SD card via parallel port?

Nutterts

Country
Netherlands
Region
Drenthe
Hi,

At the moment I use a 100MB parallel Zipdrive for easily getting software to my precious x86 machines. With some machines like the Toshiba T1000 it's the only way I have to transfer data to it (besides serial/floppy). But I love programming, been enjoying myself with micro controllers lately and was looking for a project to waste allot of time on.

Basically I was thinking of using a micro controller to hook an SD card to the parallel port and write drivers and utilities for it. Sounds simple but, biting of more then I can chew. I've written lots of stuff but never a dos device driver. Which is also why I'm thinking about doing it... feels like something I should have learned but never did. I think some of you recognize the feeling.

I was basically wondering if I'm an idiot and unaware of some other solution that does this or if there are other people who'd also want something like that.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
DOS Parallel/Serial Interlink is (one of) the easiest way to get things to an XT class machine

Last edited:

Dr_Diesel

Country
Ireland
Region
Galway
Sounds like a great idea! Although writing a DOS device driver could be a considerable challenge I would imagine. What driver are you using with ZIP drive currently? Guest.exe or PalmZip? Would be nice if it ran on an 8088 as well.

Nutterts

Country
Netherlands
Region
Drenthe
Palmzip... don't remember the man's name but he deserves a nobel price. :) To be honest I almost always just use it on my Compaq Concerto (a 486SX) so .. Guest.exe. I know of Palmzip. But my zipdrive is a Z100P2, haven't gotten around to hooking it back up and testing the demo driver with my 8088 systems. I think my odds of it working are slim.

But yeah It should be 8088/86 compatible. It's exactly that problem (palmzip not support all 100mb drives) that made it seem a great thing to do.

Yeah the drivers are going to be a challenge. The hardware side is relatively simple. I'm looking thru the attic for a "How to write ms-dos device drivers" book I'm almost sure I still have. It should have examples for a ramdrive driver. My thinking is that I should be able to use that as a skeleton driver.

It should also work with a non-bidirectional parallel port. No SPP, ECP, EPP. Probally a nibble mode kind of protocol but I have a theory I can't wait to try out for something a little faster.

Top Bottom