Sid switcher

nivalis

Country
Norway
Region
Hedmark
I found this today, and decided to build one of my own. http://www.nightfallcrew.com/15/11/2008/sid-switcher-6581-8580/

I only connected the audio out pins to the switch, didnt bother with the CS pins. And I use the filter caps already on my motherboard for the 6581, I added the caps for the 8580 on the stripboard though.
Neither did I connect the ex. input of the 8580 to ground via a cap.. actually i left it floating.. may want to do something about that for noisereduction maybe?
Also I only had a 7810 on hand, no 7809, I will probably change that out later, not sure if 1v makes a difference, but better safe than sorry I guess..

The result is great, I can switch between the different sids on the fly, been playing sids experimenting for hours :)

Cheap and not too hard to do, recommended for those itching to use their soldering iron :)
I just need to find a way to secure it, currently i just soldered some pins to the stripboard and inserted into a ic-socket. And that ic-socket goes into the socket for the sid on the motherboard.. Not too stable really..
Thought about zip tie under the motherboard socket and around the stripboard, but there was no clearance under the motherboard sid socket..
Suggestions appreciated

2015-02-07 15.57.33.jpg2015-02-07 22.35.41.jpg2015-02-07 22.35.04.jpg

nivalis

Country
Norway
Region
Hedmark
Now I added a 3.5mm jack whith the 6581 chip on left channel and the 8580 on the right, and the effect is AWESOME! I guess I shouldve just bought a dualsid board instead at this point, but ah well :)

2015-02-08 13.35.55.jpg

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Nice!

I might give this a try when I have some free time. Will free up desk space, as I now have two machines for demo watching - one with 6581 & one with 8580.

kenshigros

Country
France
Region
Saint-Tropez
Hi again
is this the same ?
with Sid switcher you can switch in realtime between the 6581 r2 for example and r4.
Dual Sid you need to address the game or program to allocate the second SID not ?
Did I understand well or am I completely down the toilet...?

alex

nivalis

Country
Norway
Region
Hedmark
Well yes you are right, but it seem to be quite easy to mod the dualsid to be able to switch in realtime. You can set both sids to the same address, then add a switch on the outputs.
But it can not do it out of the box. I dont own a dualsid myself (yet..), so I havent tried it.

i found a youtube video of a guy doing exactly that with a 8580 and a 6581 though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEun6U53TLU

The board I made works very well if you dont care about stereo etc, and it only took me about an hour or so, since i already had all the parts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom