AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Howdy oh SCSI folk and AmiGuru's

I needs your helps please :D

Will this work with my Z3 Fastlane using this adapter?

Thanks in advance Amifriends :cool:

Steve.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ fitz

Yes, providing you acquire all the relevant converters & the SCSI bus is terminated correctly.

This is the beauty of SCSI. (y)

Kin

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@ fitz

Yes, providing you acquire all the relevant converters & the SCSI bus is terminated correctly.

This is the beauty of SCSI. (y)

Kin

Thanks Kin, I'll let you know how I get on.

This will be in the A4k Tower with my Z3 fastlane and the A3640 d0pefish has repaired and is upgrading to 33+mhz/ver3.2 for me :D

Damn I love Amibay :bounceBoingBall:

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi

Just to comment......

I don't know but I have adapters exactly like this one and don't work with my CS MK-II SCSI...... Don't recognize any of my SCA HDD's. :cool:

CS SCSI is tested & works fine with standard SCSI-II devices & HDD 68 pins with adapters..... :)

I bought adapters 68-50 with the high-byte termination. Not yet received and, of course, not tested. :coffee:

It will be SCA HDD => PCB SCA-to-68/50 => Adapter HB term => SCSI bus

As showed at the "A1200 for export....." thread.

Best wishes

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Fitzsteve

Personally I wouldn't recommend ANY fushitsu hard disk - IDE or SCSI, these drives are made choc-full of epic fail! - I cannot put into words the level of hatred I have for fushitsu hard drives - they make great camera's... just not hard drives.

Anyway - the Adapter I whole heartedly recommend however since i have 4 of them =D

Now. I have some Disk recommendations but first let me explain that on eBay theres a lot of HDV (high voltage differential) SCSI - this is completely incompatible with the needed LVD (low voltage differential) - most HDV stuff is Compaq and DEL based units - so unless you know exactly that the unit is LDV/SE complient - avoid this nightmare and do not buy these brands of drives.

Now, I would recommend pretty much most Segate and IBM devices, although when you do your own searches make sure that these drives are LDV - most are, however its your money so be totally sure before you part with cash =)

okay I had a flit round eBay for you and found the following

1st up is a little more expensive - but its an IBM device not a fushitsu

IBM 36L8773 9.1GB SCSI 10K £9.99 free PnP (eBay.co.uk BIN)

2nd in line is a little more expensive still but twice the size 18.1GB

IBM 36L8751 18.2GB 7.2K U2 SCA SCSI 3.5" £12.99 Free PnP (eBay.co.uk BIN)

Now I have bought a lot from blackmoore IT and I would recommend them.

I have one of the 2nd units as my Primary Harddisk on my A4000 - although its the 68pin version not the SCA80 or SCA50 - I do use the same adapter - that you have to the 50pin SCSI connector - I just use another 68pin cable to the drive =D

What ever you do things to know -

1. Dont buy fushitsu hard disks.... ever.... (if some one gives you one... punch them)
2. Ensure that the device you are buying confirms to LVD/SE and NOT HVD
3. When setting up the harddisk if the option to FORCE SE is available ... use it!
4. SE = Single Ended
5. when it comes to Hardisks I am a IBM/Hitachi fanboi, however SeaCrates are also good =)

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
The Fastlane Z3 is 50 pins scsi, so the easiest way is to add a 50 pins SCSI HD 4 to 10GB set it to ID2 not terminated and then add a CDROM/ DVDROM 50 pins scsi drive set to ID4 and terminated and you should be good, you could also use adapters 50-68 pins UW and take the chance on how it works.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Oops, I already bought the Fushitsi :Doh: (Shall I punch myself?)

Oh well I'll see how I get on with that, will be something to do whilst I'm off work over Christmas!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I know what to buy next time and what to expect when this drive arrives...

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland

Oh well I'll see how I get on with that, will be something to do whilst I'm off work over Christmas!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I know what to buy next time and what to expect when this drive arrives...

If it spins, formats and doesn't have bad blocks, why should you ? :D

I'm a Quantum/IBM fan on the Amiga side, but on the PC side it's Western Digitial and Intel SSD all the way ;)
And not the WD Green edition drives (yes these can be a bit weak), but the Raid Edition 4 Enterprise harddrives.

