Smelly casing on an A500 power source

• Thread starter Rixa
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 68
R

Rixa

I have this 'light' A500 power source powering my A1200. It starts emitting this unpleasant plastic-y smell when it warms up. I think it's just the plastic casing. If I take the top part off there will be no smell, and warming it up supports it being the smelly part. As far as I can tell from a distance the capacitors look fine, but I'm not good enough with electronics to go poking about them.

Is anyone here learned enough in plastics and/or chemistry to tell if there is anything that can be done about the smell of warm plastic? Is it toxic?

If there is nothing to do, I guess I'm in the market for a new casing. Or a new power source entirely, but I don't want an ugly PC PSU with a humming fan.
Are there any noiseless options? Or pretty options?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
You can get fanless silent PC PSUs. They cost more but are silient. Fit that in an external case of some sort and use the Amiga cable from your original PSU.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I put a PicoPSU (original) inside an old Amiga PSU casing which was looking great but not working:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=70315

Now I have an extra powerful, but completely original looking, PSU for my Amigas which emits very little heat (can't feel it even after running for a long time).
Obviously, one should not make this without knowing something about electricity and high voltages.

Edit: My experience with smelly old electronics is that it often helps quite a bit to clean it up and remove all dust. So if you take it apart and wash the case, it might help with your problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom