Status
Not open for further replies.

abraXXious

Banned
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
I have 6 Cheetah 10,000 rpm scsi 68 pin hard drives.... but putting them on a 50 pin narrow scsi cable is such a f&^king pain the in the arse that I will just bin them and start again.

I am chasing a scsi hard drive (or two would be even better) at least 9 gb in size..... ready to plug into a 50 pin narrow scsi cable. Thats it! Surely not asking too much?

I have some 68 pin to 50 pin adapters, so the hard drives must wither be 50 pin, 68 pin or have their own adapter to go to 50 pin.

Hard drive must not need some psycho reject termination system that NOONE can quite remember how to terminate and that the knowledge of how to configure it has been lost in the mists of time...

Hard drive must either work with PASSIVE TERMINATION OR must be able to self terminate.

Anyone have anything like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

abraXXious

Banned
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
Hi Geraldine.

Good luck with the scsi - it sucks to the max. Back when there was just narrow 50 pin scsi it was manageble, terminate the last device, make sure each device has a unique ID and off you go.

Now with the mixing and matching, passive termination, led termination, active termination etc etc it is a goddamn nightmare. :(

In fact, I am on the verge of simply purchasing a couple of Buddha IDE cards and forgetting Scsi as an option.

At this stage I would be happy for someone to simply suggest a few models of drives to look for etc.

Geraldine

Re-discovering Amigas after a bit of an absence!
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
You should contact that shop abraXXious, they at least might be able to advise you if no one here can help. Once you know the model of drive to go for, you could look for one closer to Oz. There are quite a few suppliers based in Hong Kong too I would bet.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If you really want 'easy' SCSI, get a couple of 4GB 50pin SCSI drives. Seagate ST51510N drives are cheap and plentiful. If you absolutely must have more space than that, you'll be looking at mixing different types of SCSI and all the pain that entails (And that's before you even start thinking about filesystems!)

Or yes, just go down the IDE route. At least it's easy. :)

abraXXious

Banned
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
Hey Andy. I thought of that. I could make do with 4gb, thats not the prob. The problem is that drives of that size are probably quite old now, and how much lifespan would they have left? The last thing I want to do is spend time and money on something that sh|ts itself in 6 months time. :(

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
1038   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
No one has mentioned SCSI-IDE yet, I picked up an IO-DATA SCSI-IDE bridge from the other bay and its hooked up to a 40gb IDE HDD.

Its running sweet and I have it at the end of the SCSI Cable, but nothing in between as far as I can tell it self terminates.

Its hooked up to my Blizzard PPC SCSI.

Steve.

abraXXious

Banned
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
No one has mentioned SCSI-IDE yet, I picked up an IO-DATA SCSI-IDE bridge from the other bay and its hooked up to a 40gb IDE HDD.

Its running sweet and I have it at the end of the SCSI Cable, but nothing in between as far as I can tell it self terminates.

Steve.

That sounds great! How is the performance? Can you get scsi to sata? Or is it possible to go from scsi to ide and THEN to sata? Not very elegant, but if it works...

What did the adapter cost?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
1038   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

Steve.

That sounds great! How is the performance? Can you get scsi to sata? Or is it possible to go from scsi to ide and THEN to sata? Not very elegant, but if it works...

What did the adapter cost?

Hmm not sure if that would be a price drive thing or not :readit:

Also not sure about going to SATA, I'd stick with IDE at the end.

Right now I am running it in the factory settings and performance is good although I have not tried any advanced settings like ASync.

At this time I am getting about 4.2-4.5mb/sec although I expect to be able to acheive around 8mb/sec once I understand all the modes & jumper settings.

Another option which I use in my Desktop A1200 is FastATA from Elbox, with a CF-IDE adapter I'm getting about 4.7mb/sec, although I beleive that is restricted by my MaxTransfer setting and expect to be able to acheive more.

Steve.

Ed.D

Blogger
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
If the SFS filesystem is used there's a SetCache command which, accordnig to the documentation "can increase performance drastically." (y)

ajk

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
225   0   0
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
You can get SCSI to SATA, I have a 120GB 2.5" SATA hard drive in my A4000 at the moment. ACard make lots of nice adapter cards/boxes but they are on the expensive side.

Attachments

• sata-scsi.jpg
    sata-scsi.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom