Sci-Fi book recommendations

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
Hi all

Ive just finished the last Iain M Banks Culture series book (The Hydrogen Sonata) and am now somewhat at a loss to what Sci-Fi to read next.
I have read many other types of book but Sci-Fi (particularly series set in the same universe with continuity) are by far my favorites.
So has anyone got any suggestions on specific authors / series?
Here is a quick list of which authors I have already read:

• Robert A Heinlein (all)
  • Isaac Asimov (all)
  • Greg Bear (Eon, Eternity, Legacy)
  • Philip K Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)
  • Peter F Hamilton (all of the Commonwealth series)
  • Larry Niven (all of the Ringworld series)
  • Frederick Pohl (all of the Heechee series)
  • Clifford D Simak (some)
  • Douglas Adams (some)
  • plus a possibly a few more :)

I may just read all the Heinlein ones again as its been a while since I read them.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
If you're not dead-set on hard sci-fi, C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) are some pretty fine reading, running the gamut from Burroughs-esque planetary romance to a gonzo proto-Orwell and pulling in medieval cosmology and classical myth to join the fun. Great stuff.

Nobby_UK

Country
England
Region
Liverpool, Lancs
John Wyndham
George Orwell

Frank Herbert

Philip K. Dick

EE 'Doc' Smith
Ray Bradbury
Richard Matheson

Who Goes There - John W Campbell

The Questor Tapes - DC Fontana
The Dark Side of the Sun + Strata and #ifdefDEBUG + `world/enough' + `time' - Terry Pratchett
Super-Toys Last All Summer Long - Brian Aldiss
I, Robot - Eando Binder
Make Room! Make Room! - Harry Harrison

Last edited:

Sir_Lucas

Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
William Gibson - The Sprawl Trilogy, The Bridge Trilogy
Neil Stephenson - Snow crash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon
Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
Philip K. Dick - Man in the High Castle, Ubik

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
I wondered if there was ever going be a book recommendation thread. I was going to mention Pohl (Gateway is fantastic) as is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick. Neal Ashers Hilldiggers is ok, Alistair Reynolds Pushing Ice, Absolution Gap and Revelation Space are good. If you're not adverse to graphic novels, the Transmetropolitan series by Warren Ellis is fantastic. Also Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos and The Elegant Universe are great reads if you're into popular science/physics. Everyone should read the Foundation Series and Peter F's Pandoras Star, all great.

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
Thanks for the suggestions guys (y) I've added a few new authors to my list :) I've decided on another Peter Hamilton series called the Confederation (written before the Commonwealth series).

@DojoDan - Gateway and the Blue Hell bar were awesome.

Asimov's Foundation series and Heinlein's Lazarus Long books were some of my first Sci-Fi. Everyone should read them all at least once. My cat even got named Pixel because of The Cat Who Walks Through Walls and nothing to-do with computer graphics which blows lots of peoples minds :D

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Hi Bastich, was nice meeting you over the weekend :)

My fav Sci Fi author (but more fantasy I guess) is Raymond E Feist (the magician series of books). Have a wee look and see if it takes your fancy.

Cheers

John

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
Hi John.

It was a great get together, glad I finally got to meet some of the Amibay community. Looking forward to the next one :)

I've been meaning to look at the Magician series as one of my oldest friends has recommended it a few times also (y)

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Rather than point you towards a specific author, I would recommend getting a Kindle and exploring their Si-Fi section. The books are generally cheaper, and there is some excellent work out there. Forging Zero comes to mind. I got the cheapest Kindle possible and it's just used to provide an anchor for my account (you have to have a device to purchase Kindle books, what you read them on is up to you).

Uncle_Meat

Never knowingly underweight
AmiBayer
Country
Wales, UK
Region
Newport
No mention of Arthur C. Clarke yet?

For shame! :p

Also, not quite classic Sci-fi, but certainly other worlds of imagination, The Illuminatus trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson.

Fnord.

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
@Rootboy - I've been using ebooks since I had a Nokia N80 in 2006 :) Although I like the Kindle my wife and daughter have I prefer to just use my phone as that's always with me. Not as good in bright daylight but it's never been a real problem. Plus I can read in the dark with a phone (black background, blue text).

@Uncle_Meat - Never realy got into the Arthur C Clark thing after the films. I probably should TBH but of the big 3 Asimov and Heinlein seem to have a bigger range of work.

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
@Rootboy - I've been using ebooks since I had a Nokia N80 in 2006 :) Although I like the Kindle my wife and daughter have I prefer to just use my phone as that's always with me. Not as good in bright daylight but it's never been a real problem. Plus I can read in the dark with a phone (black background, blue text).

I don't use a Kindle device (I couldn't even tell you where it is at the moment), I just use the service.

It's not space-based SiFi, but you might want to check out the "Silo" series by Hugh Howey.

Top Bottom