SATA Power cable mishap.

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
Got a call from a customer, their terminal server failed after they moved it.
Seems the sata power cable worked loose and shorted overnight. When they came in the following morning, it was still turned on, but just hung.
I have not seen a pc go smokey since the days of the 286.

burnq.jpg

:eek:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
That'l buff out =D

Once you bought a new one.

I thought e-sata cables had anchors to stop that from happening?

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
Nasty.. Odd for it to happen, usually quite hard to pull off once connected..

Only the data cables have clips to stop em coming off usually.:eek:

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I have seen some power connectors that have retention clips, but this is not at all common. Having those things melt isn't uncommon. If someone drops their computer hard enough you can jostle loose that connector, and if you have a loose power connector and you turn on the computer.... BAM! Fried hard drive with a side of whoops! That will be the fifth or sixth one of those I've seen. I live in an area of klutzes apparently.

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
Yea, I was suprised, it burned the hd power cable back about 6 inches, never seen anything like it, I think it must have been a poor solder joint from connector to board, and just popped up and grounded, as power cable was still properly connected square, even if it was melted. data was recoverable (by board change and clone to new drive)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Just goes to show the reason why it is common practice after moving a workstation or server to have a quick check inside the case and make sure everything is still in place.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I agree with opening up and checking. I haven't seen that happen in a server, but I've seen it happen in desktops. The connector comes slightly loose where it appears part is touching the connector and part is touching the body of the hard drive and the thing just explodes basically. I haven't seen one burn like that with the connector firmly on though, that's new. I've also seen bad SATA hard drive cables, usually adapters do that. Strange. Just goes to show things nowadays are built more with profit in mind and less with safety and reliability.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
i best be a bit more careful, i have a sata and power cable plugged into the back of my pc, so i can hot plug sata drives for testing etc.. No problems so far.

multivac

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
London
I've seen crt monitors catch fire.:wooha: but nothing like this.

I'll have to remember to check the SAM SATAs if I take it to an ANT meeting.

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
Ah the joys of high current low voltage supplies. Minor shorts don't trip the PSU are it just assumes its a your Nvidia GeForce 1.9x10^5 graphics card spinning up its fan.

I have a broken 8 port ethernet switch I repaired by connecting it to the PC to bypass the dead power supply regulators. An extra long molex cable was soldered together. That last part was the problem, as some point the wires broke loose and shorted the thing out. After about 10 minutes I decided to investigate that melted PVC smell, and found the long cable too hot to touch almost all the insulation on the verge of forming a liquid. :Doh:

Took quite a while to cool down as well, an extension cable in the PC wus beyond repair, but weirdly the finer gauge long cable was fine.

I've read a story of one person in the 1990's era who was showing his daughter how to build a PC, and pointed out the point was not to panic. When the new machine was powered on, the daughter asked "is that hard drive supposed to be on fire ?". He panicked while the daughter was completely calm.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
SATA standards RE: connectors have been improved since release, yet they are still crap over Molex & 40 or 80 way cables. It's so easy to snap the "L" shaped connectors if not fully observant.

I've not been guilty myself, but the number of punters rig's I have serviced with snapped orientation plastics is amazing!!

One guy said his puter would not boot & sometimes it would. When looking at the hard drive, all that was left was 4 strips of copper. There was no way any connector was going to clip onto the data port. :LOL:

Kin

Top Bottom