I have real dislike for Maxtor, the are like coffee grinders (n) loud and noisy :censored: things.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Entire true must be said: all 10~15k RPM drives are noisy as a coffee grinder attached to a turbine of an old 707.

I simply love the old "economic series" Quantum drives that only spins at 5400, they are so quiet that you need to rest your ear on they to know if they are spinning.

You'll burn your ear, of course.:pissed:

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
The way that Zetro feels about Fujitsu, is how I feel about Samsung.

Avoid like herpes!

By the way, A2000 with 68 pin 9.1gb SCSI Fujutsu, using 68->58pin adapter = all OK here!

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
"fushitsu fan boi's..... like zombies..... must be killed!" ;)

Although I have had *amazing* amounts of fun with Samsung Spinpoint series of drives so I cannot argue with that!

Now as our good rkauer points out 10k + drives are like akin to a coffee grinder attached to a 747 engine - but they are lovely and quick - I am running a 15k in my A4000 - tres yummy =)

and its nice to know when the computer is turn on that harddrive is spinning.... you kinda miss this with all the SSD these days.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Also 10k+ HD can be turned on nice environment heaters: you can turn the calefaction off on Winter when using them. :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks guys!

I have another question abous SCSI :oops:

What type of connector is this in the attaches picture? It connects to a Blizzard PPC. Wondering what sort of cable I'd need to connect that to an external CDROM, and even what sort of CDROM like a slimline (exteral) one if possible. Its to be used with Desktop A1200 project...

Cheers!

Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 0

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi Steve

Looks like one MICROD50 (maybe micro68?), you need one adapter to "standard" IDC50 (or maybe Centronics 50 depending devices/enclosures) for CDROM
and/ot to 68 pin for HDD's.....

You can post a pic of the front of the connector?

Cheers

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
its a microd50

if you ask Amiga Kit they can make you pretty much any kind you like - you can use any microd50 cable to an external microd CDROM bay - or (and more likely) a microd50 to centronics 50pin cable - theres are common on ebay - as are chassis - you could infact just use an old deskop chassis and hack that as an external SCSI bay =)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey oh SCSI Guru's - hoping to use this to connect my Blizzard PPC to a SCSI-IDE bridge, does anyone know hat I'd need to buy to achieve that?

Assuming these SCSI-IDE devices are 50pin or do they make one Micro 50pin I can whack straight on this?

Cheers!

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
I'd say forget about CDROM with an SCSI --> IDE Bridge...
Why?
First of all you need the following:
- BPPC's SCSI to 50pin SCSI cable : Gives Female 50pin internal connector
- Female to Female 50pin ribbon cable because...
- ACard or R-IDSC-E/R SCSI-to-IDE bridge : requires 50pin female internal connector
--> If you want to connect CF2IDE Adapter then you can connect directly to ACard's IDE connector an 40pin adapter
--> If you want to connect Slim IDE CDROM.... You need:
--> - A 40pin cable Male-->Female
--> - An 50pin JAE connector to 40pin IDE (to use to a slim CDROM)
--> - A Slim CDROM
--> - OFC you can use a 40-->44pin cable along with 50pin JAE to 44pin if you wanna include the power lines.

As you'll see you got a serious complexity of adapters/cabling that is kinda shity in desktop environments.
My suggestion would be to go with an SCSI2IDE Hard Disk (or CF) and use the CDROM in the Native IDE (either as Master) or Slave if you use another CF as Master (for OS4 for example).
That way you can have all aspects of OS'ese and every possible speed available without this complexety... Still you'll realise the cabling horror after you have everything set-up :D

Tuxon86

AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Quebec

If it spins, formats and doesn't have bad blocks, why should you ? :D

I'm a Quantum/IBM fan on the Amiga side, but on the PC side it's Western Digitial and Intel SSD all the way ;)
And not the WD Green edition drives (yes these can be a bit weak), but the Raid Edition 4 Enterprise harddrives.

I have real dislike for Maxtor, the are like coffee grinders (n) loud and noisy :censored: things.

The WD Greens are great in a media server. They are silent and they don't overheat. I have 14 of those in my media server here.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey thanks Marios, nothing ever simple eh ;)

Lots of info to mull over there :coffee:

Top Bottom