Second chance offer on EvilBay

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

I recently bid (and lost) on a sale of a certain Atari console + games.
The sale ended 3 days ago, and today I got an email from the seller saying that the winner does not respond & he'd like to offer me a second-chance offer.

Now, what bugs me:
1) I'm not the 2nd highest bidder, there is one other.
2) This is quite a heavy lot & the shipping cost is very very low compared to other similar lots. Also, the stated shipping service (USPS First Class) is limited to 4 pounds, which I'm certain is less than the weight of this lot.

As I have little experience with EvilBay, is my money safe if something goes wrong? (package not showing up or something else does...).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
It sounds a bit suspicious to me. Only 3 days have passed. I think a seller would normally be required to create a new thread for any item not sold.

Also Ebay's guidance is that you should never enter into sales outside of Ebay.

In all honesty I personally would not go ahead.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If it's a genuine 'second chance offer' then you have all the same protections as if you'd won the auction. Log in to eBay's website and check your messages there, it should be easy to work out.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

Its not outside Ebay, the seller said he would send the offer via the site.
I never agree to transactions "outside the system" :)

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

@AndyLandy:

What about the low shipping?
Am I to assume all other sellers inflate their shipping price by hundreds of percent?
It is kind of strange :unsure:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
The one time I got stitched up on ebay it was a 2nd chance offer. The persons account had been hijacked and the items were not genuine. All the bidders where offered a 2nd chance and those who paid for the item never got anything.

This was sadly before ebay offered full protection so I never even got a refund, the case was closed and I was told if the paypal account had any funds then I'd get something but it had been cleared.

Now, this could be genuine of course but as Ed.D says, it does sound a little suspicious.

These days I think all transactions are covered (you may wish to double check that) but there are time frames you have to wait before claiming and you have to open a case, etc, etc.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, you could at least send a question to the seller and ask about postage and see what they have to say.

Steve.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
@Steve:

I did send a question about the shipping a few minutes ago.
I'll wait for a full explanation before deciding.

Thanks for all the advice!

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Why not also ask Ebay customer support to check it out as well? You can only ask :)

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
@Ed.D

What can I tell them? it all looks legit so far, the seller did nothing wrong.
He doesnt have many feedbacks, but I did check them out & they're from many different buyers & all are positive (he has a 100% rating).

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Probably the winner of the auction changed his mind, so maybe he didn't want the item, so the seller offered the item to the second in list or third.

I've bought in the past a similar item as I wasn't the first winner and as AndyLandy said, you're fully covered with eBay's Second Chance Offer.

Top Bottom