Setting up a PPC system

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
I have my BPPC from stan :)

I'd like to get a setup going so I may test the card; however I have no idea what I'm doing or what's best!

I understand I have some options:

1. Vanilla OS 3.9 installation
  2. ClassicWB 3.9
  3. AmigaSys AGA
  4. Any others?

Im not sure what will be the best. I will have a Bvision soon also. Looking for advice on a choice.

Also what do I need to setup for an 060 + BPPC? Will I be able to add the Bvision to this later and upgrade so I can get a nice resolution.

I should say I have an OS3.9 CD and that's about it!

Many thanks in advance ;)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Remember to install the WarpOS extras and all will be fine. :)

My advice is to get CWB ADV and start from that. Or go full monthy and use AmigaSys will all bells and whistles.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I suggest you start off with a basic Workbench and go from there.

When it comes to CWB OS3.9 and WarpOS/Warp3D I ran into problems however everything works on my Vanilla OS3.9 install.

Also AmigasysAGA works a treat too with or without updating it to OS3.9

I do think a lot of my issues were to do with the Mediator so if you are not using PCI you may get different results.

Of course when you set everything up its no problem to add the Cyber Graphics drivers later, my advice though is to take a backup after each major step in case something you do later screws everything up, and trust me - it will!

These are the steps I would take to test the first time:

Setup a Basic Workbench 3.1 on UAE and add the following files to your 'Work' Partition:

IDEFix97 (get from Aminet)
WarpUP and WarpUpdate from below:

http://powerup.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=13

Transfer files to your Amiga HDD or CF and Boot your Amiga.

Install IDEFix to setup your CDROM (you'll need this to install OS3.9 and OS4)

Setup OS3.9 (make sure you make and use the emergency floppy)

Once OS3.9 is setup install WarpOS and WarpUpdate.

Reboot, and you should get a message telling you to Terminate PPC.Lib or similar, you should terminate that. There is something you can install to stop that but I didn't do that yet ;)

Now you should be able to try out some PPC/WarpOS software, ADoom WOS/PPC should work on your AGA machine, grab that from Aminet and take it for a spin - if you need the WADS gimme a shout.

To install OS4, this is a bit more complicated...

Use another CF or HDD from your OS3.9 install as OS4 overwrites your boot partition, you can play with dual boot setups later :cool:

Again, start with a basic WB3.1 and install IDE Fix 97

Load up the OS4 CD, it should have a reboot into OS4 option on your Workbench. Remember you'll need the HDD/CF and CDROM on the same IDE or it wont work.

Once rebooted in OS4 you should have an install OS4 option, hit it and that will update/overwrite your OS3.1 and you'll have OS4 (y)

*Beware, the installer takes a hell of a long time**

Hope this helps a bit, its a hell of a lot to take in and you'll have many sleepless night these comming weeks.

Enjoy! :D

Steve.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Thanks for all the advice. As soon as X-Factors finished I'll give this a bash :)

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
good luck with that and any tips you find on the way plz post them

as all being well I`m going to get started on my ez a1200 tower 060+ppc+pci experience later next week,
I will probably most defiantly need the x factor but if that fail i`ll just ribbit to myself

Now steve where is that guide ;) hint hint .... er plz plz with ribbits on top ;)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Now steve where is that guide ;) hint hint .... er plz plz with ribbits on top ;)

Post 3 mate :D

@wasagi, now you've had the enjoyment of listening to Wagner murdering three Beatles classics, best of luck tonight mate (y)

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Steve,

Been going through your guide; although was able to install OS 3.9 from scratch on a blank HDD using the WB3.1 floppy to boot.

What exactly do I need from the PowerUP page? Just the PowerUP and the update? Or do I need system disk also?

I am currently setting up an amigasys + stock 3.9 setup.

What extras does amigasys need? It asked me for my accelerator during install (does this imply it installs some of the required files?)

Thanks in advance :D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Marc,

I think it just asks you for the boot picture to be honest, you still need to place your 060 libs in the 'libs' folder.

All I installed were the WarpUP and WarpUpdate and this has worked for me.

If you prepare your Amigasys4AGA setup then once on the real Amiga you can update it to OS3.9 with your OS3.9 CD, thats what I done.

Steve.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Where do the 060 libs come from? Sorry if these seem basic questions :s

Hi Marc,

I think it just asks you for the boot picture to be honest, you still need to place your 060 libs in the 'libs' folder.

If you prepare your Amigasys4AGA setup then once on the real Amiga you can update it to OS3.9 with your OS3.9 CD, thats what I done.

Steve.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Where do the 060 libs come from? Sorry if these seem basic questions :s

Hi Marc,

Steve.

click here mate (y)

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Okay. I've installed WB3.9 + BB1 + BB2.

I install warpup and reboot, the machine boots to workbench and after one second the system freezes

Any ideas?

have tried 3/4 times now

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yes I had the same probs it does that with the BB's installed so I had to leave them off. Maybe someone knows a workaround?

Steve.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
The general consensus that I have read is that Boing Bags and Warp3d just don't mix.
I'm not entirely sure what particular files cause the problem though.

portarinos

AmiJunkie
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas
Region
Volos
I have been using my A1200 with 4 partitions:

1) plain 3.9 without WarpUP etc. (plus some enhancements of course) with BB1 only since i found out that BB2 gives me problems mainly with CGX4 (i only use CGX3 for this reason)

2) OS4 (easy to install after tinkering a lot with it in many setups). I could probably provide you with a mini guide later on

3) ClassicWB ADV SP (just in case that something goes wrong with my 3.9 partition)

4) MorphOS PUP (this one is a hell of an OS. Fast and beautiful, i could only say that it seems like the "OS4" i would want but i don't exactly have)

Of course, if you want to install PUP you should first receive your BVision cause it won't run without one. Not to mention that OS4 looks way better with a GFX card

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Locate Installer on the 3.9 CD or download it from Aminet (installer433).

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
You would think, but I always use the installer from Aminet anyway.

Top Bottom