S3 Virge 3D 4MB with PowerVideo chip..

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi

Looking my old boards I find one S3 Virde 3D PCI 4MB RAM, with PowerVideo (?) chip installed.

My questions are.....

With this board it's possible to use Warp3D?

What about Amiga 3D Games?

What´s the purpouse of the "PowerVideo" chip? (or something like that)

I know it´s not the best graphics board (is slow). But, my idea is to install on my A4000D (Mediator 4000Di) combined with my Radeon 9250. It´s possible? Any advantage?

Thanks

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
can you post a picture of the card? I doubt it will work in an amiga btw...

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
The Virge is supposed to be supported under Picasso96 on the Mediator busboard.

Using it together with the Radeon is also possible. But keep your mind sharp while configuring the Mediator environment variables, because it'll ask you about the primary gfx card to configure the DMA vindow using the graphicscards memory. Doing this wrong will cause a crashy system.

The Warp3d documentation lists chips that it supports. I think it has some hardware accelleration support on the Virge, if memory serves me right it was the first 3d chip that was available to Amigas way back when with the CyberVision3d card.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@arnljot

So, If I undertand well, the best is to configure the Radeon as primary card, right? Because is 256MB.

Sorry, but some more questions.....

With older RTG graphics boards (PCI), Virge, Voodoo, etc. the video out it´s only for WB screens and promoted applications?

The video out for older games stay on RGB, composite or Indivision?

Amiga 3D games runs only on RTG Warp3D enabled boards?

Thanks

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@merlinkv

Warp3D does support the ViRGE chipset - its not the best 3D accelerator but atleast it has some acceleration.

I beleive you will have a problem when configuring two PCI graphics cards, personally I would suggest getting a Voodoo5500 (64MB) PCI as that is fully supported with Warp3D and you can still use 32MB or more for your system RAM.

Orr you can hold on for Radeon 3D drivers....

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@Zetr0

Yes, I know the Voodoo5 5500 is the best one. But really hard to find at good price. I see one on E-Bay but I think is very expensive for an old PCI board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Radeon 3D drives for linux do exist..... its a case of some one crazy enough and with enough time willing to port them.

What doesn't help is elbox's closed developer programm

I was looking to writing / porting some drivers for the PCI products that elbox provide, I contacted about sources etc and dev-kit - before I could get that much needed resource I had to agree to an NDA and the driver or software I wrote would not be public - but belong to them...

see that takes / extracts the urine as I wrote it free and they will sell it (or use it to sell a product) - kinda supa sucks to be honest, so I decided to have a look down the Open PCI (prometheus) alas I couldn't find a a prometheus card within budget for my target machine at the time.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
not that I am aware of, only the prometheus had that support.

What I dont understand is that Elbox could open up its developer base with a structure for officially supported drivers and a seperate community drivers section (ones that have not been completely tested in all environments) - this would be a hug boon to them as

1. They have an army of enthusiastic / insane coders for the Amiga that will help develop their product FREE
2. Impoved driver compatabilities
3. More supported cards/adapters

and thats just off the top of my head.... the only sense in keeping is closed is nonsense to be honest - there are NO other PCI vendors for the Amiga and I seriously doubt there will ever be so they have nothing to loose and so much more to gain.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Sorry about the "?". It does :) The OpenPCI libraries have supported Mediators by ways of reverse enginering, and have for quite some time worked well too. The issue they have is that they don't have any gfx card drivers, and still depend on a working Mediator setup with software first.

The question mark was more like: "Why not program it now?". But I don't want you too yet, you've got too much else on your plate ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I didn't know there were open PCI drivers for the Mediator!! very interesting!!!

alas indeed i do - a lot to catch up with so I wont be writting any drivers any time soon LOL bsides I dont have not built my developement (mediator) box for that yet lol!

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
After reading several post in other threads......

I read about compatibility problems with Voodoo5 5500, this is true?....

So, using Radeon for WB and promoted apps, and one Voodoo3 3000 for Warp3D games... It´s the best solution? The most compatible?

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Then you have a full feature support. The Voodoo3 is a better Warp3d card feature wise, but it runs super hot. So in a "crowded" system the Virge will be better.

You're on the right track for what you're trying to do. But that doesn't mean that it's a well traveled path :p

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
OK.

I test first the Virge....

As I said to keropi this evening I send a pair of pics. Maybe I don´t need to buy another one.....

But if I buy another board I go for one 5500..... But I need to search more to find one at good price.

Thanks to all (y)

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Well I take the pics..

This board can run on AmigaOS? What about Warp3D games?

DSC02020.jpgDSC02019.jpgDSC02018.jpgDSC02017.jpg

Before I said about a "PowerVideo" chip, but is a "PowerGraphics"

Thanks

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
OK, that "powergraphics" chip on the card is just an eprom with the vga bios. Powergraphics is just the manufacturer/model series. What you got there is a typical Virge 4MB card that will work with mediator drivers fine... though it's 3D capabilities are VERY limited and probably warp3D games would look awfull...

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@keropi

Understand.... Now, I try to find one Voodoo5 5500.

Thanks for the answer.

Top Bottom