SCSI to IDE bridge installation to A4000

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I thought I'd make some use of the GVP SCSI card that I have and put it into my A4000. It isn't the best solution available but it still beats the onboard IDE. I found a relatively cheap SCSI to IDE bridge from the other bay. I currently have a CF IDE adapter in card bracket, making the CF card easy to move for file transfers.

Now, when I started to put things together , I hit couple of snags:
The GVP card is a full length card so it is a bit of a pickle to fit into A4000. I really have to remove my Retina card before I can get the GVP to seat in the Zorro slot.

The SCSI to IDE bridge on the other hand is of type that plugs right into a back of a hard drive, having a female connector. It plugs nicely into the CF IDE adapter but you can't get this combo to fit in the card slot. It seems that I have to get a custom IDE cable with male and female connectors. I have another CF IDE adapter that doesn't go into card bracket but I'd then miss the easy access to the card.

Now, obviously my setup is set for the SCSI.device, which controls the IDE. What do I need to do to change it to SCSI? I have also a SCSI CD-ROM. Probably a good idea to change that too.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I rearranged the cards over today. The SCSI card is now next to the CF IDE adapter. Too bad the the IDE connector on the SCSI IDE bridge is oriented the wrong way. Otherwise it would have beena nice and neat setup. Now I have to put a custom cable, that I ordered from Amigakit, in between.

There's quite a lot of twists and turns on that SCSI lead. :D

27052010141.jpg

And a closeup:
27052010142.jpg

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Now, obviously my setup is set for the SCSI.device, which controls the IDE. What do I need to do to change it to SCSI? I have also a SCSI CD-ROM. Probably a good idea to change that too.

If it's a GVP SCSI card, you'll probably be wanting to use gvpscsi.device :)

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa

If it's a GVP SCSI card, you'll probably be wanting to use gvpscsi.device :)

Thanks for the tip, AndyLandy! I am indeed using a GVP 2000 HC+8.

One thing worth mentioning is that my SCSI-IDE bridge is an R-IDSC one. I've taken the time to study, how to set up the jumpers on that. What I still need to do is to set up the ID and termination on the CD-ROM drive - and to figure how to get the gvpscsi.device in my A4000. I'm currently a bit short of methods for transfering files between computers.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
...and to figure how to get the gvpscsi.device in my A4000. I'm currently a bit short of methods for transfering files between computers.

You plug the GVP SCSI card into a Zorro slot. That's all there is to it. gvpscsi.device is loaded off the autoboot ROM on the card. Huzzah for autoconfiguration!

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
...and to figure how to get the gvpscsi.device in my A4000. I'm currently a bit short of methods for transfering files between computers.

You plug the GVP SCSI card into a Zorro slot. That's all there is to it. gvpscsi.device is loaded off the autoboot ROM on the card. Huzzah for autoconfiguration!

So it seems. :LOL: Thanks!

Forgot that I'm still missing one cable between the SCSI-IDE bridge and my CF-IDE adapter. Hopefully, that will arrive along my ZorRAM card.

Last edited:

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I got the missing cable now. Tried booting from floppy and opened HDToolbox. It can't detect the GVP SCSI device. In bootup, the A4000 goes to insert WB screen after 30 seconds or displays the black screen infinitely, if boot jumper closed on GVP. The memory on GVP displays ok. The R-IDSC should be properly jumpered so that it doesn't terminate and is recognized as hard disk. The CD-ROM, which is last in chain is terminating.

Is there any other jumpers on GVP I should try? :help:

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I tried changing to the gvpscsi.device in hdtoolbox icon but it still can't see the CF card.
i could really use some help here.

whiteb

Mostly Harmless.
AmiBayer
Country
Melbourne, Australia
Region
Victoria
I tried changing to the gvpscsi.device in hdtoolbox icon but it still can't see the CF card.
i could really use some help here.

Just to lay some ground checks..., you may have answered them already..

Bridge needs 4 pin molex power (HDD Connector), CF adapter will need Floppy type connector.

Bridge jumpers

1, 2, 3 are SCSI ID, this must be UNIQUE
4, 5, 6 SCSI 1/2 select.
7 PIO/DMA
8 Flash Rom Reprogram mode.
9 Termination ON/OFF

My own jumper for my R-IDSC.

1 OFF, 2 OFF, 3 ON (SCSI ID 4)
4 OFF, 5 ON, 6 OFF (SCSI-2, as I used a CyberSCSI MK II).
7 ON (DMA)
8 OFF (Flash protect)
9 OFF (Default, Termination on).

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@whiteb
Looks like I have to gather up an extra jumper somewhere. I have 5, 7 and 9 jumpered as the bridge isn't terminating but I have no jumper for defining the ID. Thanks for that!

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I set the device ID to be 2 but this didn't do any change. My CD ROM is set to 4.

Now, I suspect that the autoboot jumper in GVP should be on but then it doesn't even go to the insert WB screen. The screen just stays black. Do I also need to set an ID for the GVP, as it has jumpers for it? The GVP ROM version seems to be 4.5 based on the label on top of the ROM chip.

Anything else I could try? I have one SCSI HD but I don't have a proper connector for it. I also have an IDE HD to try out but I'd really like to get the CF card working.

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
You have a lot of hardware on your chain, and you really have no sign on what each peice of hardware is doing. Working, or incorrectly configured?

1) My logical suggestion is to remove all the excess stuff and start with a basic setup of CONTROLLER <-> SCSI HDD. Make it be seen by the computer and make it boot.

