Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Howdy Folks!

I've got a SCSI HDD on the way I plan to use in either my A4000 or A1200T (not decided yet)

Anyway... I usually setup my HDD on my PC under WinUAE as its so much quicker to transfer all those WHDLoad games and copy the SYS: accross to DH0, job done...

But I don't have SCSI on my PC, any idea's how else I can set this up?

Would rather not do all the file transfers on the Amiga in real time that will take a fair old while I imagine :(

Are there USB-SCSI converters like the IDE-USB ones? I guess I'll take a look on flea bay unless anyone has another suggestion...

Steve.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
There used to be a time when USB was not possible, we all used scsi scanners and had a internal scsi card with internal 50 pin on it!

Most of them are isa, but some users upgraded and bought a pci version..

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
There used to be a time when USB was not possible, we all used scsi scanners and had a internal scsi card with internal 50 pin on it!

Most of them are isa, but some users upgraded and bought a pci version..

I never used SCSI before I got back into Amiga's my first PC (P166/Win95) had USB!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
There are expensive convertors. It have adaptec aha 2910C very dirty rust covered card.. (from a dumpster) Should I investigate it further?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
You can buy SCSI PCI cards on evil bay quite cheap. I don't think there is any other way.

Cheers

Thanks Jimbo, maybe I'll grab one in the future if I decide to stick with SCSI HDD's, I think for this one I'll set it up in the A1200T off the Blizzard SCSI from a SCSI-CF on the same chain and see how quick that is with just the SYS: files.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Fitsteve

I did not want to offend you with my remarks.

If you wan't I can include a pci scsi card for free if it is still working..

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@Fitsteve

I did not want to offend you with my remarks.

If you wan't I can include a pci scsi card for free if it is still working..

If its ok to include it with the Voodoo card that would be awesome :cool:

Thanks (y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Steve,

That would be the idea, I'll even try at exact the same cost. I already incalculated 6.40 eu in the 15 pounds you pay me. You will hear from me soon!

I hope this gives some assurance, I had some spare time

I cleaned the scsi card and dried it with a hair dryer

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@fitzsteve

For me, the best solution for A1200T is to use the Blizzard SCSI Kit

- Install the OS you want using WinUAE on any external HDD 2.5" or 3.5" also CF's are usable (of course, configure the HDD in WinUAE as SCSI0)
- Connect the IDE with the OS in IDE channel of the mobo (or FastATA)
- Connect and config as ID 0 or 1 (best is 0) the SCSI HDD
- Start OS from the IDE
- Prepare & format the partitions of the SCSI HDD (like SCSI0: SCSI1 or any you want)
- Copy all contents of the SYS: partition (usually DH0: ... ie: copy DH0: to SCSI0: all noreq
- Using HDToolbox or another tool, make the partiton SCSI0: bootable & rename as "System" (if you use OS 3.x)
- Disconnect IDE drive
- Start the system

I think all works without any problem

After system is started & working you only need to configure the Mediator & the other boards you have.

Be carefull about SCSI PCI boards... the OS don't recognize Mediator PCI slots without drivers & libraries installed (pci.library, ......)

Also check if your SCSI version is 8.1 or higher...if not, maybe you have problems

IDE to SCSI converters exists, but are expensive. In anyway you need adapters for the Blizzard SCSI Kit, DB25 => 50 or 68 or.....

Cheers

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Also, there is a SCSI PCI driver for Mediator on Aminet, but it is not bootable (as it needs to be loaded from OS).

It accept Adaptec AHA2940UW controllers only, but will give you the possibility to use 80 pin devices without fuss. Massive cheap storage anyone?;)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@rkauer

I think you are conufused I will be running this either on the BlizPPC SCSI in my A1200 Tower or on the Z3 Fastlane in my A4000

Since my A4000 has only Buster9 and I don't want to spend on a Buster11 at the moment I think I will install in the A4000 this SCSI HDD.

I'm going to use the advice above and Boot from my CF on the native IDE and prepare the SCSI CDROM on the real Amiga.

Will let you know how I get on and what sort of Speeds I get (y)

Steve.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@fitzsteve

In theory specs are:

- Z3 Fastlane: 7 MB/s Asynchronous & 10MB/s Synchronous

- Budha IDE: from 2.2 MB/s to 3.5 MB/s

I think you get a better perfomance with the Z3. Also Z3 Fastlane is a DMA board (I don't know about the Budha).

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks merlinkv, the idea was to use it on the A4k with the Z3 Fastlane but I cannot get my Amiga to boot with it connected I think its a buster issue as I cannot even run my PicassoIV in Zorro3 mode. :(

A new buster11 is £30 on Amigakit so I might grab one and another one of these SCSI HDD's if its any good since I bought two LVD connectors since they were cheap. :D

Really want both these systems up and running in time for R3tr0 R3play in November as I'm exhibiting them :cool:

Steve.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@ftzsteve

If you want the boards works in "Z3 mode" without issues. You really need to change to S-Buster 11

Also the SB11 solves compatibility problems with Mediator boards (if you plain to get one in the future).

Only one DMA board "works" with SB11, but I have FastATA MK-V & DENEB working in PIO mode, of course, and performance are impressive.....

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
yeah, you can't have 2 DMA zorro three cards with a buster 9, also i think there are some scsi issues with buster 9 depending on your setup

merlinkv beat me to it

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Awesome guys :cool:

I just got an email from the wife to ask if I want any small present for my Birthday (I already had the big one PicassoIV lol)

S-Buster11 it is :ninja: (y)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thought I have a quick go setting up something on this SCSI HDD attached to the Blizzard SCSI but my Amiga will not boot at all with it attached (just black screen)

I can get to early boot menu and try to boot off the native IDE, it starts to boot but just stays at the same black screen.

I'm guessing SCSI Termination is the problem here but there does not seem to be a jumper to terminate, can anyone advise?

Here is the adapter I bought:

IMG_0223.jpg

Any help appreciated :bowdown:

Steve.

Top Bottom