Sky

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, just wanted to have a rant really.

So after suffering drop outs, slow connection and numerous visits from an engineer with Virgin Broadband for the last few months i decided to shop around for a new provider. I gave Virgin my 30 days notice (ends on 31st August) and off i went.

I settled on Sky as i was given a very attractive offer of £70 per month (I was paying £62 with Virgin) for up to 38Mb unlimited fibre broadband, Sky+HD box with all channels (including ALL sports and movies) and telephone.

So my installation date was yesterday (26th) and two engineers showed up, one from BT Openreach to install the phone point for the broadband and one from Sky for the TV.

After about an hour all was installed and appeared to be working fine.

That's when my problems started.

Going through my channels i found that BT Sports channels were showing as not subscribed (My hand written, although signed, contract shows as included) so i gave them a call and was told they can't include BT Sport as its not their channel and i would need to speak to BT.

A call to BT and I was told it would be a further £19.99 (£24.99 for HD) per month and an activation fee of £30!

Being that my contract shows BT Sport channels included i was obviously not pleased. I spoke to my wife and we decided we are getting a better deal now, even without the BT Sport channels, than before and to do without those channels.

So off i went, browsing the web on my broadband setup. I was achieving a reasonable 35Mb speed and pages were responsive. All seemed to be fine so i headed off to bed this morning around 3am after some online games.

Woke up this morning around 8am and i couldn't access the internet. My phone also has no dial tone.

After a few attempted phone calls to sky from my mobile i finally get through and am told its not their problem and i need to speak with BT Openreach.

Another phone call later and i'm told a line test has failed and that i require an engineer to visit and check things out. The problem is they can't do it as the engineer has to be booked by the provider, in this case Sky (despite the fact its Openreach that come out).

A further call to Sky and i'm told i can have an engineer visit the property but not for 7-10 working days! Obviously by now as you can imagine i am very annoyed. So i ask the chap on the phone about my rights to cancel due to the problems and he tells me i have 7 days to cancel. I accept that the engineer is booked and put the phone down contemplating whether i actually want to continue or just call them back and cancel everything right now.

To finish, i have just now (at 9pm) got off the phone with another Sky representative who rang me and told me the other guy had not booked an engineer at all and that he had just done so but one is not available until the 10th September. I told him that i was unhappy with this and that my Virgin services were being disconnected on Monday (31st) and if i wasn't up and running by then he should expect a call to cancel everything. He told me that was my choice and then asked me that when i received a survey at the end of the call could i please give him 10 out of 10 for his call or he would be reprimanded by his team leader!

So now as you can imagine i am very displeased and unsure on what to do.

On the one hand i am getting a pretty decent deal however on the other i am being messed about left right and center and i really don't want to have go back to Virgin and suffer with their services again.

I guess i need to make a decision before Monday.

RED IMPACT

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
See what BT/Sky pull off by the time your existing provider expires and go with what is working...

Sometimes it's better the devil you know ;)

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Virgin is an excellent broadband service if you happen to live in a cabled area, i'm on the 50mb line and when I download I get 6.2mb a second on torrents, no other isp can compete with it imo. As for TV I barely watch any standard TV never mind pay for even more of it, none of it is worth paying for. I get some people have other people to think about as well though so if I was you, and it's definitely in the contract that you were getting those channels I would not let it lie. Don't stop until you get what they promised, it's not you're fault if they cocked up at the very least you can demand a reduced rate for the services you are going to keep (if you do keep them).

Too many people just put up with the bs from these companies and keep quiet (that's why they think they can get away with it), make some noise and get what was promised to you mate.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi Acid, I used to agree, I was on a 120Mb virgin line and maxed it out regularly but over the last six months I have been struggling to achieve better than 20Mb during the day. I do get around 80Mb after 11pm however I also loose connection completely between the hours of 1-2am regularly and get random dropped connections all the time. I have had 3 new super hubs, a stand alone modem with my own provided belkin router, 3 engineers check the line, new cable fed to the house and still I get the same.

This all started happening when my PS3 hdd died and I replaced it with a 1Tb drive and then proceeded to fill that with all my digital games from the PSN store. About two weeks later in with my bill was a letter advising my usage was high and that i'd been put on traffic management watch temporarily. It's problems ever since.

Now ow don't get me wrong I do download some stuff but nothing heavy.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Ye i have heard of people having problems with them as well, i suppose you can only go on your own experience with them and if that's problems then that's how you're going to think of them all the time. Apart from the early days back in 2000/1 it's been mostly plain sailing for me, maybe i just got lucky :)

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Call them back, ask to speak to the Supervisor. Demand that you get the package you originally signed up for, including the Sky sports channels. If they don't install what was originally offered then I believe that would constitute deception and fraud.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Well i had a surprise this morning when i opened the door to a BT Openreach engineer. This despite being told the 10th September and also an email confirming the booking lol.

