right so as of now i have

ps2
amiga
pc
3do
master system
mega drive
wii

should i buy a Saturn? they seem quite reasonable, but is it worth buying as i already have a 3do? if not what reasonably priced console should i get next? i prefer a 32 or 64 bit machine, looking to spend £40-£50 with shipping

so what would you lot recommend?

cheers, JuvUK

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Re: Saturn????

How about an Atari Jaguar?
Never played one but some said they were quite good (others hated them but you always get that)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

the jag is one line of thought (AVPVM) is supposed to be a really cool game, what about the dreamcast, or gamecube?

choices, choices :D

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK

Depending on whether you want boxed etc but the local Cash Converters are selling Unboxed GameCubes for £10!!!

Dont really know anything about the Saturn.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

Yes i would recommend buying a Sega Saturn. My reasons being that there are a lot of really good games out there for it and thanks to the console being emulated on the PC, there are a number of places on the internet that you can find Saturn ISOS for download. There is also a retro game store on the internet that still stocks mod chips for the Saturn. PM me if you are interested as i dont think i can post links to other stores here. The 3DO is a great console too but when you compare the titles released on the Saturn then look at what was released on the 3DO, it is really quite sad for us 3DO owners. But like me, you too could have the best of both worlds. :thumbsup2:

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

JuvUK said:
the jag is one line of thought (AVPVM) is supposed to be a really cool game, what about the dreamcast, or gamecube?

choices, choices :D

Juzzer, I wouldn't bother with a Gamecube, just pickup a controller and plug it into the Wii.
The Wii has really good Gamecube compatibility, just pop the disc in.... :wink:

TC 8)

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

imnogeek said:
How about an Atari Jaguar?
Never played one but some said they were quite good (others hated them but you always get that)

From a collectors point of view, Yes a Jaguar is a must. From a gamers point of view. Dont waste your money as you will be shockingly disappointed. Dont get me wrong it does have some good games on it but the majority of the games are horrible looking and lack some real balls by the hardware to push the game along. Also the controlls are horrible when compared to other consoles. There are no shift buttons on top of the controller so strafing in Doom takes some getting use to. Alien Vs Predator comes to mind when i talk about the Jaguar being undrpowered. I played this briefly and was disappointed by how slow the game ran. They say this console is 64 bit, yet it hardly performs as a 32bit console or even a 16 bit console at times. Here's what i'd do if i was you and considering buying a Jaguar. 1. Download a Jaguar emulator and some roms. 2. Run the emulator on your PC and if there are any overclocking cpu options on the emulator, turn them off so it will run the same as the real hardware. 3. If you like what you see then go start looking for one to buy.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

I would get a Vectrex.

Of course I may have to come over and 'help' you play with it. :drool:

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK

I agree with Phil, when I saw that thing at Bytes Back I thought "I's Gotsta Gets me one of thems" They "appear" to go quite cheaply on ther other bay whether or not that is the true value I couldnt comment.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

r0jaws said:
I would get a Vectrex.

Of course I may have to come over and 'help' you play with it. :drool:

Yes i very much :drool: :drool: :drool: , when i see these advertised as i dont yet own one. I really didnt have an interest in them when they were easily available and going cheap, but now that that is not so, my interest has suddenly increased.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

@Juvvy,

i honestly didn't like the Jaguar simply because the controller just looked so much like a remote control.
My dreamcast on the other hand i like quite a lot (and so does the missus suprisingly). Simply because it requires no modchip, the iso's can be had online quite easily and they're quite cheap to pick up.

Mike

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

JuvUK said:
great info guys, so how about the dreamcast?

Yes i would highly recommend a Dreamcast. It pretty much has the same power as a PS2 (dont read the crap Sony wants you to believe) and as mentioned by scrappysphinx they dont need modding at all and isos are also easily downloaded from the internet. One thing you have to beware of though when purchasing a Dreamcast is not to buy the last version released by Sega. This model will not read any CDR media at all. There is also a couple of good Dreamcast emulators for the PC. Look for Chankast and nullDC. I used Chankast a while ago and managed to play a few games on the PC with it as i could be bothered hooking up the real Dreamcast at the time.

Cheers

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

JuvUK said:
the last model? how do you know the model revisions?

Good question. I am not sure of what revision this model is. What i do know is that models built before October 2000 should read games on cdr's without fail. Those built after this date might be suspect. Just had a look under my Dreamcast as i thought there might have been a sticker with the date on it or something with a revision number but the only numbers underneath look to be the serial number and not hardware revision. The revision number might be on the motherboard as are the Amiga revisions. I remember when i purchased mine from Cash converters, i had the guy there try out the dreamcast with a game that i had on CDR just to be safe.

AmigaNut08

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria

@JuvUK

Just did a bit of research for you regarding the different Dreamcast versions, and this is what i have come up with. There is a large Silver and black sticker on the back of the Dreamcast. It says Class 1 laser product and all that Hazardous stuff on it. On the bottom this sticker will be the region the Dreamcast was built for. Mine says PAL E, but before this on the same line there is a little circle with a number 1 or number 2 inside it. If you have a circle with number 1, you have one of the first models built, and this would be good to play those games on CDR. If the little circle has a number 2 in it, then its the second Release that may not play games on CDR. But as a precaution, i would recommend you try a CDR game first before you purchase it, if thats possible to do that at all.

Cheers

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

excellent advise thankyou very much,
i won't be able to try a cdr though as i'll be buying it on evilbay, so it'll be luck of the draw i guess :)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Juzzer

When you do find one just ask the seller to read the label for you my friend.... :wink:

Regards
TC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom