Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hey guys

Little out of my depth here. Just paid for this:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=8337

Now every drive I have seen has pins on the back (scsi) how do you connect that item to a scsi drive with pins? Or is there a case that people prefer?

I also wondered how I was going to power the drive without a case for the cdrom as well. I guess I could pull a wire from my ATX PSU towards the drive.

If you read this JuvUK can I grab a power cable out of that PSU for a drive? Not sure how you wired it up on the inside.

Cheers guys

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Jimbo

Thats a 50pin Centronics SCSI cable - you will need a 50pin Cetronics to 50pin Female connector - I have a couple of these so I shall send you one FOC =) just PM your address and I will get it to you this week.

Now... I suggest geting an external DVD/CDROM unit and modifying is - although a Micro Desktop PC Chassis with an AT power supply would look awesome - and you could put a SCSI HDD in there as well.

I am now darting of to the gym - I will have plenty more to help you with.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Jimbo,

I used an External SCSI CDRW within an enclosure with my Squirrel and now with my Blizzard SCSI. The Cable from the Squirrel will plug straight into most old Apple/SCSI-1 External Drives.

I'm not sure how else you'd power a 'loose' SCSI drive, you may be better off looking for an enclosure for it as you'd probably need internals anyway as they have all the settings for SCSI ID and termination.

Steve.

Edit - I see Zetr0 has a plan for you :D

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
yes you can m8y, it's a standard atx PSU so there should be "spares" floating around in there for you(y)

Hey guys

Little out of my depth here. Just paid for this:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=8337

Now every drive I have seen has pins on the back (scsi) how do you connect that item to a scsi drive with pins? Or is there a case that people prefer?

I also wondered how I was going to power the drive without a case for the cdrom as well. I guess I could pull a wire from my ATX PSU towards the drive.

If you read this JuvUK can I grab a power cable out of that PSU for a drive? Not sure how you wired it up on the inside.

Cheers guys

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Ah this is great. Thanks a lot for all the info/help guys. Thank you Zetr0 I will send a pm in a bit :)

This is the beast (I got from here actually https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=9051 50 pin cdrw) So yeah Steve same idea with the cdrw :)

Now JuvUK has told me the extra power molex's are actually inside the PSU that makes getting power a lot easier as I plan to sit this drive right near the PSU anyway (y)

So I think a custom case with Zetr0's cable would fix me right up?

I notice this drive has an audio out, would it play cd32 audio tracks from games as is?

I also notice you were talking about SCSI ID Steve, I see the jumper for the ID settings but no idea where that should actually be set to. It looks like its set to ID 0 and another jumper is on TERM whatever that means.

Cheers again guys (y)

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Well - looking at the picture there is actually a jumper on pin 0 - which means it's likely to be ID 1. ID 0 is no ID jumpers at all (and is usually used by the scsi boot device, normally a hard disk). The 3 jumpers are actually a binary count of 0-7. CD's tend to be set to ID 4 ( 3rd jumper installed on its own) but so long as it's not the same as any other scsi device on your controller you'll be fine.

As for the terminator jumper - If that is set then the termination resistors are enabled on the cd drive. Basically, this needs to be set on the last device on the scsi cable (it requires termination at the end of the scsi chain). If the cd drive is being used on it's own, or the rest of the devices are between it and the controller you have the termination jumper set. Otherwise take it out.

Hope that helps anyway. :whistle:

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Well - looking at the picture there is actually a jumper on pin 0 - which means it's likely to be ID 1. ID 0 is no ID jumpers at all (and is usually used by the scsi boot device, normally a hard disk). The 3 jumpers are actually a binary count of 0-7. CD's tend to be set to ID 4 ( 3rd jumper installed on its own) but so long as it's not the same as any other scsi device on your controller you'll be fine.

As for the terminator jumper - If that is set then the termination resistors are enabled on the cd drive. Basically, this needs to be set on the last device on the scsi cable (it requires termination at the end of the scsi chain). If the cd drive is being used on it's own, or the rest of the devices are between it and the controller you have the termination jumper set. Otherwise take it out.

Hope that helps anyway. :whistle:

Hey

That is great info thanks (y)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Jimbo

I have found an external 5.25 bay you can have if you want it - it was an old PC paralell CDROM - however those gubbins can be thrown and the SCSI cable retro-fittled - it uses a standarad kettle lead (pc power plug) with an inbuilt transformer for 12v/5v/gnd molex =)

you will need to change the backport of the unit from parallel to centronics 50pin female connector (I am sending this) - it leads into a standard 50pin female SCSI connector for the CD

infact... gimma a day and I will hack -it up ready for you =)

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
@Jimbo

I have found an external 5.25 bay you can have if you want it - it was an old PC paralell CDROM - however those gubbins can be thrown and the SCSI cable retro-fittled - it uses a standarad kettle lead (pc power plug) with an inbuilt transformer for 12v/5v/gnd molex =)

you will need to change the backport of the unit from parallel to centronics 50pin female connector (I am sending this) - it leads into a standard 50pin female SCSI connector for the CD

Zetr0 this is very very kind of you (y) I knew I would need your skill's pretty soon hehe :) Thanks for doing this for me, hit me up in PM to let me know how much I owe you. I am in no rush at all, my case is on its way to Merlin for some retr0bright magic anyway.

Thanks very much Zetr0 :bowdown:

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
@Jimbo

Did you have any luck with this Zetr0? Also did you get the parcel with the keyboard layout thing I found for that keyboard I sent a while back?

Cheers (y)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Jimbo

Parcel Arrived this morning my friend - my sincere thanks for that

Since Mr Postie felt a delivery of 07:50 was a good idea - went to my storage and I dug out the External Caddy and Cable - should have it whipped into shape this week for you to just - plug and play =D

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
@Jimbo

Parcel Arrived this morning my friend - my sincere thanks for that

Since Mr Postie felt a delivery of 07:50 was a good idea - went to my storage and I dug out the External Caddy and Cable - should have it whipped into shape this week for you to just - plug and play =D

Bit early that :D

Thanks for this Zetr0 you have saved me :bowdown:

Top Bottom