a MicroChannel Sound Blaster (IBM PS/2 MCA-bus systems only).
6 for a Sound Blaster 16, Vibra 16, or an AWE32.

6 being the last type also applies to pci and later models: awe32/awe64 are just SB16 with the EMU synth onboard and the SB128 PCI card "emulates" a SB16 hence they all have the T6 switch. Unless we know the exact notepad model and it's card all that is just pure speculation LOL

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ keropi

Some older Thinkpads have Analog Devices or Realtek sound cards in them; I think he may get lucky with DOS drivers for these as well.

Top Bottom