Simplest IDE port, not the best one - for CD0

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Okay - the contenders:

- XSurf 2. Refered to in the manual as "emergency ide ports".
- Question: What is the driver called?

- BCE/Alfadata tandem. Sucks, needs it's own software drivers loaded. Q: The CDROM port on this one only quotes three compatible drives. So I don't like this one so much.

- Catweasel Z-II MkII. Basicly a Buddha. Best one, but still, what is the scsi.device?

Now. The internal A4k ide port is disqualified because I have a flash adapter that's plugged directly onto the motherboard blocking other adapters.

Why not the best? Because I only need a IDE DVD/CD ROM on it (Ignore the DVD part).

But unless someone can point out an obvious contender, I'll go for the Xsurf. But it feels like a waste. Maybe I'll just get a buddha. :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: Simplest IDE port, not the best one - for CD0

hmmmmm this really needs to be based on your need now and any potential need in the future.

Looking at your options, I would consider the possiblity of bringing back the A4000 IDE back into play, there are many options of low profile adapters to be had or made my friend.

other than that, an XSurf really is a dual packge with 2 clockports (which an A4000 lacks) 2 channels of IDE as well as a 10mbit Network card groovey :D

if that is not for you then the buhudda will serve you well with 2 ide channels at 3.5MB a sec throughput plus a couple of clock ports :D

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@arnljot

Why not fit a simple 4 way IDE interface onto the A4000 Mobo's IDE & have the two independant channels.

TC :run:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

TheCorfiot said:
@arnljot

Why not fit a simple 4 way IDE interface onto the A4000 Mobo's IDE & have the two channels

TC :run:

Indeed the A4000 IDE is already buffered so all thats needed is a 4 way adapter with a diode on pin... lemmie think.... bugger its not in my head BUT i will get a speck m8y, its really easy to make one on an extention lead :D

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Hm... I know the A4k ide port is nice. But with a Cybppc there I'm trying to minimize the cables as much as possible to get max airflow. And having only a pair of round ide cable going from the cdrom to a zorrocard seems neatest.

The flash adapter I'm using is standing straight down on the mb. Very neat package.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

Just my 2 penneth :Doh:

IIRC the Xsurf and Tandem don't allow auto booting (n)

Whereas the Buddha and 4 way IDE adaptor do (y)

Dave G 8)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I don't need autobooting. It's for a cdrom I need it.

I just need it to be simple = no device to install. That the drivers are rom resident like they are with the buddah.

So far I have my money on either getting a buddah, or using the catweasel.

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

Buddha is the one i would suggest, since having it too, it's not wasting too much space inside, good when thinking of airflowing inside the case :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

& for my two penneth....

IDE Budda & Elbox PCI mediator solutions = Lock Ups when trying to Surf on a 8139 RealTek Chipset! - Never tried RealTek 8029 tbh, but with Elbox's DMA Fudge anyways, I didn't see the point trying when G-REX 4000D with 10Mbit 8029 blew Elbox's 8139 Fudge into oblivion! - Logic has to play a big part when G-REX 10Mbit trashes Elbox's 10/100 solution!

Even Jens couldn't offer a solution but I had to suck it up & sell the luverly Budda advantages when using this combination! - Bah frikin' Humbug tbh! :bs:

Charlie

*edit* - I have a Working G-rex4000D for sale as well Hessu. :D :| :wink:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

arnljot said:
I don't need autobooting. It's for a cdrom I need it.

I just need it to be simple = no device to install. That the drivers are rom resident like they are with the buddah.
<SNIP>.

Even with ROM-resident "drivers", you need to use some program to recognize the CD or DVD unit. For my personal taste, a NIC is a highly desirable addition. :nod:

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I hadn't considered that areas airflow. Perhaps the Buddha isn't such a bad idea.

The machine we're talking about here will use the Grex I think, so that it'll use a PCI NIC.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Zetr0 said:
Indeed the A4000 IDE is already buffered so all thats needed is a 4 way adapter with a diode on pin... lemmie think.... bugger its not in my head BUT i will get a speck m8y, its really easy to make one on an extention lead :D

That's interesting. Can you give me some more details of this, because being able to expand the A4000's original IDE port to allow 4 devices would be very useful for me. I've wanted to hook up a second spare IDE HD for some time to my A4000.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

Harrison said:
Zetr0 said:

That's interesting. Can you give me some more details of this, because being able to expand the A4000's original IDE port to allow 4 devices would be very useful for me. I've wanted to hook up a second spare IDE HD for some time to my A4000.

amigakit.com used to have such simple A4000D IDE 4x interfaces, IIRC they costed ~13-15GBP ... I don't see them on their site at the moment, but I am sure a quick email will reveal one (y)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Okay, I've looked at this a little.

1) XSurf: Has XSurfIde tool that goes in Sys:Expansions. When Binddrivers is run it patches "scsi.device" and loads xsurf_atapi.device
2) The Tandem card has software which I haven't looked into yet.
3) I think that Catweasel uses buddha software, which means that buddha_atapi.device has to be in DEVS:

So, when using a CDROM I need a device installed no matter, as it's an ATAPI. So atm a buddha seems like the most interesting proposition.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

arnljot said:
2) The Tandem card has software which I haven't looked into yet.

The Tandem driver also goes into the expansion drawer.

Dave G 8)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Have you used the Tandem card, is it generally well compatible with ATAPI devices or is it just the three drives listed in the manual that can be used?

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

arnljot said:
Have you used the Tandem card, is it generally well compatible with ATAPI devices or is it just the three drives listed in the manual that can be used?

I used it in a 2000HD with the original SCSI HD connected to the A2091 and a CD drive hooked upto the Tandem.

I perhaps was lucky because the first CD drive I tried worked without any problems.

Dave G 8)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Hm, Buddha IDE software doesn't work with the catweasel.. :(

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

That sounds strange, i have Catweasel ZII S-Class, which is combination of those two, and it's working without problems. I wonder if it has something different with the installation disk? http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/catweaselz2s, i haven't checked it, and can't at the moment.

Top Bottom