Not open for further replies.

McVenco

Grumpy Old Man
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Limburg
I've just (well, it's been a week already - but I've been busy with other things which prevented me from going on the www most of the time) returned from a 14-day roundtrip through Scotland with my girlfriend and I'm still absolutely amazed by the beauty of that country, especially the vast emptyness of the Highlands. I had never been there before (or anywhere else in the UK for that matter), so I had only some (although quite big) expectations based on pictures seen here and there, and maybe one or two items in tv travel programs. But my expectations (luckily) were not high enough, cause Scotland is now absolutely on top of the list of the most beautiful places I've been. I'm more of a nature than a city person, and Scotland has huge amounts of jawdropping landscapes.

We've visited a few castles, did some small walks (just a couple of miles) through the hills here and there, and driven about 1500 miles, half of it slalomming between the sheep on single track roads :ROTFLOL2:

Top 5 of the most beautiful things I've seen/done (in no particular order)

- walk to Neist Point lighthouse on the Isle of Skye (amazing view of the coastline - we even saw a basking shark there!)
- walk to a B-24 Liberator crash site (end of WWII) near Gairloch (walked for 3 hours and saw zero other people - we felt pretty lonely up that hill :? )
- driving the A87 from Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsch (a completely mankind-ridden landscape, amazing road to drive)
- Edinburgh
- Inverewe garden (50 acres of green and flowery prettyness)

Two weeks was of course WAY too short to visit all things we wanted to, so I'll have to come back a few more times to see all that I want to see.

And I absolutely LOVE Highland Breakfasts (well, apart from the black pudding)! The downsize is that I gained 5 kg, so I really need to get back into sports now :shock:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Re: Scotland is absolutely amazing!

I am a scot myself but live in the midlands (England) and I must say I feel the same as you every time I go up there.
The Isle of Skye is a particular favorite of mine with great seafood restaurants, the Cullins which I have ventured into/on a couple of times and the coastline which is amazing.

Last time I was up there we went from Dunvegan on a trip out to sea to see the seals and any other wildlife we could find, imagine my suprise when we turned up at the boat to see a small 6 man rowing boat with an outboard on, it was great to do but wouldn't fancy it in anything but calm seas.

Did you visit a distillery while you were there and obviously have a few Scotches?

Gary

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis

Agreed, Scotland is one of my favourite destinations also. Usually I stay around the Boat of Garten area (Loch Garten) close to Aviemore. I do also prefer the rough westcoast, it is just amazing. The drive up north from Ullapool is great! but then again, almost all parts of Scotland are nice, there are just too many to mention.
The borders with the great monastic ruins of Jedburgh and Melrose (Elgin cathedral is nice too), the Cairngorm highlands (I walked the Lairig Ghru!), the Caledonian Canal, The Black Isle, The Inner and Outer Hebrides (Calanish standing stones on Lewis are magical) and well, just soo much more!

Oh; almost forgot: The fantastic ferry ride from Glenelg to Kylerhea (pivoting ferry) and the otter sanctuary there.
I believe the story "Ring of bright water" originates from Skye.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Scotland is a Beautiful place. The Mull of Galloway is vey nice & quite Tropical being kissed by the North Atlantic drift. Lovely sandy beaches & palm trees, & not many miles away in the Grampian Mounains, you can go skiing!

Amazing contrast, beautiful Scenery & definitely worth a visit via several Distilleries. :drinkin:

Kin :mrgreen:

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

I'm an Edinburgh boy, although I'm in Fife now (not too far away mind you...)

I'm off up north tomorrow for a Stag weekend in Perthshire - beautiful place. They say Scotland is the "Big small country", which is a pretty good analogy!

AndyC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom