Shoon hackz

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
This be my Leet 4 Playah Adaptorrr constructed about 7 years ago when I was "grounded" at home being seriously sick for a few weeks, and very bored, so I've created this with the stuff I could find at home (that's why it's screwed to the piece of wood to make the whole construction stable and holds on ducktape mostly, LOL) and invited a few buddies to play DynaBlaster/MasterBlaster/MegaBlast multiplayer! 8)

4playahadaptah.jpg

Worked great then, but on Amizaduszki 2008 (November 15) it appeared the [fire] button stopped working, so immediately after getting home from Kraków I ripped it to pieces, and I am *currently* (lazy, lazy me...) working on a new design stored in an old HD case...
Stay tuned, I still got a few months to the next Amizaduszki 2009 ;)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Re: Shoon hackz

That has to be one of the most "homebrew" looking projects I've seen to date! ;)

Do you need anything special to make a 4 player adaptor? I might be interested in making one myself.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

For me the joy ports were hardest to get.
Besides that it's just a simple "solder one cable here to that connector there" project ;)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Do you have a pin out schematic for it for the correct wiring?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Great one, cheers. I will have to make one of these up when I get hold of the ports needed. I've wanted a 4 joystick adaptor for some time.

Something else I want to look into is making an X-Arcade interface to make that work with an Amiga. I wonder if anyone has already tried that?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

I recently picked up an X-Arcade Tankstick (as part of my MAME project). From what I know, it has a PS2 port and the buttons are assigned as keyboard keys (pushing the joystick or a button is the same as pressing a key on the keyboard). I'm not sure if it can be used on an Amiga though...

Perhaps using a PS2 to Amiga keyboard adapter would do the trick. Of course, the game would have to respond to keyboard commands instead of a joystick.

I'm waiting on my cabinet to be built for my MAME project but I'm going to post a nice article about the whole thing in the Photo Booth when I get the cabinet.

Take care,

Heather

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Sure, building an interface for your Amiga isn't that hard either, just remember most of those arcade sticks and pads have different signals then our Amy's, so you can do it the quick & easy way or the elegant & hard way ;)

Elegant & hard way: You build a proper adapter, with some kind of chip that will translate the signals, without touching the pad itself.

Quick & easy way: You rip the pad/stick apart and solder the cable directly to the button's controls on the pad/s "motherboard"
(that's my favorite ;))

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Ripping a $200 arcade control board apart isn't most peoples first choice.

And easier option if you were going to do that would be to buy some Happ switches and sticks, an iPaq controller, and then make an interface to convert the iPaq signals into something the Amiga can recognise as joystick port signals.

The X-Arcade controllers have always been designed with cross platform in mind. The main interface cable has a connector that comes as standard with a PC serial port and PS/2 adaptor for use with a PC. But PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, Gaecube, Mac, PS3 and Wii adapters exist to convert it to be used by all of those systems, so an adapter to allow it to work with an Amiga is definitely not out of the questions.

Of course, as Heather was saying, the PC interface of the X-Arcade controller as standard can be mapped to any keyboard keys, so using a PC keyboard adapter with an Amiga would mean that the X-Arcade could be used out of the box with PC keyboard mapping. But the Amiga games being used would need to have keyboard controls to work with this. Most Amiga games do have keyboard controls, so you could manually map the keys. But doing this for each game would be a tedious task as the X-Arcade controllers can only store 3 preset keymaps themselves in hardware via the 4 position switch on the back.

But developing a proper X-Arcade interface for the Amiga would be great and I think many people would be interested in it.

Regarding the X-Arcade Tankstick. It tool X-Arcade a very long time to finally merge their X-Arcade Dual Joystick controller with their rollerball conroller to make the Tankstick, but it is a great device now it is finally here. There were loads of early Arcade games that used a rollerball, so it is great fun having one as part of the control board. And not forgetting the pinball buttons on the sides. Great for Future Pinalled and Visual PinMAME. :)

I only have the X-Arcade Dual Joystick version, but that is great for general emulation alongside a mouse. But I also have a full Slik-Stik classic controller as part of my actual MAME cabinet which has a lot more controls on the board including a light-up arcade rollerball, some spinners, 6 joysticks, and much more. Great system.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Harrison said:
Ripping a $200 arcade control board apart isn't most peoples first choice.
Yeah, might be a bit too hardcore ;)

When it comes to PC there's hundreds of these cheap ">something< to USB" converters/adaptors so ripping that one shouldn't be hard ;)
Wonder if it would work backwards, soldering the Ami joy cable directly to the adaptor's "guts"... hmmmm...

Seeing the cool PSX to Amiga converters I was thinking about doing it the dirty way, I've got a spare PSX, I could (technically thinking here ;)) rip the connectors and solder the Ami cable to one side, and simply insert the PSX pad in... wonder if that would work ;)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Harrison said:
But developing a proper X-Arcade interface for the Amiga would be great and I think many people would be interested in it.
I would certainly love to get one. I am going to use WinUAE for Amiga emulation in my MAME setup. I can then map the X-Arcade buttons to the joystick port in WinUAE. Of course, it would override those keyboard commands so I would not be able to use the keyboard normally.

Harrison said:
Great for Future Pinalled and Visual PinMAME.
I've pretty much got my MAME computer all configured and part of that was installing Future Pinball. I'm super excited about getting it all put together!

Harrison said:
But I also have a full Slik-Stik classic controller as part of my actual MAME cabinet which has a lot more controls on the board including a light-up arcade rollerball, some spinners, 6 joysticks, and much more. Great system.
I'd love to see some photos of your setup. I'd like to get some spinners but they are a bit pricey. I just purchased a Act-Labs light gun for my MAME cabinet. It was expensive but I really like the light gun games.

Shoonay said:
I've got a spare PSX, I could (technically thinking here ;)) rip the connectors and solder the Ami cable to one side, and simply insert the PSX pad in... wonder if that would work
I did this with an original Nintendo Entertainment System controller. It has a common ground and the buttons complete the circuit to the ground. I removed the chip and original cable then soldered in an Amiga style cable. It worked like a charm! I'm actually thinking about doing it again since that controller was sold off when my old computers were.

Ciao!

Heather

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Yeah, those old console pads are easy, I "converted" a Pegasus pad (NES clone popular here ;)), and two SEGA pads (MegaDrive/Genesis, dunno) like that.

But something tells me an usb adapter is prolly harder...

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral

Damn me Shoonay that's a hack to warm the cockles of my heart!

Great work, hope to see more butchery from you! :D

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

Thanks Charlie ;)
I've got another project in my head from quite some time now, but the lack of time keeps it from being done...

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Here's the v2.0 version, took me over two years to develop but it was worth it. :LOL:

fVv3S.jpg

wKXf9.jpg

7rs2F.jpg

Ms73K.jpg

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
I'll have a break now from all that hard work... pm me in 2 years.

Sensi

Sensiual (©™ keropi)
AmiBayer
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Northern Bohemia
Painting it black and then putting it into the HD case took 2 years? :wooha:
Only Amiga ..... :LOL:

Top Bottom