Scam attempt?

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I've got a buy ad to buy various parts for my Saab Sonett at Club Sonett Sweden, in Swedish. Well, a few days ago I got this email from a person supposedly in UK:

Aihe: Diverse delar Sonett III 73-74
Poista
Lähettäjä: "gc s____r" <gc.s______1@googlemail.com>
Päiväys: 22.4.2010 21:59
Vastaanottaja: tsaarela@mbnet.fi Näytä kaikki otsaketiedot

i am s_____r from UK .I am came Across your advert on website
that you are in need of the above subject...I just want to let you know that
i have it for sale and still in good condition..Let me know if you are
still interested and i will get back to you with condition of the item and
price thanks and hope to hear from you soon..contact number..+4470*******6

For me this smells like a 419 scam miles away. Here are some points:
  • bad grammar
  • the odds of an Englishman speaking Swedish
  • using the title of my ad containing various parts in Swedish as a single subject and not specifying what part it is, implying that he can't speak Swedish
  • the style of the message body similar to ones that I've read about.
What do you guys think and what should I do next? Obviously I'm not going to buy anything from him. Even if he was legit, which I doubt, I've already got the parts that I was after. Should I just leave the mail unanswered? The guy or the spam generator or whatever is probably aware that I've read the mail. No point of sending such mail without putting the read receipt on...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Never reply to anything you think might be SPAM as that will just confirm your address is active and working, and your address will then be added to email spam lists for sale to other spammers.

As you have found what you were looking for, I would just ignore it and add this personal email address to your spam filter.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
I agree with the others - looks dodgy to me. For your Saab parts - have you tried Elkparts? I use them for my Saab.

Cheers

John

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

If you obay that rule then you should always be safe from scammers.

As for Saab parts, have you tried hunting down for some Auto Supermarkets (or whatever they are called)?
Here they usually have one small reception area and a desk of which behind is a door to a Tardis (of sorts) full of discontinued and/or cut price new/refurbished parts.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Yup, I guess it's better to leave that mail just be.

@ Skilgannon: Elkparts is a good place but they mostly concentrate to newer models of Saabs. My Sonett is a -73, so finding specific parts for a reasonable price is like trying to find an A4000 PPC accelerator for a reasonable price. :LOL:

Lechuck

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
@protek and all,

I get the same type of mails in my yahoo mail account..

The only difference is the language which is Greek in my case...

I think we are dealing with a large spammer in this case and

unfortunately all I can think of is e-bay as my yahoo account

is mainly used there...

I keep deleting these mails but when I get a new one, probably in

a day or two I will show it to you...

It must be the same source!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Probably SPAM, but I don't agree about the bad english, I have to deal with so much bad Dutch, English people living & working in Brussels, and Greek to, and the more poore parts ofcourse of our world, taking care of there work permit, place to stay, informing them about a lot of stuff etc.. If I would think that way :( I would not have a job..:D So if a person living in the UK offers you something that you needed, not a native speaker it does not mean like a bad person = what you all signed for.

It could be an expat, willing to integrate a little, meaning doing a job that could not be sourced locally:roll:.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Probably SPAM, but I don't agree about the bad english, I have to deal with so much bad Dutch, English people living & working in Brussels, and Greek to, and the more poore parts ofcourse of our world, taking care of there work permit, place to stay, informing them about a lot of stuff etc.. If I would think that way :( I would not have a job..:D So if a person living in the UK offers you something that you needed, not a native speaker it does not mean like a bad person = what you all signed for.

It could be an expat, willing to integrate a little, meaning doing a job that could not be sourced locally:roll:.

Point taken and I've done business with totally legit people, who have used even worse English than the example here. Thing is that particular paragraph of text looked very similar if not the same that I've seen on those sites that are dedicated to bust 419ers. I mean, it's a generic paragraphrase that can be easily applied to any wanted item, although not very well on multiple items in another language.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
i am s_____r from UK .I am came Across your advert on website
that you are in need of the above subject...I just want to let you know that.

When seller doesn't even name what he is selling, it's a scam. ;) A friend of mine is selling a two year old acer travelmate. He expressed certain feelings towards using weapons of mass destruction on the people of countries like nig-eria (for some reasons, when I write that name the five first letters get cencored), for wasting his time emailing him about buying it and paying through some obscure escrow service. It wasn't just one, or two. It was several - every week.

Top Bottom