He tested the line and confirmed a fault. 5 minutes later and i was back up and running. Apparently the previous engineer who installed the line used brittle cable and it had snapped. New wire fitted and BB and phone are working.

Now its just the missing BT Sports channels

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Neither BT or Sky will setup your included BT Sports channels for you. You need to set this up yourself online. I'm not sure how you do it if Sky is your phone provider though. I'm with BT Infinity and just had to log into my BT account online, go to the BT Sport section and select to add BT Sport to my existing Sky account. I then had to enter my Sky viewing card number and it was all setup. I can't remember how long it to to activate, but it wasn't long.. maybe a couple of hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Virgin is an excellent broadband service if you happen to live in a cabled area, i'm on the 50mb line and when I download I get 6.2mb a second on torrents, no other isp can compete with it imo.

Yes they can. I'm on BT Infinity 2, close to the cabinet, and get the full 76 Mbps, and get a constant 9.5MB/s download in both torrents and Steam.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Virgin is an excellent broadband service if you happen to live in a cabled area, i'm on the 50mb line and when I download I get 6.2mb a second on torrents, no other isp can compete with it imo.
-Harrison said:
Yes they can. I'm on BT Infinity 2, close to the cabinet, and get the full 76 Mbps, and get a constant 9.5MB/s download in both torrents and Steam.
If you are talking about speed Virgin do 152mb lines, my mate gets over 12mb a second on his 100mb line. But imo for speed and reliability it's VM all the way where I live.

Last edited:

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Neither BT or Sky will setup your included BT Sports channels for you. You need to set this up yourself online. I'm not sure how you do it if Sky is your phone provider though. I'm with BT Infinity and just had to log into my BT account online, go to the BT Sport section and select to add BT Sport to my existing Sky account. I then had to enter my Sky viewing card number and it was all setup. I can't remember how long it to to activate, but it wasn't long.. maybe a couple of hours.

Its not that i'm struggling to get my BT Sports set up, its that i have a contract saying that BT Sports are included in my Sky package at a cost of £70 per month all in but BT say that Sky cannot include BT Sports as they don't own the channel and therefore i must pay them £19.99 (£24.99 for HD) per month on top of my Sky bill.

I can quite easily set it up but why should i pay for it when my contract says its included in my package. If indeed Sky cannot include it then i've been mis-sold my package and expect a satisfactory outcome. I am still arguing with customer services about this.

Last edited:

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I think Sky will help you resolve this - it seems to be an error on their part.

I have found their service very reliable (Much better than the disaster that was Orange broadband - have they given up now?)

A few years ago when I couldn't get my A1200 to connect to the internet I phoned Sky in desperation - they said they would try all they could to help and then in the next sentence asked if I would click on internet explorer on the amiga. Then when they realised that amiga had no internet explorer they said they currently don't support amiga but hope to support in the future, why do I get the feeling they were reading off a sheet LOL. Ah well at least it was a UK call centre...

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
This sounds like a bait and switch but if you have it in the contract they
will have to do something I know here that is a big no no..

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Its not that i'm struggling to get my BT Sports set up, its that i have a contract saying that BT Sports are included in my Sky package at a cost of £70 per month all in but BT say that Sky cannot include BT Sports as they don't own the channel and therefore i must pay them £19.99 (£24.99 for HD) per month on top of my Sky bill.

I can quite easily set it up but why should i pay for it when my contract says its included in my package. If indeed Sky cannot include it then i've been mis-sold my package and expect a satisfactory outcome. I am still arguing with customer services about this.

It sounds like a bit of confusion all round to me.

BT Sports is provided free for the first 12 months of a new BT Infinity contract and can be accessed both online and via a Sky box (when the viewing card number is registered to BT Sport). If your contract is for Sky Fibre + sky phoneline + Sky TV, then BT themselves can't help you as you don't have a contract with them. If Sky have stated in writing that BT Sports is included in the package, then they are the ones that need to honour and sort this out, although I must say that as a very long standing Sky customers I've never been offered BT Sport directly thought Sky, only via my BT account. But also Sky have been pretty good over the years in sorting out any issues I've had. I've been a Sky TV customer for over 20 years! :eek:

Personally I didn't find BT Sport worth it to me as I don't watch any Football. The only think I watched on it in the whole year I had it free was Tennis once. So when the 12 month free ended I didn't bother renewing it and cancelled the channels. BT were offering it free forever for Infinity customers originally, but changed that this year. So instead now for BT customers you get it free for the first 12 months of your subscription, and then if you renew for another 12 months you get it for £5.99 a month, or £13.99 of you don't renew your contract for another 12 months. I didn't renew my contract as I'm about to move, so just cancelled the channels completely.

Top Bottom