SCSI and IDE?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Can't see any reason why not. Should work just fine! :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Yes, you can,

And I will talk you though setting up AmiCDFS too =D

although you would get a faster bndwidth via - SCSI as that will DMA straight to 24bit ram on the GVP - but you can always wait untill said SCSI CDROM pops up =D

In the package comming your way is 2 IDE Optical drives =D

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
cool, so i could run a small SCSI hd with the os on it, and chuck all my other stuff on a monster IDE hd?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
most certainly can sir!

you can have upto 7 devices on the SCSI chain =D

(includes Optical Drives/ Harddisks / DAT drives / Networks & Scanners)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
One thing Juzzer. IDE will load the CPU whenever you are accessing the hard drive. With SCSI, there is no CPU load so ideally, you should be trashing the IDE all together. ;)

Kin

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i agree m8, but untill i'm flush again, i'm just thinking of temp measures, if that adaptor i linked to will work then i will be able to ditch the ide hd straight away (y)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
so if this does work with a miggy i'm good to go as a big 80pin scsi hard drive is as cheap as chips :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@JuvUK

I have the same adapters here I use for the A2000 and PC, work perfectly fine -

You are however limmited in disk size by the controller - the GVP controller (Not equipped with a guru rom) can only physically see upto 4GB of space.

Pending on the geometry of the drive it might not see much more than 2GB - however - you can have up to 7 disks so not all is lost LOL

instead of buying of thos 80-50 adapters, I would suggest that SCSI to IDE adapter

I have an A500+ with a GVPHC+ (8MB) SCSI controller using one of these adapters - using a 20GB IDE HDD - (geek moment upcomming) its running in UDMA mode over 24Bit SCSI DMA... mmmm feels good =D

Alas the controller can ONLY see 3.1GB of the device

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
yo bud,
4gb will be plenty enough for me, after all know all i'm going to do is play Superfrog and Wing Commander :LOL:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I have a 18Gb SCSI HD & a SCSI CD-ROM on my GVP HC+8 with 3.15 (latest no-Babel ROM). But I'm using OS3.9 in mentioned beast with 3.1 ROM.

I have to mention my boot device is an ancient 512Mb IDE drive hooked in a GVP 2000 030 SCSI RAM (4Mb). Then move the control to SCSI and redo all the assigns, dismount IDE controller, reboots from SCSI and then binddriver the IDE again for a more user-friendly use. :)

Too much convoluted? You didn't see nothing yet! :twisted:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@rkauer

have you got the full 18GB?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@rkauer

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: please... you must tell me how you managed to get the device to see all of the harddisk :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

alas my 3.15 equipped A500HC+ (HC8+) cannot see past 3.1GB on a 20GB HDD

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Oops! Forgot a little detail: I'm using Babel's Binddriver GURU ROM image! :oops:

The process is the one described above:

I'm using an ancient 512Mb IDE drive hooked to my GVP 030+SCSI+RAM to boot rightly on 3.1 (not much at all). In the Startup-sequence I'll binddriver the GVP SCSI controller, dismount the IDE controller, then using a GVP command to pass the control of OS to the big and faster SCSI drive and then reboot in 3.9 mode (that is made automatically by 3.9 itself).

Later in 3.9 mode I can (if I wish) re-mount the IDE controller on the GVP card using a special binddriver driver to hook any IDE device I want in that crappy IDE (already tested with a DVD drive!).

I don't know if you can do this a single-controller Amiga.

Top Bottom