2) Then, replace the SCSI hard drive with the CF IDE drive (and its adapter) and make it be seen by the computer, and then make it boot.

3) Then, add the CDROM and make sure your CF can still be seen by the computer and it still boots.

And so on.. (y)

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Before even that, I'd like to understand, how the GVP card works. The manual isn't very comprehensive about the settings. It says that the GVP has SCSI ID 7 reserved. Still, there is jumpers for setting SCSI ID. What SCSI ID do the jumpers determine? The manual also suggests to set the attaching HD's ID to zero and remove terminating resistor packs. Should termination be removed, even it is the only peripheral in chain?

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
Hmm I still feel you should try as I suggested, and worry about termination after you have the basics of CONTROLLER <-> HDD working.

However, to answer your question. The end devices on the SCSI chain are the ones that require termination, and it only needs termination when there are more than one device on the SCSI chain. Basic example....

No termination required:
CONTROLLER <-> HDD

or,

CONTROLLER <-> CDROM

Termination required:

terminator -> CONTROLLER <-> HDD <-> ANOTHER HDD <-> CDROM <- terminator

or say,

terminator -> CONTROLLER <-> INTERNAL ZIP DRIVE <-> HDD <- terminator

Still, start with the basic CONTROLLER <-> HDD and get that working, then build on that.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
:eek:fftopic:sorry.

where did you find the scsi ide bridge? what did you search for? i can't find any at all on ebay, and the ones i've found in stores are really expensive:(

again sorry for the hijack

cheers, JuvUK

hikey

Country
Bristol, UK
Region
avon
Before even that, I'd like to understand, how the GVP card works. The manual isn't very comprehensive about the settings. It says that the GVP has SCSI ID 7 reserved. Still, there is jumpers for setting SCSI ID. What SCSI ID do the jumpers determine? The manual also suggests to set the attaching HD's ID to zero and remove terminating resistor packs. Should termination be removed, even it is the only peripheral in chain?

The controller is terminated by default (via the two yellow resistor networks just underneath the connector), you wouldn't normally remove these unless you're using a combination of internal AND external devices on the card. You don't need to touch the SCSI ID jumpers on the card. You definitely need to have the Autoboot ROM enabled though, as this enables the gvpscsi.device driver. If you don't have this enabled you'll need to manually load 'soft' drivers and you won't be able to boot from the controller.

whiteb

Mostly Harmless.
AmiBayer
Country
Melbourne, Australia
Region
Victoria
@whiteb
Looks like I have to gather up an extra jumper somewhere. I have 5, 7 and 9 jumpered as the bridge isn't terminating but I have no jumper for defining the ID. Thanks for that!

Jumpers 1, 2 and 3. SCSI ID.

OFF, OFF, OFF = SCSI ID 0.

If two devices hold ID0, then you will not get boot.., but I do not know what ID the controller will obtain.

I did find however that with my CyberSCSI MKII, that it has an INTERNAL and EXTERNAL connector, I had to have the EXTERNAL connector board (that has its own termination) connected, before the INTERNAL would spring to life. SCSI is a strange beast at times.

Just had a look at your pics again, I have found that the SCSI bridge draws a fair chunk of power.

My own 4000 has suffered boot issues with the SCSI bridge and CF to IDE adapters.

4000 setup: Indivision, Cyberstorm 060, CyberSCSI, 4GB CF.

4000 IDE CF CARD ONLY - Boot.
4000 CyberStorm/Cyberscsi (No devices), 4000 IDE - CF card, boot.
4000 CyberStorm/CyberSCSI, SCSI BRIDGE, 10GB IDE HDD (4000 IDE, NO DEVICE) - Boot.
4000 CyberStorm/CyberScsi, Scsi bridge, 10GB IDE HDD (4000 IDE - CF CARD) 4000 will have erranuous errors, like doesnt boot, boots partway with crash.

4000 Cyberstorm/CyberScsi, SCSI Bridge, 4GB CF CARD (IDE - NO DEVICE), 4000 4ill have erranuous errors, does not boot or boots with crash.

As far as I can tell, given the Cyberstorm, CyberSCSI, Indivision, is that I am nearing the maximum Wattage/AMP for the 5V rail from the power supply (18A peak). So I either jury rig up a PC power supply to increase up the Amperage on the 5V, or i have to replace the 4000 PSU, neither of which i am prepared to do right now. I have to find another Power supply to give MORE than 18A on +5V, which I can only find on 650W+ PSU's, which are too big to fit in the case, beside the Motherboard.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

:eek:fftopic:sorry.

where did you find the scsi ide bridge? what did you search for? i can't find any at all on ebay, and the ones i've found in stores are really expensive:(

again sorry for the hijack

cheers, JuvUK

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-IDE-40pi...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a7eb093e

About as good as you are going to get right now, Sorry. I got mine for US$30 +P&P, but after that, the seller ramped up his prices.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Juzzer, those SCSI-to-IDE converters are called ACARD7720 (don't use the more expensive 7720U or 7720UW). On USA Evil Bay they pop every now and then really cheap.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Juzzer, those SCSI-to-IDE converters are called ACARD7720 (don't use the more expensive 7720U or 7720UW). On USA Evil Bay they pop every now and then really cheap.

thanks for info m8y (y), i shall keep an eye out for one :)

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@ hikey, matt020, whiteb
Thanks for all the advice! The next I'm going to try is to disengage the CD-ROM and try with just the SCSI IDE bridge and CF card. At eab, there was a successful setup with a GVP for A500 and R-IDSC. Going to try those settings.

Top Bottom