Shenmue 3 is happening!!!!!

Trapshot

Pickle Riiiick!
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Outstanding, I've been waiting since Shenmue and Shenmue II on the Dreamcast for the third game.... I think the story was meant to be in about 9 parts or so, but the third was meant to encompass several parts apparently.... so here's hoping it's good!

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
I think it's quite sad to see the once mighty Sega reduced to kickstarters, I saw these at Wetherby services just outside of the toilets and thought ffs is Sega really reduced to this?

sega1.jpg sega2.jpg

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
Sega doesn't have anything to do with the Kickstarter though, but their state is still sad.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It is brilliant that someone is trying to continue the series finally, but I equally hope they will be able to do it justice with limited funds. The original was such an amazing game on the Dreamcast at the time and really should have made the DC much more popular than it ever was. Still one of my all time favourite consoles, and still one of my favourite games.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
I think it's quite sad to see the once mighty Sega reduced to kickstarters, I saw these at Wetherby services just outside of the toilets and thought ffs is Sega really reduced to this?

View attachment 90289 View attachment 90290

Ouch that is sad!

Fortunately, this is Yu Suzuki, not Sega running the show. The only hand Sega have had in it is licensing. Sony are also behind it, and it will be out on PC and PS4.

Please help spread the word and lets make this the best Shenmue yet! We may even see a HD remake of the first 2 if this goes well! People are already asking for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Outstanding, I've been waiting since Shenmue and Shenmue II on the Dreamcast for the third game.... I think the story was meant to be in about 9 parts or so, but the third was meant to encompass several parts apparently.... so here's hoping it's good!

16 parts if i recall. Maybe 17. Shenmue 1 was only part 1. Part 2 was the boat ride to HK which they skipped, and Shenmue 2 covered parts 3, 4 and 5.

Shenmue 3 will contain parts 6 to end, meaning there will be 10 or 11 chapters in it. It will be 3 times bigger than Shenmue 2 was. Yu Suzuki said he will finish the story.

Last edited:

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
Already put my notes down for the digital PS4 copy :) Really looking forward to this one! I'm going to re-play 1 and 2 on my Dreamcast whilst I wait :)

BrooksterMax

Need more time!
AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I'm definitely in for this - I had the pleasure of buying and playing both titles back with the Dreamcast which I still have to this day. Still fabulous games today, truly immersive and ahead of their time.

(For those that still own the DC versions, check the current going rate - Shenmue III has really got people wanting I and II again.)

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
I am disappointing with Shenmue 3 characters graphics as surely PS 4 will be able do much better than that as you saw Uncharted 4 characters Graphics!

Last edited:

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
I am disappointing with Shenmue 3 characters graphics as surely PS 4 will be able do much better than that as you saw Uncharted 4 characters Graphics!

Graphics shown thus far are only preliminary work. They didn't have the funds to fully develop the character models before announcement. They will be much improved before they release it and improvements have already been shown on the web.

They hit $2M in about 12 hours, and are currently over $4M with 12 days to go. Funds won't be so limited. The originally quoted $42M budget included the scrapped development for the Saturn, and Shenmue 1 + 2. The original games were probably around $8M - 12M each and they're now using Unreal Engine and likely still have assets from the original games they can polish. Game development is a bit easier than it used to be, too given the amount of open source tools out there. I think they'll be able to do a fantastic job with the $6M - 10M they'll end up with. Yu Suzuki set the initial goal at just $2M for the project to be funded.

Yu has half of the original team back onboard, too! Including the original English voice actor of Ryo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom