Setting up Blizzard 1240

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Hi all,

Received my blizzard 1240 today and to be honest I have absolutely no idea what I need to do to use it. I have searched for previous threads for blizzard 1240 but haven't found any advice.

The card came with no software; however, I was under the assumption that I will need some.

What do I need to do to get this card to work? I have had done a broader search and raise more questions than answers! Will I need to copy/move files? Use "patcher" programs? Use modified maths libs?

I currently use a classic workbench advanced SP setup and am ideally looking what to modify from this point of view!

This is a blizzard produced by DCE, I read on the H/W database these "possibly" run cooler than the phase 5 boards. Is this true? Will I need the trapdoor off in a desktop?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm pretty excited and full of anticipation to try this bit of kit out, without breaking it or thinking its broken because I haven't set up something correctly!

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi!

Well I didn't need any extra software to run my Apollo 040 card and I was running the same OS as you.

Zetr0 suggested to me HSMath libs from Aminet which I installed but thats all I did to be honest and my 040 ran really well.

With regards to cooling, does it have a fan? if not I suggest you fit one, there's not much space under the keyboard were the CPU will be so take that into account when fitting.

I've not fitted a trapdoor since owning an accelerator card, as even an 030 get pretty warm and its sure to help, you could look at something similar to Phipscube's mesh window mod in the trapdoor :cool:

Enjoy your new card, will be at least 3x faster than the Blizzard 1230 as you're running at 040@ 40mhz IIRC, same as the Apollo 4040 in my A4000, have a wee peek at my yourube page and the A4000 video's for some examples of what you can run.

Steve.

edit - just seen your sale thread, I can see you have SCSI kit as well, that will hold the Blizzard in place without the trapdoor becuase the SCSI kit fits above the little lip on the case.

Oh And I forgot the CPU on the Blizzard is at the bottom of the card (not the top like on the Apollo's) It should be ok as is but leave that trap door off mate ;)

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Hi!

Well I didn't need any extra software to run my Apollo 040 card and I was running the same OS as you.

Zetr0 suggested to me HSMath libs from Aminet which I installed but thats all I did to be honest and my 040 ran really well.

With regards to cooling, does it have a fan? if not I suggest you fit one, there's not much space under the keyboard were the CPU will be so take that into account when fitting.

I've not fitted a trapdoor since owning an accelerator card, as even an 030 get pretty warm and its sure to help, you could look at something similar to Phipscube's mesh window mod in the trapdoor :cool:

Enjoy your new card, will be at least 3x faster than the Blizzard 1230 as you're running at 040@ 40mhz IIRC, same as the Apollo 4040 in my A4000, have a wee peek at my yourube page and the A4000 video's for some examples of what you can run.

Steve.

edit - just seen your sale thread, I can see you have SCSI kit as well, that will hold the Blizzard in place without the trapdoor becuase the SCSI kit fits above the little lip on the case.

Oh And I forgot the CPU on the Blizzard is at the bottom of the card (not the top like on the Apollo's) It should be ok as is but leave that trap door off mate ;)

Thanks Steve. At least I know now that I can plug the card in now and start using it straight away. I'll see how I can get it all to fit in. Will I need to remove the scsi kit to put it above the lip or will it slot over or something?

Thanks!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks Steve. At least I know now that I can plug the card in now and start using it straight away. I'll see how I can get it all to fit in. Will I need to remove the scsi kit to put it above the lip or will it slot over or something?

Thanks!

It shoud be obvious how it fits when you start to fit the Blizzard, I'm pretty sure you'll need to open the A1200 to fits the Blizzard and SCSI Kit, I had to. I fitted the card (with the case open) with the SCSI Kit connected, feeding the Blizzard from under the A1200 with the Case the right way up on the desk. (Lid/Keyboard off)

And its always easier to fit them with the lid off, and less chance of damaging the card :cool:

You'll see when you line up the socket to the motherboard the PCB for the Blizzard is below the caseline and the PCB for the SCSI kit is above the caseline, if that makes any sense :whistle:

Steve.

I'm heading out now Wasagi, let us know how you get on and take lots of pics :)

Edit - One more thing! I also insulated the back of my keyboard in case there was any contact with the Simm or SCSI kit, this is becuase in my system I have no HDD cradle and this usually supports the keyboard, and besides - in my book, better safe than sorry!

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

@Wasagi, if you didn't find it already, the PDF manuals and DMS images of the disks (SCSI Tools) are on the below link:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzard1260

Enjoy your new toy :cool:

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Tried fitting the card.

First thing is the ram socket on the blizzard itself is angled at 45 degrees with rests for the ram so it wont bend back like it did on my blizzard 1230 which means it sticks a VERY long way out of the trapdoor. For now I have removed the RAM from the card.

I'm trying to fit the card in, but there is a little metal 'flap' on the motherboard shield that is stopping the card going in. Im sure this has the same connector profile as the 1230 so can't understand why this is so. Whats the best way of dealing with this? Bending the flap? Removing the shielding?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
If the flap intrudes too much then simply bend it back. If that does not give enough leeway for the card to slot home properly then you may as well remove the shielding

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Thanks blankstare, I removed the screw holding the shield in place fitted the card then refitted the screw. Worked a charm.

Card fitted. Fan is a bit of a whizzer :s . Is it normal not to be able to fit ram in these cards to fit a desktop a1200? Also the ram socket protrudes outside the bottom of the trapdoor.

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
it's normal - just make sure the card doesn't bow down towards the table as it will place undue stress on the connector and mainboard.

you can stop this from happening by simply hot gluing the card to the little lip inside the case - not too much glue though, just a couple of small blobs no bigger than a pea is all thats needed

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
it's normal - just make sure the card doesn't bow down towards the table as it will place undue stress on the connector and mainboard.

you can stop this from happening by simply hot gluing the card to the little lip inside the case - not too much glue though, just a couple of small blobs no bigger than a pea is all thats needed

The SCSI kit seems to hold it in place very well. I just wish the ram clips were a little lower, they are only a few mm lower than the feet of the desktop! Otherwise it would sit fine.

How easy is it to upgrade these to a 1260 and is it possible to replace the ram socket with a more angled one like on the 1230? And who if anyone offers this service?

amigaman2000

Amiga Forever
AmiBayer
Country
Spain
Region
Pontevedra
How easy is it to upgrade these to a 1260 and is it possible to replace the ram socket with a more angled one like on the 1230? And who if anyone offers this service?

Yes, you can upgrade a Blizzard 1240 to a Blizzard 1260, you must remove the 040, replace it for a 060, change a resistor and put a new voltage regulator. Hard, very hard to do if you haven´t very good solder skills. Contact Stachu in this forum he can do it for you, and yes, you can change the SIMM socket too.

Regards

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@wasagi my bliz 1260 is the same I plan to just run a 128mb simm on the SCSI kit.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Thanks for all the replies!

Between work/gym/life I haven't had much time to check here or test the board!

Have PMd stan about board upgrade and he says its possible, which is nice to know, will probably get this done if it doesn't push the price above a 1260!

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Do I need oxypatcher?

Top Bottom