Simple upgrades to the A600/1200

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
Hi guys.

Has anyone tried replacing the left/right phono sockets on the A600/1200 with a 3.5mm stereo output?

Also, has anyone tried putting internal speakers into their machine? I have done a simple one based on some pound shop components (2 * mono amps and speakers, worked quite well, but gets a bit warm!) The problem was (apart from getting hot) cables going out of, then back into the machine.

I now have sourced a very cheap stereo amp and cool lightshow based on 5V power supply, and some tiny speakers.

The problem I am having is working out the circuit on the motherboard. the l/r phonos seem to be sharing their lines. Can someone who has tried this shed a littel light? Ideally I want to still have external speakers when I want them, but internal at the flick of a switch.

Any takers for this silly idea of mine?:nuts:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Has anyone tried replacing the left/right phono sockets on the A600/1200 with a 3.5mm stereo output?

I use a 99p cable from ebay to covert this as I use PeeCee speakers :cool:

Would be interesting to see pics of your work though :bowdown:

Steve.

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
Well I have already removed the RF modulator fromt he motherboard to make way for the indivision, I just wanted to do the same for the audio.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The RCA jacks on the A600/1200 (and on A3000/4000 too) have a little switch: if no RCA plugs inserted on both channels, the sound is mixed into mono.

So to use the internal amplifier(s) you need to plug both the RCA pins (they don't need to be connected to anything).

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
The RCA jacks on the A600/1200 (and on A3000/4000 too) have a little switch: if no RCA plugs inserted on both channels, the sound is mixed into mono.

So to use the internal amplifier(s) you need to plug both the RCA pins (they don't need to be connected to anything).

interesting. So sounds like my mad scheme is possible then?

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
Some success last night, wiring up the tiny, but quite loud speakers. Could have gone with slightly bigger speakers, but was worried about the magnets!! Teh ligthshow looks like fun though, and look forward to playing a megademo with a real lightshow! haha

Does anyone know if there is anywhere on the A600 motherboard, rev 1.5, you can add a hard reset switch?

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
On the CPU pin #18 (DIL) or #20 (PLCC, as on the A600) , short it to ground via a momentary switch to reset.

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
On the CPU pin #18 (DIL) or #20 (PLCC, as on the A600) , short it to ground via a momentary switch to reset.

Thanks matey. Not sure I can use that option since I am going to get one of Jens new ACA600/30 boards.

you know a lot. wish I had the knowledge!!:D

I understand now how the RCA sockets work. Very clever move by hardware guys. Clever little sockets!!

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
HPIM1837.jpg
HPIM1840.jpg

There we go, some initial pics of my work. Not the neatest in the world, but works rather well

Top Bottom