Sigh - amigas and recycling.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I asked in a non-related forum about if anyone had any Amiga-related stuffed away somewhere (Not uncommon), and one actually have had a a4000 with a monitor, but it was sent for recycling some months ago.

Who does that to a perfectly good Amiga, and a 4000? *sniff*

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I asked in a non-related forum about if anyone had any Amiga-related stuffed away somewhere (Not uncommon), and one actually have had a a4000 with a monitor, but it was sent for recycling some months ago.

People who don't realise how valuable and wanted they are I guess. It's all to easy to assume an old computer is junk and unwanted by anyone (like an old Windoze Pee Cee).

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad

People who don't realise how valuable and wanted they are I guess. It's all to easy to assume an old computer is junk and unwanted by anyone (like an old Windoze Pee Cee).

I'm in the search of a true Amiga monitor, and might pick up an old Amiga in the same batch. So I was a bit bummed out if I had asked some months earlier I might have gotten a better deal than the far away a500 with 1084.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk

People who don't realize how valuable and wanted they are I guess. It's all to easy to assume an old computer is junk and unwanted by anyone (like an old Windoze Pee Cee).

I'm in the search of a true Amiga monitor, and might pick up an old Amiga in the same batch. So I was a bit bummed out if I had asked some months earlier I might have gotten a better deal than the far away a500 with 1084.
Well miracles happen, I picked my 1084S for £1 sold as spares or repair, it's not perfect but it works well enough and I use it plenty. :)
I have been lucky with allot of stuff but I'm sure others have been also quids in finding retr0 stuffs. I would mention one guy who has a certain 'website of his collection' who is given absolutely tones of stuff worth possibly £1000's, I would go on to explain exactly why that site infuriates me on many counts but I would be ranting, I'm sure many don't want me to bang on about stuff like an oldie. :LOL:

Main thing is you cherish what you have and actually use them. Nothing winds me up more with stuff just being constantly collected and not shared with others to enjoy. Heck, I have given many 500's and 600's away to friends purely as I cant see why I should keep 7 or 8 of them and leave others out in the cold.

Best of luck mate, I just wish others where as 'giving' as I am then we wouldn't have this problem of over hyped prices and "OMG ULTRA RAREZ0RZ!" attitude on popular hardware.

[EDIT] Oops, kinda' ranted a bit there, sorry. :oops:

Last edited:

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens

One man's shit... is another man's treasure!

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Twice in my life I managed to save Amigas from recycling.
First time was 12 years ago, when I gained access to a city-hall warehouse that stored school equipment, including old computers used at various schools in computer-labs.
I basically had access to a huge hangar full to the ceiling with hundreds of A500/A500+/A600 & 1084 monitors.
I visited there the night before they were all sent to recycling & was told to "take as many as you could carry".

Too bad I didnt have a truck back then, I still feel sorry I could only take a small amount :(

Second time was about 8 months ago, when I visited a place I used to work at a long long time ago.
I remembered they had an A4000 & asked if they still do. One of the workers told me they sent it to recycling several months earlier, but then the owner arrived & said he still had it in storage somewhere.
Boy was I happy... even happier when it turned out there were two of them, and a boxed A1200 too!
The 4000's were in very bad shape, I basically got them in pieces.
Leaked batteries, leaked capacitors, dead PSUs, dead floppy drives, missing case parts etc etc.
After lots of hard work, I got one perfectly working unit out of it, the second one has a dead board - "grey screen of death" at boot :(

People who send retr0 gear to recycling should be punished! :LOL:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Quite recently I managed to save a load of Amiga gear from the landfill.

My next door neighbours were loading up their car with stuff and I was just going to my car and asking them in passing if they were having a clear out. They replied that they had a load of old computers and stuff they didn't have any use for so were throwing them away. I quickly looked in the back of their car and there were 2 A1200s and an A500+, plus a lot of boxes of blank disks and loads of other stuff.

I quickly explained that I collected Amigas, so he was more than happy for me to take the lot off him.

The horde ended up consisting of:

• 2x A1200 - both KS3.0 and working, but one with a damaged case. One had an 8MB Hawk trapdoor expansion with FPU though.
  • 1x A500Plus - boxed in nearly new condition with all manuals and disks etc...
  • Some Amiga mice, joysticks etc.
  • An analogue mouse and Amiga interface/software.
  • Sound Sampler and software, boxed as new.
  • Some more boxed productivity software.
  • A load of boxed games in good condition with manuals.
  • About 1200 floppy disks in 100 disk storage boxes. Mostly copied games, but also quite a few demos and PD disks. Some rare.
So this was a great horde I managed to save from destruction.

It also makes me mad when people just throw stuff away because they personally don't want it any longer. Even if it is still working.

I had a 32" Toshiba CRT Home Cinema TV I no longer needed as I'd upgraded to a Plasma, but it was still fully working so I wasn't going to throw it away. Instead I freecycled it and had 10 people wanting it within hours of posting the advert. You can always find someone who wants something you don't want if it is still in good working condition. And often some interested even if it isn't!

We live in a throw away society and need to change it. Everyone bangs on about recycling, but they don't really recycle much of their total discarded waste. How many people for example throw food scraps and vegetable peelings straight in the bin? A compost heap would be much better.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Freecycle is a fantastic way of getting rid of junk you no longer want. I disposed of a TV, Microwave and other kitchen appliances that way. Definitely gets a thumbs-up from me!

gavilan

Amiga user & abuser since 1988
AmiBayer
Country
Argentina
Region
Buenos Aires
In all my Amiga history (1988-today), i have found around 400 floppy containing music module,s demos, some games etc, around 10 Amiga CD Related, 1 Magnavox Amiga/Commodore compatible monitor working in perfect conidtion, one night i was dating a beatiful girl, friend of my sister 8we ended up having the date the 3 of us, but thats another funny story) and 2 A500 complete (working after a heavy cleaning) in some of the big garbage cans that the city of Buenos Aires has spreaded all over the city....

4 Commodores, 1 128 and 3X 64 also count?? (y)

Never found a Toaster or a PPC card or a Picasso IV tough :D

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Back, when I had just returned to retro computing, I had a wanted ad at my university's newsgroups for a Commodore 1541. I had already found one, when I received an email from this person that said he had one in a warehouse and I could come and pick it up.

I got the 1541 plus a Commodore 128, a 1531 tape drive, couple of joysticks and a bunch of original games, including Test Drive and a Diskette version of World Games. There was also an original version of CP/M. All I had to do was to let him know if they still worked. Needless to say they did. :)

There I was with a computer that I had drooled at in magazines as kid, when I had to make due with a Vic-20. I have also a C64 but I prefer to use the C128, when I do retro stuff.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Makes me think that I may have saved a fair few without really knowing. Certainly remember one guy saying he was thinking of chucking 2 boxed 500's and a 600 all complete with 1Mb RAM expansions each.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If that would happen to me, i would be digging on the container park right now :D

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
About 3 months ago, I saw parts from what looked like an A4000T in my father's scap pile (He gets stuff from a recycling company, extracts the gold). I found: A3640, 4000T disk unit (mutilated) and the remains of a Merlin Zorro card. I quickly called the company, the guy said "What the hells an Amiga?" I told him "An old, 68k based machine worth $$$$, much more than those old tandy" I sent him a photo, but I was too late...

I later snagged the 3640 from the scrap, but my 3000 died shortly after getting it, I getting it fixed though, so maybe i'll finally test it?

Top Bottom