SCSI

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Greetings,
I am hopefully about to get an A4K, and i'm thinking about adding a SCSI drive to it, but i have NEVER had any dealings with SCSI before, so my request is this...

good someone give me a good SCSI guide? what will i need? how do you "terminate"? is it worth doing? etc, a step by step tutorial would be nice if anyone knows where one is?

cheers, JuvUK

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hiyas m8y

Any DMA SCSI card will be faster than the native IDE on the Amiga -

not only can it transfer faster, it also does this WITHOUT CPU LOAD, which is emminently awesome (and you must have it)

Even a Zorro 2, GVP HC+8 Series SCSI controller will outperform the native ide BIG TIME -

With an 060@50 pushing the native IDE you will be lucky to see 2MB per second. in the process of this your 060 will be hung-up doing it.

With a GVP HC+8 and a standard 68000@7.5 it can perform upto 3.5MB with NO cpu load. (although in testing this on my A2000 a while back you could expect upto 2.4MB *considering you dont see 1MB on the native ide* )

----

Imnogeek and I are here to help and provide you with all that you need for the wonderfull beauty of SCSI =D (including cables and if needed terminators)

you will need need to get a SCSI solution for your A4000 -

For Zorro 3 = Fastlane, you will need a Buster update, but its the better card in this area

expect around 7MB Async transfer and 10MB sync transfer

by far the best solution on the A4000 is the Cyberstorm Mk 3, it has SCSI 3 onbard (upto 40MB a sec)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Not so convoluted as a brain surgery, but have some caveats.

1- termination: just the first and last device must have it and both must be the same type. If the controller have a passive terminator, you must use another of those at the end of cable or in the last physical device on the cable.

If you will use external devices, then you need to remove the termination on the controller and provide another one on the last external device.

2-ID: all devices must have a different ID (from 0 to 7). The controller itself normally is unit 7. Prefer your boot HD to be unit 0 (no jumpers on the ID pins).

More as you got the controller.

Oh: all SCSI drives will work, some with a proper gender adaptor.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
what about these?

Oktagon 2008

A2091 SCSI Controller

GVP Impact II

Great Valley Products a2000-HC8 Series II

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
@Juv

I have a GVP HC+8 in my A2000, and it works flawlessly providing good DMA HD transfer due to having onboard RAM..
It is ZII card however & although will function in the A4000, with as Zetr0 has stated better performance than the onboard IDE (no CPU Hit).
A ZIII solution would be much better, Keep your eyes open for a Z3 Fastlane SCSI..

TC :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Or an accelerator with a onboard SCSI controller, like the Warp Engine or Cyberstorms.

Drop the Apollo ones, BTW: they are pure crap (no DMA, emulated chip, poll transfers).

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
lol @ all, you lot must think i'm made of money!!! accelerator indeed!! fastlanes!! lol

will the GVP HC+8 work and be better than the ide? will the miggy boot from the scsi disk? is the Oktagon 2008 any good?cheers, JuvUK

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
I don't know much about the different cards available Juv but as Kieth mentioned earlier any SCSI card will be better than the onboard IDE it is just that some are better than others.

I'll leave it for somebody else to comment on the GVP HC+8 and Oktagon2008 who knows what they are talking about :whistle:

Once you get the card SCSI is simple just give us a bell if you get stuck.

Gary

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Sorry for slight thread hijacking but I've got one question regarding the DMA in SCSI.
I've got an A4000 with an A3640 Rev. 3.0 and Retina BLT Z3 RTG card. I also have a GVP HC+8 that I'd like to install into my A4000. I also have Buster Rev. 9. Having read the BBOAH about the DMA issues with those revisions, am I going to face a heap of problems, if I install the GVP card into my A4000?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
There is a lot of good ZorroIII DMA information on the E3B support pages:

The list of Zorro III DMA cards is small, but possibly not complete:
  • Fastlane Z3: SCSI is DMA, RAM is PIO. Buster 9 / 11.
  • A4091: works only with Buster 11, not recommended.
  • A4000T SCSI: a A4091 by design, has influence on Zorro III DMA.
  • DENEB: Buster 9 / 11.
Other (exotic) Zorro III cards may use DMA also, expecially data intensive cards like SCSI controllers.
Despite other rumours the Mediator line does not use Zorro III DMA.

As a matter of fact DMA is only possible with Buster Rev 9 and 11. Moreover, using Buster Rev 9 makes it mandatory to have all Zorro III busmasters using a workaround to keep the system stable (known cards: Fastlane Z3, DENEB). Using a Buster Rev 11 reduces the number of allowed Zorro III busmasters to one (yes, one).

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
@TC,
what buster version is on my mobo? will i have comparability problems with SCSI?

cheers, JuvUK

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@TC,
what buster version is on my mobo? will i have comparability problems with SCSI?

cheers, JuvUK

Depending on your mobo revision, it can be either 9 or 11, socketed or soldered.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
thanks protek, but i haven't actually seen my motherboard yet so i don't know what buster it has (I believe TC will see my board before i do!;))

cheers, JuvUK

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@JuvUK

They are aout the same to be honest my friend, although the GVP has slightly better setup software the both have the same limitations.

btw the a4k motherboard has Buster rev 11 on-board

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
thanks Zeety-poos :D

is buster 11 a good or bad thing?

and getting the Oktagon2008 will be fine? as in compatible and faster than the IDE?

cheers, JuvUK

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
amiga.resource.cx said:
Most A4000s have Super Buster revision 9 chips which turned out to be having problems with Zorro III cards using DMA. It can be replaced with revision 11, although early models have their Buster soldered to the motherboard. Late models shipped with revision 11 ones.

There are some benefits to 9, but I don't think they overcome the problems with rev 11. Can't remember the whole thing though.

A little bit of Google tells us:
Dave Haynie said:
The Rev 9 part has two bugs that can cause problems with Zorro III cards. One can affect some kinds of bus slave cards, it depends on the card design. This is due to a small flaw in a synchronizer stage in the Level II chip (Level II runs a slightly faster bus protocol than Level I, and also supports burst). The other is a flaw in the Zorro III bus arbiter -- there's a small window in which a Zorro III slave cycle just starting can confuse a bus registration command, locking the bus. Rev 11 solves both problems, so you need it for DMA devices. The Rev 9 problems were fairly well qualified, so you have some devices that offered work-arounds. I didn't for the A4091 -- at the time, C= probably wouldn't have let me do the Rev 11 chip if the A4091 could have worked at all in existing A4000s

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
thanks rkauer,
i will grab that as it looks like a cool program, but as i said i don't actually have the amiga to run it on yet ;)

cheers, JuvUK

Top Bottom